alpkit V snugpak bivi bags, which is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, i am looking to buy a new bivi bag, i am considering between the Alpkit Hunka and Snugpak, reason being lightweight and small pack size and low price, they seem similar specifications so if anyone has used these bags out in the field and can give a practical comparison of their performance i would be grateful for that advice, i am particulary interested in which has the best breathability (it will be used with a down bag), snugpak offer two types the standard and also the special forces which has a central half-length zip, alpkit offer two sizes of the hunka but as i am only 5'6'' though broad shouldered i imagine i would not need the XL and the standard size should hopefully be okay for myself, specs according to each website are >> weight, hunka 420g, snugpak standard 340g, snugpak specual forces 420g / hydrostatic head, hunka 10,000mm, both snugpak's are 5000mm / breathabilty, hunka 10,000g/m2/24hr, both snugpak's are 7.5 litres/m2/24hr. If their specs are correct the lightest is the standard snugpak and the most waterproof is the alpkit, i don't really understand the breathabilty specs unfortunately. I am replacing a brit army MVP bivi bag because i find it's weight excessive in comparison to lighter alternatives and it's breathabilty poor as i often suffer damp (i never have my head inside and use a small tarp over head but still i get damp inside, on one occasion the damp froze and i had a thin sheet of ice covering inside of bag, sleeping bag is often damp too) i know many love those bags but i have not been impressed with it so any advice as to the performance of the Hunka versus Snugpak appreciated, particulary as to breathability. Thanks.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I have a hunka, but I have only used it a couple of times so cannot offer you much advice. However, it is very small. I am about 5'10" and although I can get the hood over my head, there is not enough room to have the bag off my my face if i'm on my side (not sure i've done a great job at describing what I mean.). I tried to fit my 3/4 length thermarest in it, but with it in there, theres no room for me. So I think if I was buying again, i'd pick the XL

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks 'Peat' for reply, (description fine i do know what you mean), i had heard they were rather small but being only 5'6'' though stocky i hoped it would be big enough, at 5'10'' if you still felt it small then they be smaller than i thought and i will consider what you have said, thanks.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
if your getting condensation in the mvp (army goretex)bag the other pu bags will be twice as bad, if your going non goretex then the more practical snugpak stratoshere is your better option but not perfect

Personal experience with the Hunka is that it is not small as in short, but when you are in it can be a little tight fitting. It's the only bivi bag I've ever used though so maybe that's normal? I'm 5' 8", carry a bit of excess around the middle admittedly, and I do wonder if I should have gone for the XL or even another brand. I know there is debate about whether to put a self-inflating mat inside or outside the bivi but for me with the Hunka I have no choice, it has to go outside as the two of us won't fit inside.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks for input guys, 'screwdriver' i have looked at the stratosphere but as it weighs 1.13g it's even heavier than my army one (860g) so would not consider it for that reason, if other bags are twice as bad are you advising the army one is the most breathable bivi bag -- 'general lee speaking' it sounds like the alpkit standard really is too small, i would be concerend at my down bag not lofting fully -- 'shewie' my bag is clean and well cared for so breathabilty should not be impeded, it just doesn't perform very well especially in comparison to other peoples, i now have a down bag so am after something more reliable. Maybe my army one is a rogue bag or something but it doesn't perform very well. Thanks for your help folks.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I was wondering if my army bivi bags poor breathability was beacause of it's age, it was bought new (some years ago) and indeed looked new (from army surplus stores) and in the hood it's dated 1996 and says 'Polywarm Products' and was sold as brit army goretex, it has been well cared for and not abused but from the very first trip has always suffered condensation sometimes very badly, i was wondering if the newer ones are improved or something because lots of people seem to recommend the bag, mine just doesn't reflect the same performance. Thanks.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Is the bag OD or DPM? The original OD ones were by The North Face factory in Greenock and having used both i've never had condensation inside and I use a down bag. Is yours perhaps a copy as the army bags are still made in Goretex type material?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, It's the olive green one, (bought from springfield's in Burton), it suffers badly enough to be an issue in use with a down bag which is what i want to do, it just does not peform to the same level as other peoples experience, thanks for reply.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Terra Nova do some nice goretex bags but you pay top dollar for them. I got the Saturn last year and so far have been really impressed.

What's the year of manufacture of your bag, it might be as well to replace it with a newer version

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Year stated inside hood is 1996 so it is quite aged, maybe later versions were made different or improved or something, either way i am replacing it so am looking at options hence post for advice, i will take a good look at the Terra Novea ones, thanks, though finances are not bouyant i really do want something that performs very well so will stretch it to the limit as reliability is paramount, Thankyou.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE