Alone in the Wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hi.

Since I'm bored today, I've got time off at the start of my annual leave and I'm generally waiting about to go to Achray, I emailed tin cup lodge to see if they had any contact with Ed Wardle. :rolleyes:

They have just replied saying they had no contact with any of the production crew and no-one was staying at the lodge at the time.

Here's to lazy days.

Rob

As we say north of the border; "Aye, right.":p

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
But the whole thing starts to look utterly false though. For example on the web clips he's weeping because a plane flies over and doesn't tip its wings and it breaks his heart. He "feels so isolated" but the lodge flies people in and out and has boats on the lake.

He's not isolated and the pretense they set up suggests he is.

You're assuming he knows the lodge is there. Maybe they didn't tell him? But even if they did tell him, it makes little if any difference IMO. Alone is alone.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
After watching last nights episode, can't realy explain how I feel. I agree with lots what is said here, and like I have stated before, every situation is different and having an 'armchair dig' at anyone that does this type of thing is easy.

I say that because its like looking at cars for sale on the Internet. The pictures look like a new car, but when you get there, its basically a pile of rust! A picture, or movie doesn't show everything there is to see or feel.

However, a few fundamentals in common sense wouldn't have gone a miss here. Walking that distance with that pack, what was he thinking? Would anyone take that risk if they didn't have emergency backup. And why did he think it would be better anywhere else. Did he think he had depleted the stockpile of fish in that lake, so he would move on?

And as for missing the squirell, well. Someone should have explained before hand that shotguns don't shoot through trees! And yes I do have hunting experience.

But all in all, its a TV programme and is better than most s**t on the box, and it will get better if he meets that bear he is worried about.

I am just glad I don't fit the bill of the new age metrosexual, specsavers, mcdonald dining crew that Ed Wardle seems to aspire to. And if any channel 4 presenters out there want to make a spectacle of me and give me the chance, I will be glad to take their offer.

But thats only my opinion!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I wonder if Ed Wardle was a member on here before he went on his jaunt, seems a bit strange that he uses a SWC bushy knife, has what appears to be a Gransfor Bruks Axe, a tarp/ hammock set up and quite a bit more bushy type kit.

Also I noticed on the rushes that in week two he did actually catch a rabbit in one of his snares and had a nice hearty meal from it, yet C4 edited this out. The swines! :cussing:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
OK, lets get this straight. TV4 says they had an agreement with the lodge to check on Ed in an emergency. But the lodge says they had zero contact with the producers etc. So someone is lying.

TV4 says the lodge was "...10 miles within range..." of Ed's location. Nice bit of wording there -- the whole lake is only 8 miles long. The multiple buildings of the "luxury fishing lodge" are right on the shore (see lodge site) midway down the lake (lodge site).

Daily, the lodge puts boats on the water (fishing lodge, right?) and they wander about.

So Ed could SEE the lodge and boats and people -- less than 4 miles away, no matter what -- and at night can see the lights, hear the music, whatever.

At Dogpack lake the lodge has an encampment to tents on the shore too -- it's a smaller lake so Ed could see them all day too.

Of course he could see the people and the lodge, unless he's blind too.

Ed's real triumph was just resisting the urge to walk into the lodge and instead happily starve for the camera. He could have done this in a city park.

Or you could do exactly the same thing in your backyard....

We've just been fed another lie by television and I, for one, object to it.

On the issue of the armchair critics, that seems like an easy way of way of waving off reasonable criticisms.

For the record, I lived in Alaska. After a year of learning the demands of the place in smaller trips, I did a 3.5 week solo trip where I was dropped in by aircraft.

I lost one of my food caches to an eroded bank and had to struggle mightily against the calorie deficit this caused. (Three week+ trips are no joke up there...)

I have an intimate knowledge of what it means to be in that environment in trouble and alone and I assure you, being within eyesight and earshot of a lodge ain't the same thing. That said, the battle to get to the next cache was one of the best experiences of my life.

I was, for the vast majority of the time more than 200 miles away from the nearest human and without a beacon if I got in trouble. They didn't have beacons at that time.

In other words, my "armchair" was Denali and environs.

(I concede this background might be one of the reasons I find the producers behavior here so insulting... Some people really do this, I guess for Channel4 it's enough to just get some guy to starve on cue and wave some boughs around and call it adventure.)

And for what it's worth I was preparing a calorie/activity chart to post here to acquaint people not used to the arctic with the issues at hand and show how (under the original *fake* terms of the show) the producers had knowingly put Wardle in harms way. You've got to have more than one person to really do this without supplies.

(My other issue with the show is the way it perpetuates bear panic, which is a bad thing all around, but I'll spare everyone those observations on that point other than to say, folks, bears are not your enemy.)

I feel honesty matters a lot and I don't like being lied to as these producers have done.

With that, I don't see that I've got anything else to offer on this topic other than arguing and that's plain bad manners, so I'll bow out beyond this point and spare you all my long posts on the topic. :)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
OK, so I lied too :) I have one last thing to add....

Welcome to Tin Cup Lake lodge.

lodge2.jpg

and

lodge4.jpg

Imagine how it shines with the lights at night!

Imagine the smell of food cooking drifting over the lake!

Imagine seeing planes fly in and out and boats on the lake....

Of course Wardle knew they were there and by making all the clips where he whines about his isolation, he was participating in the central deception of the show.

Fake is fake, no matter how much one wants it to be authentic.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
OK, so I lied too :) I have one last thing to add....

Welcome to Tin Cup Lake lodge.

lodge2.jpg

and

lodge4.jpg

Imagine how it shines with the lights at night!

Imagine the smell of food cooking drifting over the lake!

Imagine seeing planes fly in and out and boats on the lake....

Of course Wardle knew they were there and by making all the clips where he whines about his isolation, he was participating in the central deception of the show.

Fake is fake, no matter how much one wants it to be authentic.

Now thats a nice place. Neighbours are a bit close though. Unless if you rent you get the lot.

I agree with your sentiments. Faking isn't what I do best, and putting on the glitz to be on TV wouldn't suite me at all. Call a spoon a spoon, unless its a tiphoon! lmao :lmao:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well I dont think its cheating because it clearly didnt give him any kind of psychological boost close to a lodge.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Anyone who saw the program and actually thought he was faking the experience needs to have their eyes tested. I really can't believe the attitudes of some people here, it strikes me as elitist b*ll*h*t that is totally undeserved and unqualified. This is an honest a tv program as they could realistically make on the subject.

They were clear on the website that the lodge was nearby. They were completely honest that he had two phones with him, one sealed for emergencies and one which could only send outgoing for his daily "tweet". (Which explains the txt speak on some of his daily summaries in the programme) .

I'd bet every penny I have that the emotions he was showing as he struggled on were completely real. He's a guy like us, a guy who since as a kid dreamt of living in the wild, alone. Now that he's doing that, people are the jumping on the hate bandwagon because he couldn't find somewhere 200 miles from anyone (without being far from support tho).

Always thought the people on here were some of the nicest and most tolerant people on the net. I'm sure some of you still are but for the rest...

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
How many of you done the journeyman course here? If you did you would all know how easy it was to cheat, but no one did because you were challenging yourself. I know its nothing to what Ed is trying to do, so give the guy a break watch the programme and learn something.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
With that, I don't see that I've got anything else to offer on this topic other than arguing and that's plain bad manners, so I'll bow out beyond this point and spare you all my long posts on the topic. :)

Dogwood, you appear to have the most relevant experience to assess the situation and I don't question anything you've said, but surely you would agree that at least this programme shows that it's no walk in the park in the environment that Ed (Ch 4) chose - that's got to be a good thing for the public in general and the armchair critics.

Broch

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Anyone who saw the program and actually thought he was faking the experience needs to have their eyes tested. I really can't believe the attitudes of some people here, it strikes me as elitist b*ll*h*t that is totally undeserved and unqualified. This is an honest a tv program as they could realistically make on the subject.

They were clear on the website that the lodge was nearby. They were completely honest that he had two phones with him, one sealed for emergencies and one which could only send outgoing for his daily "tweet". (Which explains the txt speak on some of his daily summaries in the programme) .

I'd bet every penny I have that the emotions he was showing as he struggled on were completely real. He's a guy like us, a guy who since as a kid dreamt of living in the wild, alone. Now that he's doing that, people are the jumping on the hate bandwagon because he couldn't find somewhere 200 miles from anyone (without being far from support tho).

Always thought the people on here were some of the nicest and most tolerant people on the net. I'm sure some of you still are but for the rest...

Having an opinion different to yours, does that make them wrong? As I stated on an earlier writeup, all the views on forums are just opinions after all, if you take them personally that is up to you. But we are all, different and have different views unless brain washed by what you see or read in the papers. Then again, if that what suites that person who am I to say anything bad about them!

So all I am saying is don't make it personal because non of it is worth it. And anyone wanting an argument, well they can go to their local for that.

Chill out:)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
OK, lets get this straight. TV4 says they had an agreement with the lodge to check on Ed in an emergency. But the lodge says they had zero contact with the producers etc. So someone is lying.

TV4 says the lodge was "...10 miles within range..." of Ed's location. Nice bit of wording there -- the whole lake is only 8 miles long. The multiple buildings of the "luxury fishing lodge" are right on the shore (see lodge site) midway down the lake (lodge site).

Daily, the lodge puts boats on the water (fishing lodge, right?) and they wander about.

So Ed could SEE the lodge and boats and people -- less than 4 miles away, no matter what -- and at night can see the lights, hear the music, whatever.

At Dogpack lake the lodge has an encampment to tents on the shore too -- it's a smaller lake so Ed could see them all day too.

Of course he could see the people and the lodge, unless he's blind too.

I honestly think there would be zero chance of the things you described above happening I think C4 would have given them enough cash to close the lodge for the time they were filming. Also maybe Wardle wasn't aware there was a lodge there, C4 might have just been hoping that he never ventured over to Ti Cup Lake and stayed at the original lake.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
I've watched the first couple of episodes and have the utmost respect for him. Yes he's found it tough both mentally and physically but hey he's doing something that most of the human race has tried to escape from for the last god knows how many years. If it was easy to live there then there would be a shopping mall with a MacDonald’s and a blacks outdoor shop full of goretex and funky tents.

It's easy to be an arm chair critic but unless you have been hungry, alone and scared then you cant judge the guy with any real empathy.

His skills are better than most you'd find in the average person bimbling around in the UK and we should respect him for having a crack at what most of us dream of, we learn from our experiences good and bad.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. We need more of this on TV instead of Eastenders!

BS

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
He was crying on day three. Really? Now I can imagine how hard three months would be but three days is just a nice get away. I love being alone with my thoughts for three days. I wish I could do it more often.

I am ok with the premise that he is close to people but still living on his own but my issue is the web page and clips would lead one to believe his situation was more isolated than it is. That is misleading at best, outright dishonest at worst.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wonder if Ed Wardle was a member on here before he went on his jaunt, seems a bit strange that he uses a SWC bushy knife, has what appears to be a Gransfor Bruks Axe, a tarp/ hammock set up and quite a bit more bushy type kit.

I can see what you mean but I ( and i'm sure many others too) owned most of my current kit long before ( several years) becoming a member on here.:)

Not everyone needs to join a forum like this,nor do they have to be interested in bushcraft to find or recognise decent kit.

cheers
R.B.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Sorry guys, I appear to have ruined a TV program for a lot of people. If it's any consolation for those who I've spoiled it for, I still think the task of surviving off the land in Yukon is a very daunting task.
I did throw the original comment in for humour. Keep watching the program. Yukon is a beautiful and amazing place, but don't anyone think of coming here because 30,000 people is enough.

I do like Dogwood's idea of "Alone in the local park". Reckon I'll contact C4 about that and see if they'll fund for me to go and spend three months living like a hobo in a park, building leantos under the slide, and drinking water out of crisp packets.

Pete

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
I have had some thoughts on this. I'm not digging at the guy for his adventure, just throwing something to the floor for people to think upon so to speak. They are responses to some of the opinions written on here by various people:

1) Channel 4 paying for a relatively exclusive fishing lodge (a very seasonal business in Yukon, cause the water tends to get a bit hard) to remain vacant for the majority of its operating season? Not likely. I wonder how much they'd have to pay for that one.
2) No-one staying in the lodge for the time that the gent was out in the woods. 3 mons of a 5 month operating season? Doesn’t make financial sense, why are they operating if business is that slow, and I’m sure a fly in fishing lodge is not cheap to run.
3) Maybe Mr Wardle didn’t know about the lodge on the lake? Hmmm? How did he know that if he was in distress he was supposed to frantically wave a flag at their plane, and if he was OK he was supposed to hold it out stationary (see the channel 4 website). Also, how could Tin cup lodge not have had contact with the producers when they had this very specific signaling system arranged.

I’m not a Wardle-hater (I actually sent him a “Tweet” and said well done). I suppose it’s just TV. I’ve not seen any of the program yet. For some reason, you can’t get it here, and even youtube clips are blocked for copyright reasons. I do want to see it now though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE