Air rifle scope advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
To the OP... regarding the loss of zero... did you check the stock and trigger guard screws for tightness? These can shake loose a bit over time.. and they hold the action in the stock... loose screws would give POI shifts.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ec6cf1db4c694c55d03e96c0d6ef9a4b.jpg
8b5c282f94a65ac0abd75991cc522c7a.jpg
033a421a696a50ca4576c21714712256.jpg

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I've used a Nikko Sterling for years on various air rifles including a .22 Diana model 52. If any air rifle will test a scope well it'll be a 52! It lased fairly well but started to have issuess last year so, after much research and head scratching I stumped up and bought a Hawke sidewinder 10x44 (I think it was). Fixed mag works for me and keeps the weight down. Also easier for knowing your range markers and aim off points. Anyway, the build quality was awful and the sight picture terrible so it went back. I know a lot of people love them and have no problems, maybe mine was a 'Friday afternoon' scope, who knows? I now have an MTC Viper 10x44 side paralax, and it is awesome! Great quality, great glass, sturdy build. Top stuff and worth the extra spends. Both of these scopes are about double your £100 though, so sorry if that's not helpful! Second hand bargains can be found though.

It's worth buying the best mounts you can too. Sportsmatch have always done well for me. Make sure they've got 2 screws per side (4 in total) to hold the top clamp down, and 2 screws in in each rail clamp. Single screw clamps are useless. If there's a rail stop screw, use that too. Even if your rail isn't holed for one it'll still bite down (although may mark the top of the rail) and provide some stability. The fieldsports channel on YouTube have a decent vid on scope clamp set up, worth a watch.

James

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
So, after more looking, I still haven't decided! I just discovered the Hawke panorama 3-9x50 scope, and also the 'airmax range'. Theey looks very nice! I think I'll just take the plunge and einiee-meenie it!
Also after lots of looking at mounts, I still can't really tell a difference?

Last edited:

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
I've just put a Nikko Stirling mountmaster on my HW95k and am very pleased with it for the money (£33 Inc mounts) it seems well made and is nice and clear, in fairness it's my first scope on my first decent air rifle so I've not got much to compare it to but I prefer it to a much more expensive Hawke scope my mate has on his gun.

Cheers

T

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The mountmasters are ok for the money... my only real gripe with them is that the reticle is a little too thick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE