Alpkit Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Another thing to consider is that Silnylon is a swine to sew because it is so thin.

Add to that the seam sealing and re-enforcement at the tension points and it's not a job I would fancy doing myself.

I have to admit I'd be quite tempted by the small one if I hadn't got my pyramid tarp.

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
In the context of silnylon tarps and the crazy prices they command, these look a bargain. For example, my msr e-wing cost £45 and is much smaller than the rig 7.

What suprises me is the weight - 500+ grammes seems a little on the heavy side. Compared to my dd tarp mk 2, which is around 850g (in reality) for 9msq it's not the improvement I'd expect. Though I go notice the stuff sack is labelled cordura, which if my kecks are anything to go by isn't light. The attachment points look a nice design for those of us using walking poles, though.

All in all, I think I'm going to get one. It should be light enough to just leave in my daysack for hill/mountain walking, but big enough to bivi under. Not sure it's a bushcraft bit of kit - but then it's not trying to be. You might as well ask how valid a pair of spandex hot pants are for bushcraft (who hasn't!). But £45 for a devent size silnylon tarp is good value.

Cheers,

Cloughie.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
To buy or not to buy. That is the question!

Whether tis lighter on your back or lighter on your pocket.

Don't know anymore, so will ask. How tuff is this stuff?

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Anyone knows how this Alpkit tarp compares to the DD tarp quality wise?
The DD tarp being slightly lighter per cm² and much cheaper.
So what are the drawbacks of DD's PU (3,000mm) coated polyester compared to Alpkit's 30D siliconised nylon ?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think other posters have said that it compares well with other sil-nylon tarps. I have the Kathmandu basha which is the similar size to the rig 7 (2.5m x 2.5m) and I find that it is a two man if set up as a ridge. I have looked at the lifter detail of the ALpkit on and can say that it looks better made than the one I have (which was highly recommended by the TGO magazine gear tester a few years back). They are both aimed at the weight conscious backpacker and not at the fire wielding bushcrafter. Of course both my basha and this tarp are actually heavy in the UL backpacking world.

IMHO the smaller one is a definite 2 man and the larger one must take quite a few more. I reckon that you can always get more people under one of these. Take mo0untain marathoners they fit into one of those 1+ tents that are too small for any single person over 5'10" let alone two large men.

Weight-wise these are mid to heavyweight for sil-nylon. You can get lighter but they would be smaller. Overall a good compromise between plenty of space and weight. I would say these were for beginners in the lightweight, backpacking game who are switching over to tarps but have no idea how small you can take them and still get adequate shelter. Once you gain experience a UL backpacker will often switch to a micro tarp and bivvy with a total weight of much less than this. Some get down to a solo shelter of about 200g.

IMO these are very good prices and I would have got the smaller one if I hadn't got the basha at the Outdoor Show in March this year. That and the Hunka XL if I hadn't got the Rab Survival Zone.

The sil-nylon is a lighter and stronger material than the Polyester in the DD one. It should have a higher HH than the 3000mm in the Polyester. UV resistance is good with the treatments involved however Polyester has better inherent UV resistance. Tear strength is better with sil-nylon. and explains why only cheap tents use polyester and once you start paying out a bit you get a sil-nylon flysheet. But do note officially to be waterproof a fabric needs only to achieve a 1000mm HH (hydrostatic head) so 3000mm is 3 times better but I would not want to stay under a 1000mm HH shelter. 3000mm is the minimum IMO.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I agree about the mountaineer post, most hardcore mountaineers will sleep anywhere and under anything. In fact you do hear of them kipping on park benches on their way to the mountains. I think it was Andy Kirkpatrick who pioneered a high altitude alpine mountain ascent system of shelter. One carries a bivvy bag and they carry a bombproof tent between them. If they can't get the tent up because of conditions or small footprint on the ledge then one uses the bivvy and the other uses the flysheet as a bivvy. Of course the ideal is to use the tent properly but this set-up means you both get a shelter without carrying two bivvies.

Not sure about it myself as I'm not a climber.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Sorry to ressurect an old thread.

I saw one of these alpkit rig 7 tarps in use this weekend,they are the mutts nuts.Plenty of room under them,loads of guying points , extremely waterproof and pack into a tiny bag.They are lighter than my lightweight waterproof jacket and really cheap for the quality ,which is excellent.

Mine should be here today.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to ressurect an old thread.

I saw one of these alpkit rig 7 tarps in use this weekend,they are the mutts nuts.Plenty of room under them,loads of guying points , extremely waterproof and pack into a tiny bag.They are lighter than my lightweight waterproof jacket and really cheap for the quality ,which is excellent.

Mine should be here today.

I didn't realise they were back in stock Chris, is the 7 the smaller one ?

I think it's the bigger one I need for hammocking.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I didn't realise they were back in stock Chris, is the 7 the smaller one ?

I think it's the bigger one I need for hammocking.

Dude, why this for a hammock? If you're spending dosh you might as well spend a touch more and go for a dedicated hammock tarp. I'm waiting on Brian at OES for more spinnUL so I can order a MacCat Deluxe, but he does them in Silnylon as well at ~82£+P&P, plus he can do customizations including additional edge tieouts, face tieouts, and different dimensions. You'll get better coverage, less weight and an easier cat-cut tarp to put up.

(no ties just a happy customer blah-de-blah)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE