Allergies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I'm guessing i would place this here.

What are ways to overcome allergies whilst in the wilderness without prescribed medicine?
What are ways to avoid allergic reactions?
(if any are possible)

Please can you post as much allergy related stuff here as possible as i would very much like to have the knowledge at hand, just in case. :D

I am allergic to wasps :(, is there anyone else here with the same problem?

Thank Emdiesse

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have had sucess with homeopathic medicen, it is difficult to find the right ones perhaps if you know what it is that sets you off then go and see a homeopath!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Emdiesse said:
I'm guessing i would place this here.

What are ways to overcome allergies whilst in the wilderness without prescribed medicine?
What are ways to avoid allergic reactions?
(if any are possible)

Please can you post as much allergy related stuff here as possible as i would very much like to have the knowledge at hand, just in case. :D

I am allergic to wasps :(, is there anyone else here with the same problem?

Thank Emdiesse

Hi Emdiesse,
if you already know that you are allergic to wasps you are a step ahead of most folks. Tell, your medic that you love to be in the outdoors and get him to fix you some emergency medication, you will carry in your survival pack, and take it if you suffer a allergic reaction.
I know about a guy who even learnt from his medic to give himself injections so he is on the safe side! If you suffer under a food allergy you will have to keep your diet simple and write down how you feel, introducing step by step more food until you find the allergic food type and stop eating it in the future. Try out the food which could be new for your system they are most likely no harm for your body. Instead of pig and cow meat eat some other kind you never eat usually like rabbit, moose, turkey etc. Instead of normal potatos eat sweat potatos etc etc. Don't forget to write down what you eat and how you feel. If you have a backslash back of with the safe food and try again. After some weeks you know what you can eat and what you cant.

hope that helps
cheers
Abbe

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
There generally isn't really a lot you can do if you're stuck right in the middle of a forest, full of pollen/animals/insects you're allergic to!

This is more for hayfever sufferers, but there are some obvious simple solutions are covering your face with a dustmask/bandana to keep pollen particles out, but this won't help your eyes.

Three 'natural' ways of reducing the effects:

1)Try and keep your eyes and nose wet - regularly splashing water on your face will wash away a lot of pollen. Another way to achieve this is to try and eat things that naturally make your eyes/nose increase mucus production, or that make you sweat. Garlic and ginger are good examples of suitable foodstuffs - and ransoms (wild garlic) works very well for this in the wild.

2) Make up a wash for your eyes/face - something that will reduce swelling and inflammation - elderflowers, chamomile, yarrow etc are all good for this. When I've had a long day at work, and my eytes are sore, I find boiling a mug of water, adding a tablespoon of elderflowers, leaving it to go cold, and then washing my eyes with this helps a lot. I've used the same thing for friends with hayfever, and they've all said it offers good temporary relief.

3) Try to increase your contact with the allergens - this is most useful if you're allergic to something, and have no way of getting away from it. Consumption of allergens (i.e eating them) is one of the best ways to reduce your reaction to them - and for this, wild honey and flowering parts are good sources of allergens. Eating these regularly over a period of 1-2 weeks will have a significant effect. I have been informed that people with allergies to cats/dogs can help reduce this by making an infusion or tincture of freshly brushed fur and drinking this 3 times a day for 2-3 weeks - however, I've not yet met any one who fancies the idea of catfur tea! (although, knowing bushcraftuk, someone will already be boiling the kettle :lol: ) No idea if eating wasps would have the required effect either...

I think for serious allergies that can result in anaphylactic shock (bee/wasp stings being the most common) then the only solution is to always carry appropriate medical treatement, or be very very careful if you don't have this with you!

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I do not want to tread on anyones toes but as there is always a chance of the body going into anaphylactic shock, I would err on the side of caution and keep to the prescribed medication, The only treatment as far as I am aware for Anaphylaxis is epinephrine, which is extremely dangerous if used incorrecty.

Greg

PS. I am not an MD but have some experience from working in Africa as a game keeper foe a number of years, as far as I'm aware there are no "native" cures either for this condition.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I was about to ask in fact, do you ever get anaphylactic shock. How bad is your reaction usually? I have a friend with your allergy, but if he takes the sting out with tweezers and puts mud/honey/vinegar on it he's right as rain in a few minutes.
I myself am only allergic to penicillin, so it's civilisation I need to watch out for - I'm safer in the bush! Unless I eat Stilton :shock:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have only ever had an allergic reaction to wasps once in my life. It was the last time i got stung by one. It just suddenly developed :(

I came out in hives and then decided to go to the hospital, who then gave me an epi-pen to carry with me.

So ussually can not be answered in my case.

Thanks for the replies
Emdiesse

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
arctic hobo said:
I have a friend with your allergy, but if he takes the sting out with tweezers and puts mud/honey/vinegar on it he's right as rain in a few minutes.

wasps dont leave a sting in , you mean bees surely?

sorry for being pedantic but allergies can kill quickly if they affect the throat / airway and so it is vital to get facts right

if someone is looking for a stinger from a wasp they are wasting valuable time

Tant

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Maybe i'm being too optimistic, however is there any possibility that allergys like this can dissapear?

I have never been bushcrafting properly before and this is my main concern.

What are the chances of getting stung by a wasp while bush crafting on comparison with normal life?
I'm not sure what one would be higher??
Would it be bushcrafting because of all the vegitation, etc?
Would it be more likely in every day life because of the rubbish bins, etc?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Tantalus said:
wasps dont leave a sting in , you mean bees surely?

sorry for being pedantic but allergies can kill quickly if they affect the throat / airway and so it is vital to get facts right

if someone is looking for a stinger from a wasp they are wasting valuable time

Tant

Sorry, you are quite right :roll:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Emdiesse said:
Maybe i'm being too optimistic, however is there any possibility that allergys like this can dissapear?

I have never been bushcrafting properly before and this is my main concern.

What are the chances of getting stung by a wasp while bush crafting on comparison with normal life?
I'm not sure what one would be higher??
Would it be bushcrafting because of all the vegitation, etc?
Would it be more likely in every day life because of the rubbish bins, etc?

I'd be very careful mate. A friend of mine carries a epipen always, if he got stung and he didn't have one, he'd die.
Another friend was out walking with another friend who got stung, he started having an anaphylactic shock. He lay down and my other friend asked what to do, by this time he couldn't speak apart from letting her know he was gonna die. So she ran down to the car park and there just so happened to be a boy with an epipen. Which saved his life.

So i'd go to your doctor and get him to assess your needs, as it's very hit and miss whether, even if the allergy was mild, you'd find anything to give you comfort.

Cheers.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Allergies Suck!

Yeah i know about the dangers.
I have been to the docters, etc.
I have 2 epi-pens so i have no excuse of nt having one.

I also understood that the epi-pen isn't what cures it? I heard that they just slow down the process (or whatever it is) to give you time to call for help and receive help.

I said it once and i will say it again:
Allergies Suck!

I suppose there are people worse off though so really i should be glad i only have an allergy to wasps.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
arctic hobo said:
he takes the sting out with tweezers and puts mud/honey/vinegar on it he's right as rain in a few minutes.

This may be an old wives tale but I've always been told never to pull out stings because it can leave part of them still inside, but always to flick them out...? Have no idea if this is true or not since I've only ever been stung once and that was because I stood on the poor thing.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
The important thing is not to squeeze the poison sac on the end when you pull it out, as it's got extremely nasty stuff in it. I think as long as it all come out you're fine. Maybe flicking it out is a better way.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
That seems logical...i've only ever been stung about 3 times.

Not sure if i have allergies, but i did get a rash on half of my body when i was on penicilin, i looked like the mask, straight down the middle! Is that an allergy or a side effect?!

:biggthump

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Jake, it's an allergy but seems only a mild one, I am the same with Penacillin (Hobo...Stilton doesn't seem to bother me and I eat loads of it).

Shouldn't be a problem Jake but might be worth getting a medi alert bracelet if you are out and about just in case you go down and the medics start pumping it into you..... maybe not in civvi life though, I'm not sure.

My penacillin allergy is very very mild but the TA still insisted that I wear the braclet.....also had personal info in it so not a bad idea anyway for me as I tend to go out with just my doggy and don't often carry my wallet etc so if anything happens and I'm found then at least people will be able to ID me.

Does anyone know the rights/wrongs/legaities of carrying an Epi-pen in your FAK? I understand clearly that Joe Bloggs can't administer drugs and it needs to be a paramedic or above to do this....however, personally I'd rather have one that I can offer to people to use on themselves if needed (bearing in mind a lot of people don't know they will have the reaction until they have it so won't be carrying their own pen - me included, heaps of wasp stings but never a bee).....and to be honest I'd most likely administer it myself if I thought they were going to die if I didn't.....sue me later if you have too but bear in mind you're only alive to sue because I did what I did!!!!
But is it ok to carry or do you need permission to carry as in a perscription etc?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Does anyone know the rights/wrongs/legaities of carrying an Epi-pen in your FAK? I understand clearly that Joe Bloggs can't administer drugs and it needs to be a paramedic or above to do this....however, personally I'd rather have one that I can offer to people to use on themselves if needed (bearing in mind a lot of people don't know they will have the reaction until they have it so won't be carrying their own pen - me included, heaps of wasp stings but never a bee).....and to be honest I'd most likely administer it myself if I thought they were going to die if I didn't.....sue me later if you have too but bear in mind you're only alive to sue because I did what I did!!!!
But is it ok to carry or do you need permission to carry as in a perscription etc?

AFAIK you cannot carry medication for administration to other people unless certified to do so. You can carry medication for yourself though. So if you stumble across someone suffering anaphalactic shock and you happen to have one of "Your" epipens handy, it's your choice. You could be a lifesaving hero, or you could be up in court on a manslaughter charge. The decision is yours.

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yer...that's what I thought.

How do I go about getting my grubby paws on a pen then? Go to the quack, tell him I'm outdoors a lot and am worried about being allergic to bee strings? Is that enough?

Funny world were you can get into court for trying to help isn't it.....still I guess there are a lot of muppets out there that need controlling!!!!!

I knew/know it's wrong (legally) but I'd rather face that prospect then stand by and watch somebdy die at my feet from a bee sting! (I'd have to be pretty blooming sure that's what was wrong with them though...to be fair).

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Yer...that's what I thought.

How do I go about getting my grubby paws on a pen then? Go to the quack, tell him I'm outdoors a lot and am worried about being allergic to bee strings? Is that enough?

Depends on your quack. If you tell him you have mild Anaphalaxis and are going on a trip away from medical help, he may give you a couple. If he's uptight, he may think you're a junkie and are planning on selling them on the black market :shock:

I'm like you with medical aid. If someone needs it and I can do it, I will. I'll take the consequences later. That's why I've been trained in intubation and intravenous therapy. two of the subjects that could help preserve life in the wilderness.
I'd really like to attend one of the wilderness first aid course run by natural pathways. I believe Gary and Paganwolf have been on it (I think.) They spoke highly of it.

Martin

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers bambodoggy,

I'll check into that, i need to go to the doctors soon anyway as my thumb is still completey weak after i broke it a few months back, and i missed the hand therapy appointment :oops:

I would be worried about a medi bracelet though, as if i did need the penicillin and the doctors were reluctant to give it to me then my health could be in danger! As i don't fully know how allergic i am, i only took it once, and have fogotten for how long, what the dosage etc...

:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE