Airgun conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I have a Baikal .177 sidelever multishot spring air rifle, and I was thinking the other day that this would be great if it had more power. The current power is about 5ft/lbs, and I would like to be able to convert it (with a new spring) to 12ft/lbs. Would this be possible and, if so, would it be likely to breach the legal limit?

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Ralph said:
I have a Baikal .177 sidelever multishot spring air rifle, and I was thinking the other day that this would be great if it had more power. The current power is about 5ft/lbs, and I would like to be able to convert it (with a new spring) to 12ft/lbs. Would this be possible and, if so, would it be likely to breach the legal limit?

Chances are that the rifle is operating at its peak performance.
You have to look at what is needed from a rifle before you can really start to 'play' with it. In the scope of your rifle, being an airgun. You need it to be accurate and if needed for hunting, powerful.

Accuracy, well your going to need the rifle to group .5" at 30 yds. How accurate is it now?
Power, 12ft-lbs ME unless you have an FAC.

Accuracy normally suffers when the power increases. This is because spring powered airguns are works of engineering art. Everything is balanced.
There are many more things you can do to increase airgun performance than simply changing springs BUT this is likely to have an effect on accuracy.

Power, if the rifle was likely to preform at 12ft-lbs then the manufacturer would have supplied it as such. Unless you have the ability to chronograph the rifle then messing around could land you in jail.

I would simply buy a second hand HW80 and 'do-it-up'.
I tuned a second hand HW80, simply changed the spring, barrel washer and piston head. Gave the rifle a good greasing and chronograph-ed it. 39 ft-lb ME!
I do hold an FAC BTW. I tested the rifle and it preformed equally if not better then my .22rf at 40 yds. I then detuned the rifle. Had I not had the correct equipment to test the rifle, I could have been in very serious trouble but it goes to show how easy it is to fall foul of the law.

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE