Allotment growing and bushcraft grub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had a look in my Larousse Gastronomique and it doesn't mention trinity either :dunno:

It's a big world :D

cheers,
M

The particular combination known as "the Holy Trinity" is Cajun and is in all Cajun cookbooks and Southern cookbooks. But likely not well known beyond that (although I did find it on Wiki when I googled "the trinity cooking" or "cooking with the trinity."

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use the celeriac, onions and carrots as a mirepoix with herbs, but then the onion is thrown away once it's given up it's goodness and so not to give windy indigestion to folks, just like the boiled celery if used in bouillion.

The celeriac is a really useful root vegetable, it dries well and adds a fair bit of flavour to home made broth and stew mixes. Grows fairly easily too and it's edible raw.

cheers,
M

I cain't remember it at the moment but there's also a French term for using herbs and veg as you describe (in a bag to be removed from the finished product before serving)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Another way of looking at it is to include wild indiginious plants that are for various reasons hard to forage. Burdock is a good one, wild grown it has a habit of growing in rocky soil, so the effort and permission to deep 2-3 foot downward is really hard. On a well fed turned over soil free of rock you have your self an intresting veg differant from others. Nettles and jack by the hedge you knwo are unsprayed are nice. Nettles are good in soups and as a ladybird over wintering habitat, and jack by the hedge have nice wasabi like roots.

My veg garden is a barely managed weed patch, but i eat alot of those weeds. Stuff like bitter cress are good eating and dont have any effort put into them. Weeding becomes easier when you look at dandilions and think coffee and wine not two hours of weeding.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As Santaman stated, the European (French) term is actually "mirapoix"

Yes Mirapoix is the French version. Other versions (mostly Spanish, Portugese, or their former colonies) are some version of Soffrito or Sazon; the ingredients of which vary from country to country.

Hi Nomad, hope you wont be too put off when people say you need sun to grow this and that. You can grow just about anything you want in your allotment with some protection and the correct preparation. I have a plot in Glasgow and have grown melons succesfully under frames and although sun is desirable to help ripen some tender crops, dont let our fine scottish weather limit your imagination.
Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE