air rifle recommendation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
Hi,
i'm looking to buy a 'starter' air rifle, and i'm not sure what to go for, anyone got any ideas?
i have approx £200 to spend - but i'm happier spending less if its adequate, tho i expect i should be spending as much as poss to get summat half right.
I'm going after them varmint wabbit's to stick in the pot, and i'd like something that i can carry around all day without slipping a disc if poss!
I guess there's a widely recognised 'best all rounder' as there is with most things? i'd also like to buy British if i could, second hand is fine by me too...
thanks!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Depends on the type of rifle you are looking for.....

Spring powered- Cheap with a bit of a kick and no other bits to add to.

PCP (pre Charged)- these have an on board air cylinder, recoiless but you do need either a divers bottle or a stirup pump to charge them.

My preference would be for a second hand PCP with a stirup pump, i could never get on with "springers" but i'm sure others will recommend good springers.

I used to use an Air Arms S200- single shot, deadly accurate- i won a number of shooting competitions localy as well as a number of rabbits in my freezer. Lightweight and easy to carry.

Thats my 2p's worth. I'm sure others will go into more detail but i'm at work at the moment trying to look busy......although the boss is suspicious that downloading a printer driver doesn't take this much typing :D

Jan 22, 2006
uk
thanks,
the rifle's with the gas canisters in the stock keep getting recommended to me, so i guess i'm interested in them, but i'm open to ideas - the Air Arms S200 looks great.
I'm 6ft, 73kgs (12.5st) reasonably fit but not hugely muscular, so summat that wont tire me out would be good. again tho, if there's something heavy but dead good, i'm interested!
a kit with everything in there: tele sights, suppressor, good bag etc would be ideal i guess.
i'm going daytime rabbiting, poss some night time - but not much (i expect)
also do i need a liscence? in fact talk to me from scratch like im an idiot...which of course i'm not...much.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I can second the S200 it is a great piece of kit, I use mine all the time for rats and bunnies! these guns are also VERY light I can carry mine all day without a problem I got mine with scope, supressor, bottle, tin of pellets, and a bag for £350 so you should easily find one within your buget second hand!

If you keep the gun at 12ft/lb (The power a new rifle comes at) you do not need a license to own it (if you go over this power which you can do if you tweek these guns) you will need a FAC obviously you will need the landowners permission if you are bunny bagging!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I love my HW77K. I never got on with gas canisters - I like the appeal of being able to re-load forever!

If you're looking for reccomendations and good bargains 2nd hand check out AirgunBBS.
Just duck your head when you ask a newbie question as they are a hyperactive lot over there.
:)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i've registered, just waiting for the confirmation email then i'll ask 'em... hopefully i'll come away with a clear answer, although i'm sure its like 'whats the best tent/ etc'...
hex 3...easy!
cheers, anymore advive will be gratefully read :)

bartjen 2

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2006
belgium
hello i bought a Diana model 34 diameter 4.5 mm. Can kill a pigeon with a diabolo at about 70 yards Have payed about 270 euro, grear rifle

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
The BSA lightning is a pretty good carbine spring break action etc with sound moderator. Very accurate and consistant power. Easy to fit mounts and a scope too...

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
bartjen 2 said:
hello i bought a Diana model 34 diameter 4.5 mm. Can kill a pigeon with a diabolo at about 70 yards Have payed about 270 euro, grear rifle

I assume you don't have the same restrictions on power over there?

I used to have a Theoben Rapid Mk2 on an FAC ticket running 40ftLbs and 70 yards was about the limit for it on bunnies.

Hammockmonkey- The Airgun BBS is a good place for information but as said they can be a bit hyper :D (myself included). Another place to look could be Blackpool air rifles (http://www.airgunbuyer.com/index.asp) usual thing no connection etc just a very happy past customer. They do some good deals and theie knowledge and customer service is excellent.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The question about which airr*fle to get is an even bigger subject than which knife you should go for. As has been said already - you have a choice between springers and Pre-charged, both have their good and bad points. I would suggest that once you get amongst the good folks on Airgunbbs, ask about for someone that you can go out with to feel the differences and make you mind up before parting with your hard-earned cash. You may be confusing the "gas-canisters with CO2 powered item which are a variation of PCP running on carbon-dioxide caplets.

Bent-stick - there have been scare stories about using the plastic skirted pellets in that in certain circumstances the speed is so great through the barrel that a molten fillament of plastic gets melted to the inside of the bore where it builds up and can cause erratic accuracy issues.

As for licencing, you don't need a licence as such, but written permission from the owner of the land on which you are shooting is a very good idea - Even if you have verbal permission, the owner might not enjoy being woken at silly-o'clock in the morning just because Mr plod wants to verify that agreement!

Good Luck

Ogri the trog

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Marts said:
I like the appeal of being able to re-load forever!

I've not owned a air rifle for years but the reload forever of the spring rifles appeals to me, the smother recoil of gas also appeals. If I was looking at getting one again I'd seriously look at getting one that I could fit with a gas ram
http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Theoben Gas Rams&SubCat=Theoben Gas Rams

The BSA Lightning XL with a gas ram is rather taking my fancy now I've read this thread. With nowhere to shoot I think I can resist, for now, though.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
One thing nobody has mentioned yet and i don't know if you are aware of it hammockmonkey about the calibre of your rifle....

These are my opinions only and i'm sure other will have insights/experience to offer....

.177- Widely regarded as a "target" calibre. Small pellets but the muzzle velocity is higher than .22 and with the reduction of weight they have a much flatter flight path. I do know people that hunt with them but i understand you have to be very accurate to get a clean kill ( not that accuracy is unimportant with .22 either) as they don't have the "stopping power" of the .22.

.22- The "normal" calibre for hunting. Larger pellets, slower muzzle velocity so the curve of the pellet is much greater. This is best explained - if you are shooting at 35yards and you want to change to 45 yards you will have to 'hold over' (aim above) the target by a greater amount with the .22 pellet.

Sorry if this is old news to you, but you did say you were not very experienced :eek:

Jan 22, 2006
uk
excellent, plenty there for me to go away and read up about. I've got a few mates with air guns who live out in the sticks, i'll go and mither them for a afternoon sticking pellets in targets and reduce the spectrum of choice. I'll be on the bbs site too, should narrow it down before i ask them tho.

reminds me of the python - holy grail film

"right lads - rabbit stew for tea...aaarrrgghhh"

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I recently graduated from springer to PCP, and wouldn't look back.
I'm a poor shot, and wanted to minimise the risk of wounding: now I still have to fire several shots at a target before I can acknowledge that I'm hitting the target through my own skill rather than blind luck.
I thought it was hyperbole when I read other people claiming it, but you really can watch the pellet all the way to the target.

M

mikehill

I personally went from springer to PCP then back again :D The nicest gun I ever owned was A short Ripley thumbhole sporter in matt black with an exhibition grade stock :cool: Having said that if I was to go back to shooting it would be a TX200HC for me :) Take a look/drool at the website I manage ... www.ripleyrifles.co.uk
Mike.

M

mikehill

Totally handmade ... in a shed in Steve's garden, seriously :)
Mike.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE