AITH atlatl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Over on paleoplanet there is an Atlatl In The Hat going on and I just thought I'd show you my entry. I'll not post pics on the planet to keep it a surprise for the final recipient :) .

2007_0408Image0007.jpg

2007_0408Image0009.jpg

It's blackthorn and the design was burned in with a soldering iron.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Big John said:
Very tidy work there Snufkin, nice. What sort of range/accuracy do you get out of that?
I've never really thrown for range, and as for accuracy the broad side of a barn springs to mind :D . I've only just got back into throwing after a couple of years off. At one point I got pretty good out to about 20m. This thrower isn't for me so it's a little longer than the one I use and with this my accuracy goes to pot.
That looks lovely, how did you carve out the spur?
Biddlesby, I just cut it out with a knife, you need to under cut the spur so it's like the prow of a ship. I then burn it with the soldering iron. It's easier to do than to describe, I've got a bit of applewood so maybe a mini tutorial is in order.
The atlatl has a slight curve to it so the dart sits in nicely. I like this style of spur as it's easy to load, if you get the dart end in the groove you can just slide it back and it's self locating, it would be a good spur for hunting.

Nov 19, 2005
Tennessee
I'll keep my mouth shut Snufkin. I've just gotten back into throwing myself after a three year hiatus, I found that 20 minutes of throwing every day for about two weeks got my accuracy back up from "How did I mis the target from 15 feet away?" to good groups on an 8 inch bullseye from 10-15 yards.
I agree whole hartedly on the recessed male/female spur, it's much easier to load than a "standard" spur, the atlatl I use the most has a trough running a good 5 inches before it hits the spur, it makes things soooo much easier.

Bryan

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
sweet!!!!
I want to talk to you about borrowing that picture design for the association if your interested.

you don;t need to be any good to be in on the AITH that's not the idea. the idea is that through participating and making the best altatl you can you raise your own abilities. the AITH isn't a competiiton it's a sort of personal development plan.
better make mine now.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jerv said:
sweet!!!!
I want to talk to you about borrowing that picture design for the association if your interested.

you don;t need to be any good to be in on the AITH that's not the idea. the idea is that through participating and making the best altatl you can you raise your own abilities. the AITH isn't a competiiton it's a sort of personal development plan.
better make mine now.
Feel free to use the pic mate, just don't blame me if you get complaints from the Pony Club :D

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I haven't quite grasped the techniques for 'gauging' out with the tip of your knife. When I try to do it it just all ends up a bit of a mess. Like trying to carve the bowl of a spoon without a spoon knife.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
SHHHH!
my aith atlatls and a spear. I made 3 and wil select the one I give away based on the length requirements of the reciever.
primwep059ce7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I'm not much of a craftsman so I have gone for authenticity of materials and styles. The hooks are based on finds from magdalenian France and are reindeer antler. The sinew is bison and the wood birch. All work was done with a knife (I can't knap :( )
primwep057nu1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

there are wierd etchings on the hoks that don;t show up so well in the photos. You don't see these types of throwers on the web so much but they are very popular among European atlatlers.
Next project
primwep061uf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like the crochet hook style spurs, they throw nicely. Those ones look really authentic.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
thanks snufkin. I like the crochet hooks too. simple and effective.
I worked from photos in ulrich stodeicks thesis

http://users.skynet.be/fa057790/pictures/index_7.htm

I have 1 to 1 scale drawings and plans for many Ice age throwers if anyone is interested. I am busy at the moment but should be able to get them photocopied sometime next week.

I used this replica yesterday. I thought the antler end would make it unbalanced but it is a fine working design and is very nice to throw with.

primitivechamps089fv3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The replica is a to the exact dimensions of the original and is made from reindeer antler, got a pretty decent hit with it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jerv said:
thanks snufkin. I like the crochet hooks too. simple and effective.
I worked from photos in ulrich stodeicks thesis

http://users.skynet.be/fa057790/pictures/index_7.htm

I have 1 to 1 scale drawings and plans for many Ice age throwers if anyone is interested. I am busy at the moment but should be able to get them photocopied sometime next week.

I used this replica yesterday. I thought the antler end would make it unbalanced but it is a fine working design and is very nice to throw with.

primitivechamps089fv3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The replica is a to the exact dimensions of the original and is made from reindeer antler, got a pretty decent hit with it.
That one looks very cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE