Alone (UK) TV series. What ten items would you choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I will content myself with a single item, and that is a well appointed portacabin with a well stocked minibar, like the one Bear Grylls uses. I may not actually come out of it between takes, who cares it is just entertainment :)

Reactions: Woody girl

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just watched the UK version of alone. I didn't really find it that enjoyable and it just seemed to me like a desperate struggle for all the competitors many of whom lacked the necessary skills and mindset. One of the competitors had an extremely anti nature profanity outburst when he missed a duck with an arrow. Whilst others repeatedly complained and longed to be elsewhere. I also found the overcoming issues, mental health slant a bit much. I think it unlikely, given the reviews, there will be a second series but I decided to have a go and filled in the application for a potential second series. I live in a tent full time and never see anyone anyway so I'd be off to a flyer I reckon lol. As ever I would love to hear your views on it and what would be your ten items and why? Here is a link to what you can have.
I now have completely changed my mind about what I said originally. I just read the show notes and the points I highlighted are the nuts and bolts of the show ie: Lack of experience, overcoming issues and everyday people trying to survive. I guess I was just just comparing it the the USA series. I now think it actually needed some new slants as there is only so far you can go with bearded Americans and bows and arrows. So I reserve the right to be totally wrong, do a 180 turn and stand corrected. ho hum

Reactions: Broch

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I enjoyed the U.K. version more than the US, less macho and more what an average outdoors person from this country would do. It does seem that the loneliness is what get’s people out more than anything, bar injuries so someone who is used to being alone could stand a better chance. Good luck with your entry.
I really considered what you said and dya know what? You are completely right and I have now changed my mind x

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
So.......... what if I've just applied to do the next show........ I think I'll reconsider that kit list........

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
So.......... what if I've just applied to do the next show........ I think I'll reconsider that kit list........
Good idea VW. I have just made an application to go on it. I've researched the list and chosen my ten items. Watch some of the shows and see what you think, x

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Good idea VW. I have just made an application to go on it. I've researched the list and chosen my ten items. Watch some of the shows and see what you think, x
It's extremely unlikely that I'll be chosen for the show, but 'if you dont go, you'll never know' so I thought I'd have a crack.... fingers crossed to ya I hope you get it!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
It's extremely unlikely that I'll be chosen for the show, but 'if you dont go, you'll never know' so I thought I'd have a crack.... fingers crossed to ya I hope you get it!
you never know. you got to be in it to win it. I think based on the last series it's anyone's to enter and win. I wouldn't even apply for the American version though. That is a contest between all the best people from, bush craft, hunting and primitive skills. Many of them are professional or dedicate their lives to it. x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
@thejokebloke what were your 10 items?
good point. I was getting round to it.
1. Multi tool, Swiss army knife preferably
2. Saw
3. Axe
4. Bow and arrows
5. Ferro rod
6. Sleeping bag
7.Para cord
8. Fishing line and hooks
9. snare wire
10. Pan, with 3 months supply of pizza and ice cream.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I watched the UK series, I commend the folks for having a go and they did very well indeed, but I didn't enjoy it if I'm being honest.

I much preferred the US format of the show which selected individuals who were at the top of their game and seemingly knew what they were doing. I enjoyed watching them being put to task and learning how they were overcoming the challenges.

The UK version was ok, I just found it frustrating to watch. I think it would be great to see the UK version follow the US format and select a group of UK contestants who are more knowledgable and experienced.

Anyhow, my ten items:
1. Fixed blade knife
2. Saw
3. Ferro rod
4. Tarp
5. Cordage
6. Fart sack (or preferably a decent wool blanket if that's acceptable?)
7. Billy can
9. Bow and arrows
10. Jerky

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I watched the UK series, I commend the folks for having a go and they did very well indeed, but I didn't enjoy it if I'm being honest.

I much preferred the US format of the show which selected individuals who were at the top of their game and seemingly knew what they were doing. I enjoyed watching them being put to task and learning how they were overcoming the challenges.

The UK version was ok, I just found it frustrating to watch. I think it would be great to see the UK version follow the US format and select a group of UK contestants who are more knowledgable and experienced.

Anyhow, my ten items:
1. Fixed blade knife
2. Saw
3. Ferro rod
4. Tarp
5. Cordage
6. Fart sack (or preferably a decent wool blanket if that's acceptable?)
7. Billy can
9. Bow and arrows
10. Jerky

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I just finished binge watching it of an evening. I thought it was a good show. I prefer it over the US versionn which I couldn't watch due to (how I thought) the over dramatisation of things. I orefer to watch the highlight bits on YouTube! . The US version (as mentioned) has professionals on it who all do much of the same. The UK version was more to my taste and I liked how it showed the emotional swings that they all went through.

I was absolutely hoping that one would win and I literally said 'oh you effing idiot don't do it' when they tapped out despite (I think) being the most physically in shape, best fed person out there. But I guess that's what it was all about wasn't it? How much can you take in your head.....

I'd love to do it. I genuinely reckon I'd stay the course just through sheer bloody mindedness and being able to compartmentalise everything in my life into the here and now.... but then again, I could tap out on day two because I fly into a petulant rage over mice crawling over my sleeping bag, who knows......

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just finished binge watching it of an evening. I thought it was a good show. I prefer it over the US versionn which I couldn't watch due to (how I thought) the over dramatisation of things. I orefer to watch the highlight bits on YouTube! . The US version (as mentioned) has professionals on it who all do much of the same. The UK version was more to my taste and I liked how it showed the emotional swings that they all went through.

I was absolutely hoping that one would win and I literally said 'oh you effing idiot don't do it' when they tapped out despite (I think) being the most physically in shape, best fed person out there. But I guess that's what it was all about wasn't it? How much can you take in your head.....

I'd love to do it. I genuinely reckon I'd stay the course just through sheer bloody mindedness and being able to compartmentalise everything in my life into the here and now.... but then again, I could tap out on day two because I fly into a petulant rage over mice crawling over my sleeping bag, who knows......
What are your revised ten items now you are going on the show?

Reactions: Van-Wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE