Alpkit Hunka leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Evening all

My hunka bivi bag leaked (quite badly!) over the weekend while in the brecon beacons.

The rain was hitting it where my feet were stuck out of my tarp a bit, and the bottom of my doss bag was drenched by morning.

Could it be possible that the fabric was faulty on mine, as have heard some good reports on the hunka, on the whole. I've only used it a few times and never really got it wet "in action" before.

The thing that attracted me to the hunka was that its super lightweight, but im thinking i might revert back to an army goretex one, as had many a wet night in these without issues.

cheers

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The Hunka is less breathable than an issue bivi bag, and the foot end of the bag is always where the most condensation gathers. It's the obvious question, but are you sure that it wasn't simply heavy condensation? Was your sleeping bag wet on the inside or just the outside?

I'm not sure how the mesh bag could pass water through the membrane to be honest, but if wet, it would both prevent the bag breathing in that area, and cool the outside surface which would both lead to large increases in condensation in the foot area.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm following this thread with interest, i've been considering swapping my issue gore-tex bag or something a bit smaller/lighter for a while now and the hunka (so far) has been at the top of my list. i'd be interested to hear what other people think about it as a product, has anyone else had a similar experiance or do people generally find them to be a good product?

stuart

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
i'm following this thread with interest, i've been considering swapping my issue gore-tex bag or something a bit smaller/lighter for a while now and the hunka (so far) has been at the top of my list. i'd be interested to hear what other people think about it as a product, has anyone else had a similar experiance or do people generally find them to be a good product?

stuart

Stuart- I have done exactly that, and i find it OK. I havn't tested it in heavy rain though, so can't comment on that side, but having inspected it, i don't feel there should be a problem there (although the above posters feel differently!). The standard one isn't nearly as generous in size as the issue bag- not too much of a problem unless you are a big bloke (i'm 6ft3, but reletively skinny- it fits me ok), or you have a huge sleeping bag (in which case it might compress the loft)- if these could be a problem, then go for the xl version.

It is significantly lighter than the issue item, and much more compressable- i've been very pleased. Not too much money either, so if i tear it beyond repair, I won't cry for too long. I use it for army type stuff, and its held up well.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Stuart- I have done exactly that, and i find it OK. I havn't tested it in heavy rain though, so can't comment on that side, but having inspected it, i don't feel there should be a problem there (although the above posters feel differently!). The standard one isn't nearly as generous in size as the issue bag- not too much of a problem unless you are a big bloke (i'm 6ft3, but reletively skinny- it fits me ok), or you have a huge sleeping bag (in which case it might compress the loft)- if these could be a problem, then go for the xl version.

It is significantly lighter than the issue item, and much more compressable- i've been very pleased. Not too much money either, so if i tear it beyond repair, I won't cry for too long. I use it for army type stuff, and its held up well.

thanks for that mate, it's good to have a real world opinion about these things before splashing out (i know it's only 30 quid but i'm both poor and tight). being able to cope with heavy rain isn't something that i find to be massively important in a bivi bag to be honest, acting as a moisture barrier metween me and the floor/keeping the wind off/adding a bit of warmth to my sleeping bag are my priorities for a bivi bag (probably in that order too), the tarp/tent/shelter is there to keep off the rain. condensation is more of a concern, i'm not too keen on waking up in a puddle of my own sweat, it just doesn't do it for me. have you/anyone used it on an unexpectedly hot night, and if so how did it cope with that? as for the size.............i've never needed anything XL in my life, 2Xstuart=the average bushcrafter!

cheers

stuart

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Argh! Have just done the fill with water test and it is sound as a pound - so it must have been condensation! What i did notice is that when the fabric gets wet, it gets very cold and with the heat of the feet the other side it must be a right sweat trap!

Sorry did not realise i put this in the SWAP section, but if anyone wants to swap a green alpkit hunka bivi bag for something i may well be interested.......

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
sorry, couldn't resist that.

as you may have already noticed (sorry about the thread hijack) i'm quite interested in getting one of these, what kinda thing you after for a swap?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE