Alcohol Stoves, and winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi there I have got a question. How efficient are homemade stoves, or even trangia stoves, that burn alcohol in the winter?

I want a nice light stove, and I have fun making alcohol stoves, but how well do these work in the cold of winter.

Assuming that the stoves have good windscreens how dependable are these in the cold?

I hope to carry one of these hunting, fishing, and anytime I am in the bush with my day pack. Can I depend on these to boil water for my meals in any weather?

What can be done to make them more efficient in cold weather or storms.

Are there particular models that are better for windy, cold, and less than ideal conditions?

If not is an esbit, or a hexamine stove the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey.

:chill:

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
Viking is right, keep the fuel warm and it works fine. You can get a winter dish for the trangia, but I put the burner in a foil dish (old curry foil type) and put a little meths in and light it. This heats the burner and its fuel and helps bring the stove up to speed in cold weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE