Allergies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
Jake, it's an allergy but seems only a mild one, I am the same with Penacillin (Hobo...Stilton doesn't seem to bother me and I eat loads of it).
I am extremely sensitive you see. The first time I had penicillin I was only three and it was so bad (sick everywhere, loads of weight loss, and swellings / rash) I was even in intensive care for a few days :shock: I have less of a reaction with Stilton, but when I tried it I was sick for a day, asked my doctor if it was related he said the mould is a type of penicillin :?:
It's not nearly as severe I think.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Emdiesse said:
I'm guessing i would place this here.

What are ways to overcome allergies whilst in the wilderness without prescribed medicine?
What are ways to avoid allergic reactions?
(if any are possible)

Please can you post as much allergy related stuff here as possible as i would very much like to have the knowledge at hand, just in case. :D

I am allergic to wasps :(, is there anyone else here with the same problem?

Thank Emdiesse

Usually, the only way of avoiding allergic reactions is to avoid exposure to allergens (the things that cause the allergic response).

Allergies tend to get worse with successive exposure to allergens. My late father became increasingly allergic to wasp/bee stings. My first girlfriend would be unconscious within 20 minutes of a wasp/bee sting and had to be rushed to hospital on at least a couple of occasions.

I consider myself very lucky that I don't really have anything serious in the way of allergies. I sometimes get a bit sneezy when I'm tying flies with deer hair, but that seems to be it for me (touch wood!). One of our neighbours' children hates summertime because of the misery he suffers through hayfever.

Anaphylaxis is too serious and potentially life threatening to mess about with self remedies and old wives tales. In this case, I'd stick to best current medical advice/practice.

Here is a source of information that you might find helpful.

Burnt Ash

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Jake Rollnick said:
I would be worried about a medi bracelet though, as if i did need the penicillin and the doctors were reluctant to give it to me then my health could be in danger! As i don't fully know how allergic i am, i only took it once, and have fogotten for how long, what the dosage etc...
:biggthump

No worries :wink:

I wouldn't worry about wearing it at all Mate....there are plenty of of anti-biotics about now that don't involve penacillin and pretty much anyone who carries penacillin and can prescribe it and/or administer it will have an alternative.

This is certainly the case in the UK, USA and other westernised nations and even a lot of the more remote countries.... also bear in mind that when you've had a course of penicillin from the quacks for an infection or sore throat or whatever it is a fairly gentle course and so you may only get a mild reaction but if you get an injection of it "in the field" then rather a lot more will go in and you may well have a stronger reaction.

Obviously it's up to you but I'd say get one...... they also make good talking points when your chatting girls up in clubs :wink: lol

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:lol: might just get myself one though. Cheers mate, i'll seriously try and remember to get my doctor to get me one...

:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE