Alpkit, Nanok or Stormlite!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prickly Pear

Mar 28, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
Sorry to dredge this one up again. Been searching for various comments on these, but its difficult to pull them together for a decent comparison. Also there doesn't seem to be able any review on the Stormlite (around anywhere) which does not help.

This would be my first sleeping bag. So basically it's going to a best guess on suitability. I’m a fairly skinny build so wouldn’t really fill the bag up (read some comments regarding this and the Nanok on another thread). I’m also In the process of purchasing all the requirements for a decent hammock set up - so that’s where it'll be.

So the options are a Nanok endurance -10, which people seem to be fairly happy with here, Stormlite on sale in field&trek or an Alpkit. I'm seriously tempted by the down bag options of the Alpkit or Stormlite.

Nanok Endurance -10 £99 Rating: -10
Alpine Dream 700 : £90 Rating: -12
Stormlite 1000 for £64 (rrp 129) Rating: -20 (apparently)

The alpkit appears to use higher grade down but has a 300g lower fill rate than the Stormlite.

The other thing I’m not sure of is of the water protection of the down bags. From what I can gather the Alpkit has no such treatment (hence the cost). Where as the Stormlite is stated to have a water resistant nylon ripstop outer. How effective that is - god knows. However this is the main factor drawing me to this one (along with the sale price). Having said all that, still ain't sure.

I've also read regarding the whole down vs. synthetic debate that down is much better in varied conditions. I.e. not to hot when its warm, yet keeps you warm when its cold, because of its breathability.

So question is, if it was your hard earned, which would you get and why?

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
It really is a personal choice I'm afraid. Over the last 35 years I've used a variety of bags with a variety of fillings. Down bags are generally much lighter and pack smaller than synthetic for a given temperature range; the trade-off is that they are basically a bit more "fragile" - so you should treat them a bit more carefully, and they handle damp conditions less well.
I've never used either the Alpkit or Stormlite bag, but if you go for down, and you won't be inside a tent and there is a risk of damp conditions you would be silly not to use a goretex bivi bag to protect the sleeping bag. Same goes for the Nanok really, but down REALLY doesn't handle the damp well, and is a right b*gger to dry out in the field.
I use Nanok bags, they are excellent and robust, and I personally like the double zip arrangement on the Endurance range, but I know that others are'nt that keen on that feature, and they are heavier and bulkier than a down- filled equivalent.
Nanok are pretty good with their temp ratings - I've no idea about the other two; depends how the makers measure, and also whether you sleep warm or cold

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the Nanok. I freeze trying to get to sleep, then get too warm when I am asleep. I like to be able to cover my head snugly but still have my face clear to breathe and yet be able to unzip the front panel without fuss when I'm in that too warm asleep stage. My only complaint is that it's too long, but then I'm just under 5' 3", :rolleyes: so I fold the foot underneath and it creates an extra insulation layer under my feet. I find a down bag smells, regardless of how carefully I air it, I have no fuss with the Nanok.
My sons have acquired my North Face bag and the Ajungilak one too. I was permanently cold in the NF one, and it was supposedly a five season. Son2, all 6' of him, thinks it's a Good Thing :confused: The Ajungilak I don't miss though Son1 loves it. :D
Best advice? Find someway to try them out, before you buy, if at all possible.

Cheers,
Toddy

Prickly Pear

Mar 28, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
Thanks for the replies and sound advice. Certainly a unanimous decision so far.

I usually take more notice of the complaints regarding kit, than appraisals. In the case of the nanok, there isn't many to be found at all, so that has to be a good sign. With all the experience of the users (on here) that consider this a worthy bag, it's a pretty safe bet I guess. Certainly given me something to think about.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've heard good things about snugpak sleeping bags too (not had any personal experience) - they come in a bit cheaper than your options too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE