Alone in the Wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In 1898, prospectors entering the Yukon via the Chilkoot Trail had to carry in a ton of supplies - the Mounties weighed it at Scales Camp to check.

I think Ed did rather well, and probably better than many. He did seem rather emotional and I wasn't sure how much of this was isolation, starvation, or encouragement from the producers to make throw in a bit of emotional turmoil to make it more dramatic.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
I think he done well, and it shows how the majority of people would really fair in the same situation, not as easy as expected.

It would be really nice if he had spent a week or so practicing the skills on site, prior to his expidition. Or as stated, if there were a small group going in together.

Agreed, walking camp to camp was a bad idea, too much energy needed.
He was clearly (quiet rightly!) petrified of the bears, at first.
Good to see he looks like in the next episode he is fairing better.

Good to see he had the courage to take it on, and if I ever meet him, I'd pat him on the back and buy him a beer!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In 1898, prospectors entering the Yukon via the Chilkoot Trail had to carry in a ton of supplies - the Mounties weighed it at Scales Camp to check.

I think Ed did rather well, and probably better than many. He did seem rather emotional and I wasn't sure how much of this was isolation, starvation, or encouragement from the producers to make throw in a bit of emotional turmoil to make it more dramatic.

Spot on Doc, a lot of people here and on other bushcraft forums are deluded enough to think they could survive in the UK or Canada etc when the reality is a totally different case. I said before, the old time mountain men took the bulk of their food in with them and fresh meat and fish was a bonus food but some modern bushcrafters seem to ignore this information. There are very, very few weekend camps in the UK where the lads meet up with no food at all and rely of wild food, lets be honest it just does not really happen and if it does I bet they get home Sunday hungry.

The majority of us stop off at the trading post often known as Tesco or Asda on our way to camp and the weekend revolves around good food, some drinks and good company and nothing wrong with that.

So all us 'armchair experts' should take our hats off to this guy, he's shown some real spirit and has my total respect.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I found it interesting the way building a shelter really lifted his spirits. I guess its true about the feeling of homliness associated with shelter and fire. that was the highlight for me, seeing his emotions lift at the building and completion of his lean to.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just watched tonights episode on Ch4 +1, was anybody else thinking about building a simple raft out of dead pine trees and gently paddling down the lake shore. It seemed really hard work trying to make progress through the thick undergrowth with little reward for his efforts.

Really enjoying it but I do find myself shouting stuff at the tv sometimes.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
If I was on Tincup lake and struggling to make a meal, I would have gone for a bit of dumpster diving maybe.....................www.tincup-lodge.com

Wouldn't have made for as good TV though.

Pete, there's a LODGE there?!?!

Oh. My. God. Good catch, man... With hunters and fishermen around?

Wow. "Alone in the Wild" has been officially busted by one of our own... Next time I'm in Whitehorse (next summer!), I'm buying you a cup of coffee for catching this one out!

Based on the the Nat Geo maps of his destination and the info on the site, he wasn't more than a mile or so from the lodge....

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
If I was on Tincup lake and struggling to make a meal, I would have gone for a bit of dumpster diving maybe.....................www.tincup-lodge.com

Wouldn't have made for as good TV though.

Looking further into the Tin-Cup lodge site, it appears they have fixed tents and fishing expeditions to Dogpack lake where Wardle started out too.

In other words, he was never alone. Worse case: people were on the other side of the lake.

Hmmm... How about "Semi Alone in the Wild: The taie of one man's struggle to starve when all around him are eating cake...."

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
I wasn't busting it, or trying to. I was just trying to drop a bit of humour into the thread.
There is a lodge there. People with cash go fishing there.
He set out to go and be alone, and acheived that by isolating himself.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The lodge is immaterial. Some small psychological comfort maybe. or envy.

All your survival shows have people near at hand and the contracts call for it.

You can be in deep doo doo a few hundred yards from a camp/road and it makes little difference if you are alone.

How often do you read of people stranded a hundred miles from anywhere?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The lodge is immaterial. Some small psychological comfort maybe. or envy.

But the whole thing starts to look utterly false though. For example on the web clips he's weeping because a plane flies over and doesn't tip its wings and it breaks his heart. He "feels so isolated" but the lodge flies people in and out and has boats on the lake.

He's not isolated and the pretense they set up suggests he is.

All your survival shows have people near at hand and the contracts call for it.

But this one makes a BIG deal about how he is completely alone and no one is near, etc. etc. He has a satellite phone or some such to contact people if he's in trouble because he's supposedly so isolated!

Now we know, in fact, if he wanted to he could yell real loud or walk a mile or two and find help. He could wave to the guys in Bermuda shorts fishing from the boats just off shore (and conveniently off camera)!

Now it's clear the situation that's been sold to us isn't the situation that existed at all. And it makes his psychological struggles with all this seem more loopy than they were before.

You can be in deep doo doo a few hundred yards from a camp/road and it makes little difference if you are alone.

No disagreement there. You can be in deep doo doo in your own house too.

But "Alone in Hyde Park" isn't the thrust of the show -- they're selling an illusion that this guy is genuinely isolated when he was not.

It appears the only REAL test this guy faced was resisting the urge to amble over to the lodge for a meal and a chat. That's not exactly the promise of the show, is it?

In other words, what we're really watching is someone having an extreme dieting experience in the woods. :)

I was troubled before that the producers put his life at risk because he was so manifestly unfit for the task -- and the task itself was manifestly dangerous for anyone no matter what the skill set.

Now I'm troubled that the producers are promoting something that is mostly a fiction.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
"In this remarkable documentary, Ed Wardle is dropped into the unforgiving Yukon wilderness with just basic provisions and cameras to film himself as he attempts to survive completely alone in the wild"

Rewritten for accuracy:

"In this remarkable docudrama, Ed Wardle is dropped into the unforgiving Yukon wilderness right next to an exclusive lodge.

He had just basic provisions and cameras to film himself as he attempts to survive while pretending to be alone and avoiding all the other people frolicking nearby on the lake."

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
It looks TV does it again to me, takes the dreams of many, makes a show what we all watch and then comment about but then find we are working with half the information.Well the back up crew had to stay some where!
He did part of what he wanted to do and as he said "I want to live an extraordinary life " I take my hat off to him that and for being able to get Channel 4 to fund it.
Unfortunately with the lodge being there it tends to make it a bit like Big Brother in the woods, and you know how that gets people talking.

76bts

ok watched this last night and thought - this is very tough mentally and I have a lot of respect for the guy. Having now heard there is a lodge at tincup lake puts a different swing on things. Camping hundreds of miles from civilisation is way tougher on the mind than being this close to help and support. This removes a certain degree of survivalism from the challenge. Although I do think the guy has had a tough time although starving yourself to stretch out your rations is pointless in my view - he should have eaten a little more, ok it reduces the likelihood of him lasting as long without calling in support but thats better than becoming hugely depressed over your weight-loss.
Still I am enjoying the show and I do have lots of respect for this guy, I would crack up too spending this amount of time alone (and I do like my own company). On a final point would he not be better setting his snares out on some grassy meadows than the woods, I thought rabbits tend to hang out there more.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE