Aldi folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

urbansurvivor

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2013
East anglai
This is a heads up really. my first post as a newbie so bare with me, ive been using the folding hand saw from aldis for a few weeks now and I cannot tell the difference between it and the Laplander, maybe over time the teeth on the Laplander may last longer but only good use and time will tell, but ive cut through loads of hazle, loads of pine branches and some really stubbon wood I bought from bnq with the aldi saw and its still cutting through branches like its playdo. and for the price of the Laplander you can buy 5 of the aldi saws, and they come in 2 sizes of teeth, and right now I really don't see the Laplander being able to outlast an equivelant 5 aldi saws. so might be worth getting one for your selves for the jobs that you don't want to use the Laplander on incase you fold the teeth. hope this helps someone

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too have a couple of Aldi saws - great kit for the dosh!
I am thinking of making a wooden handle for them, just for show-off-ness :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They are ok for the money, I bought one a few years ago I think I gave it away, my Laplander has been going strong and its had some heavy use, had it for about seven years.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
They are ok for the money, I bought one a few years ago I think I gave it away, my Laplander has been going strong and its had some heavy use, had it for about seven years.

Simple math says they are longer lasting than the Laplander, which while a good saw, is exceedingly expensive. Just like most things with some kind of "Bushcraft credibility".

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I bought an Aldi folder, but was singularly unimpressed. I prefer my old Laplander, now blunt, but still better than the Aldi one. I have a new Laplander, so only use the Aldi saw when I can't find either Laplander.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How much use are people getting from Laplanders here?
I use handsaws a lot at work and go through a new handsaw saw pretty much every month. Couple of weeks if I'm working outside a lot.
Then the new saw gets retired to second saw and if I'm cutting soleplates over concrete or timber that might contain nails I use that instead of knackering my good saw.

Surprised that Laplanders (again made by Bahco) seem to last so well. Never owned one but are they re-sparpenable or induction hardened teeth?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
How much use are people getting from Laplanders here?
I use handsaws a lot at work and go through a new handsaw saw pretty much every month. Couple of weeks if I'm working outside a lot.
Then the new saw gets retired to second saw and if I'm cutting soleplates over concrete or timber that might contain nails I use that instead of knackering my good saw.

Surprised that Laplanders (again made by Bahco) seem to last so well. Never owned one but are they re-sparpenable or induction hardened teeth?

No they can't be resharpened, as you say, hardened teeth. Yes it is a good saw, but what gets me is the price they charge for replacement blades, you might as well buy the saw again.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I was convinced by a member her to move to Silky saws, after Aldi and Bahco. It's far far better in my humble opinion.

I was issued a Gomtaro in Sept 09. It has done work almost daily when climbing, gets huge abuse on dry wood when camping, and I've only just changed the blade for the first time. Noticed the difference mind ;)

I've got a Laplander in the cupboard, used once and chucked back in never to be used again.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I think when it comes to folding saws, you really pay for what you get.

I find that the cheapo saws like the ones from Aldi, Lidl and the ones that are part of cheap saw sets dont perform especially well. Whereas the more expensive laplanders are a great saw for hard and soft wood up to 5" diameter.

Silky are as better again and will cut most wood like a hot knife through butter when new but these are twice as expensive as the laplander.

The laplanders are a nice compromise between expense and performance I reckon.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I got one to practice with and basically abuse. There's not much difference, but the laplander is better and looks better, although I do like the extra safety feature on the aldi handle I might even put a laplander blade on it

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Simple math says they are longer lasting than the Laplander, which while a good saw, is exceedingly expensive. Just like most things with some kind of "Bushcraft credibility".

I think I paid about £12 inc.postage, the only drawback I found with the Aldi one it was'nt that good on green wood and the teeth blunted pretty quickly, but for the odd pruning job its ideal.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Haven't tried these two saws for comparison yet - but (and it is a but) if they are push saws then math again dictates a Jap pull saw will outperform them both. Much thinner kerf, less energy and binding (straightens as it cuts) great steel. Again I think you can get at least two for the cost of the laplander.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Looking at how old the thread is you may find they are not available.
You can always ask for a special delivery to your store, some stock make seasonal appearances.
The aldi one i took to Georgia found the pine trees easy to saw through. For a fiver it is much safer than the sliding blade version from B&Q.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE