Air gun licencing, part deux

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The last thread on this topic went political.

I realise that the topic is 'topical' and relevant on a bushcraft forum.
To edit the last thread would be to more or less strip it to nothing, so.....let's start again shall we ? but this time No Politics!

cheers,
Toddy

Puddock
user-online.png
NomadNomad

Join DateNov 2010LocationDumfries and GallowayPosts410​

[h=2]
icon1.png
Air Rifle Licensing Scotland[/h]
Well it was bound to happen at some point - I see the consultation papers are out in Scotland for the licensing of Air Rifles. It seems that we are going to have to prove good reason to own, land to shoot on and also pay a license fee

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati...5619/downloads

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm rather surprised tbh; I reckoned it would need another major event featuring an airgun to get the ball rolling on this one.

Maybe the consultation exercise will come to something rational......that's a big maybe though :sigh:

The make up of the consultation panel does at least have representation from both sides of the debate.

Police / Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland /
Scottish Police Services Authority Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Scottish Target Shooting Federation
Gun Trade Association
British Shooting Sports Council
Scottish Air Rifle and Pistol Association
Gun Control Network
Scottish Community Safety Network
Convention of Scottish Local Authorities
Scottish Government

I suppose we'll see :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do not push this.

There are ways of holding a conversation that will cause no infringements.

I am trying hard to keep this thread alive, but comments like your last one Wook are not helpful.

Toddy

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The problem with a consultation is the number of people who may objectively think a ban is good based bad press will far out weigh the number of responsible users who it will impact. I think the writing is on the wall on this one ......... and it may force England to follow ....... :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might not :dunno: after all England and Wales and Northern Ireland hasn't followed Scotland's right of access.
Different countries, different population dynamics really.

cheers,
Toddy

i own two air rifles
one is older than most of the members of the forum individually and possibly older than a few combined
i've not fired them in at least 6 or 7 years but i would have to licence them if this act is followed in England which seems a bit odd

As Toddy says i would of thought some sort of incident would of caused this proposal rather than just introducing it even at a consultation stage.
is it perhaps a means of raising more finances?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Probably best not to enquire as to the reasons for such legislation Sam....that is bound to lead to specualtion of motive....which can be construed as political

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Definately to raise cash most things that come in are for that reason,the last serious incident that made the news that i remember in Scotland was a good few years ago,like was mentioned in thread before being deleted how would this work with regards people from England visiting friends and relatives in Scotland and bringing there air guns? would it be a strict no air weapons north of the border? a temp license? would you need to have permission to shoot on land,or be a member of a club to own one, 193 incidents out of 500,000 estimated owners,its another punish the many for stupidness of the few.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Well i suppose gaining permission if you want to shoot fauna on someones land is reasonable but what if you just want to plink a few cans with a youngster for fun?
I can't see them saying that's a good reason for ownership on its own, yet it seems to me that it's what they're used for more often than not.
Another licence fee? yeah right, if they want to do it then why ask responsible folks to fund what they don't want.

I'm not a hunter or shooter as such but have had and enjoyed air guns both pistol and rifle as much for the sport as appreciating them as effective tools,like a nice knife.

The minority that cause grief will just cause it again some other way without conscience as is always the case.
I think it's a shame, there are laws already to deal with the lawbreakers but they won't give a jot about new legislation.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Up here it came to the fore after a reprobate in a city fired an air rifle from a flat window whereby they missed their 'target' and hit a toddler who sadly died.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Barn owl thats what i was getting at, i have a large garden which has a small bit of woodland at the end of it plenty of room to do some target shooting etc,but like you im guessing this would not count as a valid reason, tbh ive not got any air weapons anymore, i gave my last one away to my nieghbours lad about 5 years ago,its more the reasons and principle that get me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mind I mentioned population dynamics ? The reality is that most of Scotland's population live in close contact with each other. It only takes a few numpties with no conscience, or decent guidance, to cause a lot of grief :sigh:

It's one thing to roam open land, whether it's hill, moor, forest or shore, but there are folks live there too, and why should they have to fret over a numpty plinking where they live ?

I'd have thought British Red and the other shooting fraternity would have been all for it. Push for compulsary training to go with those licences, and that way at least there's no excuse for saying that they "didnae know".
Indeed there's a good idea, training courses offered with discount vouchers at point of purchase in every shooting or tackle shop in the land.

Make folks think about what they're doing isn't a bad thing.

We've a few airguns in the house too; Son2's going to have to make up his mind what he wants to do with them.

cheers,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Barn owl thats what i was getting at, i have a large garden which has a small bit of woodland at the end of it plenty of room to do some target shooting etc,but like you im guessing this would not count as a valid reason, tbh ive not got any air weapons anymore, i gave my last one away to my nieghbours lad about 5 years ago,its more the reasons and principle that get me.

Exactly Andy, i used to have a target on a thick bit of ply attached to a brick wall out back for 'testing' my skills.
Same when a boy a target on the garden hut for my pistol shooting with the wee darts you used to get.
Good fun.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd have thought British Red and the other shooting fraternity would have been all for it. Push for compulsary training to go with those licences, and that way at least there's no excuse for saying that they "didnae know".
Indeed there's a good idea, training courses offered with discount vouchers at point of purchase in every shooting or tackle shop in the land.

You would have thought wrong.

Its there with compulsory training for horse riding as far as I'm concerned - lets face it, horse riding injures far more people each year. If life saving is the aim of the ban, I'm sure an alcohol consumption licence would save far more lives and prevent more crimes in a week than an airgun licence does in a year.

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Be good if there were free classes to have a plink in communities, to educate youngsters in just what a pellet can do.
I don't see anything wrong in showing them the effects of same in say a dead squirrels head or torso or even pics of pellets in human 'accidents'.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You would have thought wrong.

Its there with compulsory training for horse riding as far as I'm concerned - lets face it, horse riding injures far more people each year. If life saving is the aim of the ban, I'm sure an alcohol consumption licence would save far more lives and prevent more crimes in a week than an airgun licence does in a year.

Well said that man!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, no, no......it's not that they kill people BR, it's that they greatly inconvenience and frighten people, that's the issue.

The toddler's senseless death was a tragedy, but the chances of it happening were miniscule compared to the sheer scale of the idiotic behaviour of what appears to have been a significant number of cretinous eejits.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........and I too played with airguns, still have a scar from where my bother shot me too :rolleyes: childhood was robust in them days. Doesn't make it right though.

The target frame with its lead backstop is still on the shed door here.

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE