Alpkit Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
I must admit that I'm a huge fan of the guys at Alpkit but this wasn't quite the tarp I was looking for. I'll be sticking with the DD for now and hope that someone makes a holy grail tarp, a lightweight spark resistant multi anchored joy in stone ( colour ).

jbth

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You've missed a point.

These are Sil-nylon tarps which are very light for their size and normally much more expensive.

Good point Gary, I had missed that.

Maybe more aimed at the backpackers then rather than fire toteing bushcrafters. I wouldn't fancy sil-nylons chances against a stray spark.

Tempted for the hills though.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
I agree with Wayland.

I was looking at an Integral Designs 2 man Tarp for lightweight backpacking and they are £130 for similar spec.

The guys at Alpkit will be getting my business now :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Just noticed Alpkit started selling tarps, any comments on their design, price etc?
Or anyone who was extremely fast and already tried one out?

Rig 7:
Features:
* 2-4 man lightweight tarp.
* 30D siliconised nylon.
* Available in 2 colours.
* 8 hypalon reinforced lifter rig points.
* 16 hypalon reinforced exterior rig points.
* Stuff bag.
Specification:
* Approximate measurements.
* Weight (inc stuff bag) 514 gm.
* Stuffed Dimensions: 18 x 14 cm.
* Open Dimensions: 280 x 240 cm.

Rig 21:
Features:
* 4-8 man lightweight expedition tarp
* 30D siliconised nylon.
* Available in 2 colours.
* 8 hypalon reinforced lifter rig points.
* 16 hypalon reinforced exterior rig points.
* Stuff bag.
Specification:
* Weight (inc stuff bag): 883 gm
* Stuffed Dimensions: 22 x 16 cm.
* Open Dimensions: 450 x 280 cm.

Cheers,
Lasse

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
No Drama :)

My opinion is whilst I like the weights quoted, they must be using little men to measure them ...

* 2-4 man lightweight tarp. - Open Dimensions: 280 x 240 cm. (I'd say thats 1 man basha sized!)

* 4-8 man lightweight expedition tarp - Open Dimensions: 450 x 280 cm. (cosy! :eek: )

(but then I'm 6'1" and 15 Stone :eek: )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've merged the threads but I have left the posts because Lasse 2 gives the specs of the tarps in question in his post :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I like Alpkit, I really do, but.......silnylon costs me, in small quantities, not rolls, about £6.50 a metre at 1.40m wide (60")

So if you were to make the Rig 21 yourself, which goes for £75, you'd be paying 2,8m*4,5m*£6,5/1,4m² or £58,5 for the fabric.
For the Rig 7, costing £45, that would be: 2,8m*2,4m*£6,5/1,4m² or about £31.

The added £15 in Alpkit's price for both is quite reasonable for the labour and added details, isn't it?
(I don't have a clue about how much you would have to be paid to make this or how much the added details cost, not to mention I don't know how to use a needle properly ;) )
Then again, they aren't buying by the metre and probably have cheap labour so an other company might be able to do sell it cheaper I guess...

And apparently their material is at least a couple of grams lighter weight for the Rig 21:
4,5m*2,8m*0,098kg/1,4m² = 0,882 kg vs Alpkit's 0,883 kg including extras.
But, I repeat, I don't know anything about materials etc ;)

Cheers,
Lasse

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My comment was what I would have to pay, not a company buying in bulk.
I don't generally look around for this type of fabric but after I posted earlier today I was talking with someone else. He said he would supply it for £2.75 a metre, and that wasn't trade............

Horses for courses tbh.

Personally I pack as lightly as I can, but I want coverage, not a struggle to keep dry if I am taking a tarp along.
6 metres of 1.40 wide fabric will give me a tarp of 3m x 2.80, so under £20 for materials, and that's including guys, eyelets and thread.
Or even at Point North prices, 6 x £6.50 = £39, cheaper and I still get a bigger tarp.

As I said, horses for courses.

cheers,
Toddy

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
My comment was what I would have to pay, not a company buying in bulk.
I don't generally look around for this type of fabric but after I posted earlier today I was talking with someone else. He said he would supply it for £2.75 a metre, and that wasn't trade............

Horses for courses tbh.

Personally I pack as lightly as I can, but I want coverage, not a struggle to keep dry if I am taking a tarp along.
6 metres of 1.40 wide fabric will give me a tarp of 3m x 2.80, so under £20 for materials, and that's including guys, eyelets and thread.
Or even at Point North prices, 6 x £6.50 = £39, cheaper and I still get a bigger tarp.

As I said, horses for courses.

cheers,
Toddy

One big and one small please Mary :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
No Drama :)

My opinion is whilst I like the weights quoted, they must be using little men to measure them ...

Remember who Alpkit started out selling to - mainly mountaineers! Frankly, you'll get get 4 mountaineers under a ripped carrier bag - for some reason, we like wet cold locations with not enough protection from the elements...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE