Alpkit 'Hunka' bivi review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hey there,

The other week I bought a Hunka along with a 30ltr Stealthy Gourdon bag. I've already spoke, at some length, about the bag. This weekend I had a great opportunity to try out the Hunka bivi bag. I spent the weekend down in the Midlands at Knightly Park on a weekend bushcraft course run by Jonny Crockett of Survival School. The first night was cold and damp. Thick fog with temps down to around freezing. the following day was a bit warmer but night time temps dropped to minus 2c or minus 3c. The area was never dry, continually wet. So this was a great place to see how good the Hunka was.

There are loads of factors that will affect the performance of any bivi bag. Your sleeping bag, what type of mat you are using( if any ), how hot your body is, how much you sweat, humidity of the air, any breeze etc. I used a rather poor Gelert sleeping bag, which in previous outings hasn't kept me warm at temps around plus 3c, a 3/4 length Gelert selfinflating mat and a silk liner.

The first night was under a tarp, with my feet end on the ground. Next morning my sleeping bag was 100% dry top to tail, Hunka was slightly damp feeling but I reckon that was more the cold that actual wetness. Second night was spent in a kennel or A frame shelter, same gear. Woke up in the morning 100% dry again even the foot end which was on the ground again and touching the shelter.

Rolled everything up and got home, some 12 hours later, unpacked. The Hunka was damp at the foot end when I packed it away - I keep my bivi, sleeping bag and liner together so that it's a doddle to set up. The damp had made it's way through to the sleeping bag but not by much. To me this isn't a problem, I packed it away damp, didn't dry it at all or air it which if I really was thinking this morning I would have and should have.

The Hunka is fairly light, mine weighs in at around 395 grams. The full stats are available from Alpkit here other reviews can be found here. The integrated stuff 'pocket' is a good idea, but is very fiddley to use. The material seems to be strong enough to handle the average forest floor, but as with most sharp pointy things will puncture it. Some people have mentioned the size of the bivi being a bit tight. If you want to have a bivi bag that you can store kit in as well as your sleeping bag, this is not for you. This bivi is strictly for your sleeping bag (and you of course) If you want your kit dry use a drybag of your choice.

Nag.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks for your views Nag,

I've kept from buying one as I prefer the space in my army bivi.

I've long since came to the conclusion that a good warm nights kip makes up for any savings in size and weight of your sleep system.

Cheers,

Tom.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Nag,

Excellent review, considered, measured, objective, and with informative links.

Sounds like a good couple of day's and nights out.

Many thanks.

+1 On Barn Owl's point about a good night's sleep.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks for your views Nag,

I've kept from buying one as I prefer the space in my army bivi.

I've long since came to the conclusion that a good warm nights kip makes up for any savings in size and weight of your sleep system.

Cheers,

Tom.

yeah, thanks mate, i've had my eye on these fora wee while now...

still undecided! :lmao:

cheers, and.

Cheers everyone for your replies. Barn Owl, I haven't used an Army one for years and years since they got issued way back in the day, as far as I can see there is no performance issue comparing the Hunka to the Army bivi. If anything I remember my sleeping bag being slightly damp, and I mean slightly- a few mins in the air would clear it up. Now of course I've yet to use my new bivi in all the situations I did with the Army one, and don't think I'll be spending too much time either at BATUS or UNIFCYP soon.. :lmao:, but honestly other than the space issue - which admittedly is a big deal for a lot of people, the Hunka is a brilliant bit of kit.

sargey, if you want a bit of space in your bag, don't get the Hunka. If all you want is to be dry then you really can't go wrong with it, in my opinion the price is good, it's light weight and does exactly what it says it will.

Nag.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the review!

Probably won't be able to resist next time I order something from Alpkit... Damn you! ;)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Good review - thanks!

How would the Hunka work for someone taller than average - say 195cm?

Cheers,

Huon

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Good review - thanks!

How would the Hunka work for someone taller than average - say 195cm?

Cheers,

Huon

As far as length goes from bottom to the opening is around 172cm, and to top of hood around 215ish. Width is 80 cm at top and 53 at bottom - note the widths are measured flat so will be radically reduced once you put your sleeping bag and yourself into them.

I would suspect that if you are tallish then the Hunka may not be the bag for you, it will be possibly too neat. What to do is contact Alpkit directly and ask their opinion too. I know they are getting a bigger version of the Hunka made but as to how much bigger and how much more expensive it will be... time will only tell.

Nag.

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
I bought one of these earlier this year and have been really pleased with it. Like all Alpkit gear it's good value for money. I team it with one of their down bags. I'd agree that it's a "snug" fit for someone of average build like me so probably less suitable for someone with a larger frame.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
When do you need a bivi bag? Is it useful in all weather, only when proper cold, only when wet, only when you are not in a tent or are in a hammock?

A bivi bag is useful most of the time, unless you are lucky enough to always camp in perfect conditions. Even then it's useful at keeping your sleeping bag clean, keeping dust and dirt off etc. etc. If used during a bit of cold camping, it can add a degree or so making you a little more comfortable, by keeping any wind off your sleeping bag and creating another pocket of air which acts as insulation. During damp or wet weather it should keep your kip bag dry. You can use it anywhere, it really doesn't matter, a tent should be dry inside, but tents are bag for condensation and if they leak(and they do, I was camping in January this year and woke to find a puddle of water soaking my kip bag) you'll be thankfull for using a bivi too. Hammocks or tarps are the obvious reasons to use a bivi for exactly the same reasons as above.

Add a sleeping bag liner, made of silk and you help keep the inside of your sleeping bag cleaner and will also add a little more warmth. For ease I always pack my liner, sleeping bag and bivi all ready use to roll out and use, compressed into the sleeping bags compression sack.

Nag.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
... For ease I always pack my liner, sleeping bag and bivi all ready use to roll out and use, compressed into the sleeping bags compression sack...

That's a good tip, it also helps keep your sleeping bag dry if your rucksack gets wet. I'll usually stick the whole lot compressed into a dry bag too just to be on the safe side.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
That's a good tip, it also helps keep your sleeping bag dry if your rucksack gets wet. I'll usually stick the whole lot compressed into a dry bag too just to be on the safe side.

An excellent tip too! Of course if using the Gourdon dry bag / backpack... :lmao:I should get commission from Alpkit.. :p

Nag.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Just a bit of extra info on the Hunka...

I ve used one for just over a year now. I took it to Norway last March and spent 5 nights in a snowhole. The Hunka performed well in what was basically a defrosting freezer!

Also used in Welsh woodland overnighters, bivvying on top of the Glyders and to help 'winterise' my Hennessy Hammock. No complaints from any of these trips, and it has by far exceeded my expectations. I've reproofed it with Nikwax TX Direct once and it still has a visible DWR effect....

It is a bit smaller than i would like, but then again i am 6'2" and sturdily built!

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Further to my earlier post I`ve now had a chance to use it in earnest.The weekend just gone saw the temperatures plumate and I was able to use it for two nights on the trot,while it was dry and did not test it`s waterproof capabilties it was very cold and after both nights there was no codensation inside the bag at all so I would say that it is a hit so far.
Litefoot.:)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
It is a bit smaller than i would like, but then again i am 6'2" and sturdily built!

Ive owned one for little over a year now,

I think its a bit on the narrow side for my liking, Ive read on other sites concerns that it can restrict the lofting of down bags, at the New Year meet, i found i was warmer when i was not in the bivvy bag, thus adding to those concerns, im using a Alplit Pipedream 600 bag.

Also the alpkit regular airic does not fit inside it ( i like alpkit stuff to! :D ). I prefer a bigger bag such as the Army dpm bivvy that verloc has and i think it is more suited to my needs, is all personal preference.

It is a very good water proof and robust bag if your happy for the narrow width, and seems very durable with no signs of a hole showing, i will use it but, its not my favorite peace of kit.

Stoo.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Ive owned one for little over a year now,

I think its a bit on the narrow side for my liking, Ive read on other sites concerns that it can restrict the lofting of down bags, at the New Year meet, i found i was warmer when i was not in the bivvy bag, thus adding to those concerns, im using a Alplit Pipedream 600 bag.

Also the alpkit regular airic does not fit inside it ( i like alpkit stuff to! :D ). I prefer a bigger bag such as the Army dpm bivvy that verloc has and i think it is more suited to my needs, is all personal preference.

It is a very good water proof and robust bag if your happy for the narrow width, and seems very durable with no signs of a hole showing, i will use it but, its not my favorite peace of kit.

Stoo.

as i posted on another thread regarding the hunka, i contacted alpkit yesterday and they said the XL version of the hunka will be available in around a month. Something to bear in mind if your reading this, large, and thinking of getting one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE