Alan wood/Ray mears woodlore knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
For sale i have an alan wood woodlore knife.
i have used the knife on one camping trip but i have decided that it is to much to have it just sat in the drawer doing nothing when it should be used.
as you can see from the pictures it has been sharpened but not extensively as you can still see the original grind. The knife has been sharpened with five different grades of water stone then stroped, new these knives come slightly hollow ground so thats why edge looks like it does.
the knife has never been stored in its sheath and has always been oiled before storing. I am looking for £400 posted RMSD cash on collection or paypal.photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Last edited:

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
For sale i have an alan wood woodlore knife.
I am looking for £400 posted RMSD cash on collection or paypal gift.​

Hi Tommy19,

You need to read the selling rules - you cannot ask for paypal as a 'gift' (or any other method that circumvents the fees ;)). If you don't want to pay them you need to state that the buyer must cover them...or just figure them into your asking price.

See here - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81058

Good luck with the sale.

kawasemi

p.s. it would also help with your sale if you 'introduced' yourself a bit. You only have 2 posts on the forum and are wanting a buyer to part with a hefty chunk of dosh:).

Last edited:

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
Just to say that I am open to offers on this knife as I need it gone, I'm more than happy for anybody to view or ask me any questions
Cheers Tom

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Hi.

I think what could be putting a few people off is the current sharpened condition of the Scandi grind.

Maybe an idea to get that ground flat, by a professional knife maker, there are a few on here, or have a go yourself if you have the time. It's difficult to see the extent of the hollow grind from the pictures but I'm sure it could be done.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi.

I think what could be putting a few people off is the current sharpened condition of the Scandi grind.

Maybe an idea to get that ground flat, by a professional knife maker, there are a few on here, or have a go yourself if you have the time. It's difficult to see the extent of the hollow grind from the pictures but I'm sure it could be done.

It'll take a while to get the hollow ground to disappear, if you want it gone in a rush then as AndyP suggested you should put up another post in Edged tools asking for someone to do it for you. I wouldn't be put off by the state of the grind, with enough sharpening the hollow will vanish eventually. Good luck with the sale. :)

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
I wouldn't say the edge was in any sort of state, the grind just shows that the knife has been sharpened very little, and if I wanted to completely remove the hollow grind I'm more than capable I just don't want to unnecessarily sharpen the knife.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wouldn't say the edge was in any sort of state, the grind just shows that the knife has been sharpened very little, and if I wanted to completely remove the hollow grind I'm more than capable I just don't want to unnecessarily sharpen the knife.

State as in 'condition that something is in at a specific time' not 'untidy condition'. Mine looked like that once.

Prospective buyers should be happy that there has been no 'unnecessary sharpening'.

It'll be a nice tool for someone, good luck with the sale.

lucky 67

May 1, 2010
netherlands
Almost never used and then sharpening a perfect grind, its a bit of shame then for the originality of the knife, wish you good luck with the sale

send by mobile device,grtz,Jurgen

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
When i purchased the knife it had been used but it had just never been sharpened, when i recieved the knife it was blunt and as i wanted it as my user i sharpened it. If it was made not to be used it would be supplied in a sealed glass case.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I assume you sharpened this on a bench grinder ? That I think was a bit excessive ! You say the knife was blunt, but it looks in very good condition apart from the grinding, so all it probably needed was a waterstone & strop. As far as I am aware these knives have a flat scandi grind when new, not 'slightly hollow'. Unfortunately you have modified something that was desireable & valuable to something not so valuable, but still desirable if someone wants to take it on as a project.
Anyway good luck with the sale.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I assume you sharpened this on a bench grinder ? That I think was a bit excessive ! You say the knife was blunt, but it looks in very good condition apart from the grinding, so all it probably needed was a waterstone & strop. As far as I am aware these knives have a flat scandi grind when new, not 'slightly hollow'. Unfortunately you have modified something that was desireable & valuable to something not so valuable, but still desirable if someone wants to take it on as a project.
Anyway good luck with the sale.

Ok, these knives do come slightly hollow ground, only slight but enough to form sharpening marks like. Why do you think this knife has been sharpened with a 'bench grinder' excatly? he said he used stones and clearly he's done it well. This knife looks just fine and ready for use, unless you want on of these knives unused then go for that but don't say stuff that'll make the chaps sale look bad. I bet tommy19 would appreciate a MOD removing all of the comments unrelated to genuine interest and questions about his knife!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Ok, these knives do come slightly hollow ground, only slight but enough to form sharpening marks like. Why do you think this knife has been sharpened with a 'bench grinder' excatly? he said he used stones and clearly he's done it well. This knife looks just fine and ready for use, unless you want on of these knives unused then go for that but don't say stuff that'll make the chaps sale look bad. I bet tommy19 would appreciate a MOD removing all of the comments unrelated to genuine interest and questions about his knife!

spot on mate, well said ! :)

and have a bump on me :)

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
If you read my first post properly you would have read that it has been sharpened on water stones and then stroped, and if you read on Alan woods website it says that they come hollow ground, there seems to be a lot of people adding to this thread that do not know what there talking about.

tommy19

Aug 6, 2010
south glos
Sorry for my little rant then i read perrari's post before the last two, thank you for agreeing with me and saying the sharpening has been done well, proves there are some gents on here

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I think folk need to read the guidelines that govern the classifieds section...

Its up to a potential buyer to make a call on if the item is ok for them or a fair price..

To me if a knife had a 'Scandi' bevel that was slightly hollow ground and then was given a sharpen on a very flat and very fine waterstone the result you would see would be pretty much what's displayed in the image of the edge of this knife.

IMHO folk get a bit obsessive around sharp things.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE