Alcohol Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
(Maybe this should have been on DIY?) :confused:

Anyway, I just found this page backpacklight which has a whole list of commercial alcohol stoves, some of which are new to me and while I appreciate that many people will sigh and say "what a newbie" there maybe a gear junkie out there who will spot the perfect item for completing their collection (for this week)

However there may also be another DIY er (like me) who will see another weekend project in the making :)

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
i have been making and using beer can stoves for about a year now after seeing them on a scandinavian outdoor and bushcraft site, they are ace, and have used petrol in them, blackens the pans but works, so does thinners and turps, lol stinks tho but proves you can burn just about any liquid in them, and when they are knakered yjust make another,

Wayland

Hárbarðr
scaleyback said:
and have used petrol in them, blackens the pans but works, so does thinners and turps, lol stinks tho but proves you can burn just about any liquid in them

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am surprised you are around to tell the tale.

The use of petrol in alchohol stoves is highly dangerous and should never be recomended. Petrol under the pressure that can be generated in some alchohol stoves is highly explosive.

Please take great care.

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
Wayland said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am surprised you are around to tell the tale.

The use of petrol in alchohol stoves is highly dangerous and should never be recomended. Petrol under the pressure that can be generated in some alchohol stoves is highly explosive.

Please take great care.
these are almost exactly the same as trangia spirit burners, no pressure involved,

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
even unpressurised trangia stoves use the pressure of vapourising fuel to burn.
trangia do not reccommend the use of petrol.
they're not designed for petrol and should never be used with it

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Graham_S said:
even unpressurised trangia stoves use the pressure of vapourising fuel to burn.
trangia do not reccommend the use of petrol.
they're not designed for petrol and should never be used with it

So speaketh the man that knows just what happens when you use liquid fuel the wrong way.

WHOOOMPFF was, I think, the sound heard far and wide... :D

Seriously though, you are playing with fire and are likely to get badly burnt. :nono:

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
scaleyback said:
these are almost exactly the same as trangia spirit burners, no pressure involved,

Trangia burners are some kind of a brass tin with an inner wall thus having a compartment that will for sure build up a too high pressure when using the wrong fuel (every other liquid fuel apart from meth. spirits).

Using petrol (gasoline) in a meth. burner is plain stupid

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
cyclist said:
Trangia burners are some kind of a brass tin with an inner wall thus having a compartment that will for sure build up a too high pressure when using the wrong fuel (every other liquid fuel apart from meth. spirits).

Using petrol (gasoline) in a meth. burner is plain stupid
i make them from beer cans,,,,,,and they are just a vessel to hold flammable liquids
these are not in anyway sealed or soldered, welded or fixed so how can pressure build up????? ps, please do not call me stupid, i find that offensive and insulting as i am sure it was meant to be,i have been using them now for nearly a year with no problems,

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
scaleyback said:
these are not in anyway sealed or soldered, welded or fixed so how can pressure build up?????

By there being more flamable gas generated (by the heat), than can escape through the (number and size of) holes present. Once the temperature rises sufficiently to boil all the liquid a B.L.E.V.E. (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion) can occour - even if it is on a small scale you won't want to be anywhere near it.

Its probably worth thinking that you've been very lucky up to now, but if manufacturers specifically mention NOT to use Petrol - there's probably good reason.

Stay Safe

Ogri the trog

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ultimately it is up to you what you choose to do.

No one can stop you putting yourself at risk, we can just advise you that it is a very dangerous thing to do.

We can also hope that anyone else reading this thread will not be tempted to think that using petrol in a meths burner is a safe thing to try and get injured doing it.

Ogri's explanation of how an alchohol stove generates pressure is pretty accurate, indeed it is the whole principle upon which they work.

If there was no need to create pressure then why not just use an open cup?

If you have been doing this for a year without incident I can only say you have been extremely lucky so far

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
scaleyback said:
i make them from beer cans,,,,,,and they are just a vessel to hold flammable liquids
these are not in anyway sealed or soldered, welded or fixed so how can pressure build up????? ps, please do not call me stupid, i find that offensive and insulting as i am sure it was meant to be,i have been using them now for nearly a year with no problems,

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: Only use meths (denatured alcohol) the stuff you are burning give off fumes you really do not want in your lungs, silly fumes that can give you cancer etc, call me old fashioned, but stick to meths, please

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
It is of course possible that Scaleyback has been using a hobostove, rather than a tin can triangia. :rolleyes:

Highly flammable and volatile liquids aren't the best to play with. But then neither are knives in inexperienced hands.

Just my 2p worth

GW

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Just to add my 2p and without making any judgments.... I've made a fair few alcohol stoves and the majority of those are designed to burn the fuel under pressure. My current favourite is a Zen Sideburner in which the pressure/boiling alcohol in the centre of the stove, forces the fuel out through the jets to burn. I must admit that I haven't tried petrol, but wouldn't personally like to use such a volatile fuel in these circumstances. YMMV etc.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It is possible to use petrol in a home-made stove - the 'Benghazi burner' as used by the Desert Rats was an open bucket or similar, half filled with petrol-soaked sand. Petrol is highly volatile and I daresay even this was not completely without risk.

I do not doubt that people have used petrol in Trangia type stoves. It does not mean it is safe. Don't do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE