Air Pistol - Suggestions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looking for advice.

I'm after an Air pistol for target plinking in the back garden.

Not sure what the options are but I'd like:- accurate , exchangeable magazine , blowback and military looking to take a speed holster.

Any air funner-gunners out there whom can advise me please.

( I shoot a LBP in Three Gun comps so just want something I can do some backyard plinking with and getting the eye/target acquisition in )

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What with your drone interest too, I may well be accused of helping empty your bank account in the near future. :bag:

Accuracy on blowback CO2 pistols isn’t great, the barrels aren’t rifled. But, no bother, they’re a lot of fun and half of the fun of plinking is a few misses. There are a lot of choices, I have a Swiss Arms P92 and it’s a lot of fun to shoot, heavy and satisfying blowback. Bought a spare mag, and bored a little hole so I can drip the BBs in rather than poke them in the end (takes ages). Fire off 20 BB, drop the mag out, bang another in and keep shooting. :)

Always fancied a Tanfoglio, they have a good rep.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What with your drone interest too, I may well be accused of helping empty your bank account in the near future. :bag:

Accuracy on blowback CO2 pistols isn’t great, the barrels aren’t rifled. But, no bother, they’re a lot of fun and half of the fun of plinking is a few misses. There are a lot of choices, I have a Swiss Arms P92 and it’s a lot of fun to shoot, heavy and satisfying blowback. Bought a spare mag, and bored a little hole so I can drip the BBs in rather than poke them in the end (takes ages). Fire off 20 BB, drop the mag out, bang another in and keep shooting. :)

Always fancied a Tanfoglio, they have a good rep.

What about the Pellet loading pistols ? Any good??

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I have the HW40 and HW45. They are perfectly accurate. In fact, when you're "in the zone" the HW45 is quite incredible. The recoil from the HW45 makes it more challenging to shoot but also very satisfying.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What about the Pellet loading pistols ? Any good??
I don’t really know. Blowback action and accuracy don’t really go together if you know what I mean, a lot of the gas is into the blowback. I’ve had a couple of Baikal Makarovs that have a rifled barrel and can take pellets, but there’s no blowback action on them.

As Kadushu says, if you really want accuracy you can’t beat the HWs but they’re single shot pellet pistols. The old Webley Nemesis is also a very accurate single shot pistol.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
the hw75 is very enjoyable no need to train and tame like hw45

Not sure if you read the opening post but I did state the requirements as :-

"Not sure what the options are but I'd like:- accurate , exchangeable magazine , blowback and military looking to take a speed holster."

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have a CP-88 that I bought years ago when I surrendered my Vostok .22 Target Pistol :(

It's Nickel finish with wood scales. It's a good weight, feels 'real', and is surprisingly accurate - well, for plinking; not as accurate as the Vostok but probably more accurate than I could shoot a .38 these days. You can get a barrel extension for it but I'm not sure that would take you to 'competition' standards. I bought it just for relaxed fun without all the hassle of using my firearms.

CP88.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a few:
- Umarex Glock 17 gen4 - .177 BB - great fun, very reliable, realistic etc - but let down by its accuracy, so i have to tailor my shooting sessions accordingly - with larger targets and an emphasis on speed instead
- Swiss Arms (Colt) 1911 .177 BB- classic colt .45 - fabulous. Strips (almost) like the real thing, Surprisingly accurate, not too bad on the gas, feels utterly solid, lovely crisp single action trigger. These are all actually made by a company called KWC. The Tangfolio Witness is the same gun just rebranded. Cost me £90 posted to my door from germany.
- Umarex P08 blowback (Luger) - great fun, strips (almost) like the real thing, very intricately made/engineered, a pleasure to use but also to own. Not hugely accurate, and eats the gas like you wouldn't believe. This is a 'special occasion only' type of gun to get out.
- Webley MkVI revolver (pellet version) - an absolute beast! Super realistic, accurate, load the pellets into the back of brass 'shells' then slot them into the revolver.

To be honest, the 1911 gets the most use of mine - its accurate enough to not be disappointing, fast firing, and fun. I even popped some genuine walnut grips on it. In the UK you have to buy face to face - and whilst its nice to support your local family owned gun shop, the lack of competition hikes up the prices. There are places in Europe where you can get the guns posted to the door (legally) within a few days, and are usually cheaper by quite a bit too. I've had a few from this place and can't fault them: https://www.versandhaus-schneider.de/index.php/cPath/40_89_108_1301 (albeit that was last year - they may add an extra 20% on top of the prices due to Brexit/UK VAT rules now...)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I also have a CP-88, has a bit of weight to it and is good fun. I picked it up 2nd hand to practice with as I'm terrible at shooting pistol/revolver. At least when I shoot black powder I can claim I can't see the target after a couple of shots!

Looking at the barrel it is rifled. I must give it a go again as I've made a decent .22 bullet catcher.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not sure if you're thinking of an air pistol or airsoft pistol
with airsoft you'll be able to get the same style grip etc as your LBP. i shoot a 1911 style LBP and there are huge numbers of 1911 airsoft stuff out there.
airsoft shoots the plastic balls about 5 or 6mm in diameter and normally white.
Accuracy isn't great but you can hit a standard practical type target at 25m. 10-15m group size can be maybe 6 inches or so. fine for back yard stuff.
if you want more accuracy you can spend silly money on a race gun!
It sounds like you want to practice target acquisition, reloads etc. A green gas airsoft will work well for that.
Because airsoft isn't tecnically a gun it's covered by the replica firearms rules which means it can be a little more difficult to get than an 'real' airgun which is really strange! I think Scotland have different rules about airguns than England so not sure about north of the border.

Have fun anyway.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Same basic question as initially stated but more now looking for an SBR type platform.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Funnily enough, this is something I've been thinking about recently.
I used to have an air rifle, but seldom used it so I got away with.
But nowadays I have my own land, so somewhere to use it.
I've been looking at something slightly different to what TeeDee is looking at.
I was thinking of one of these:
Fitted with one of these:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE