Ahhhhh, WINTER!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
I've been busier than a cat burying scat, as Grandma used to so eloquently put it. It's nice to break off and catch up on my favorite kind of folk, "Bushcrafters". It's a peaceful break after reading nothing but notes and textbooks for what seems like eternity.
I donned snowshoes for the first time since I was twelve years old and following my Grandad's trapline. Today, I pay. I didn't know how many muscles a human being has in their hips, buttocks and inner thigh. Goodness, is all I can say. Well, that and a few other things, as I crobbled out of my bed and sought out my easychair.
I've been planning a solo camping trip to begin next week and last for several days. The logistics of hauling just a thirty pound pack had me concerned since the snow here is rather deep in places and my dog just can't pull the sled when it gets this high, especially when he's wearing his pack (I make him carry his own food, dish, and water, we share sleeping arrangements in winter so I carry the blanket).
So, Bear is staying home and now I have to decide if I'm going to pull the sled without his help and carry my pack or just leave some things behind. When i was young and spry I camped light. For a winter weekend I may have carried around fifteen pounds of gear. Now that I'm a bit more sensitive to the cold that weight has doubled. In retrospect, that's kind of bass-ackwards but, it is what it is. Suddenly it dawned on me, snowshoes! I called my brother and off we went. I have a pair of Ojibwa shoes and he has another traditional set. We had a great time and spent the afternoon in the woods. I'd forgotten how peaceful the forest is in this season. The chickadees and jays, an occasional bark from a squirrel and the breeze through the sleeping birch trees and pines. Heaven will be like this for me.
Back on earth though... When I returned home I discovered that I had broken some of the rawhide webbing on my left shoe. I'm sure that it was from crossing over one of many downed trees (we had a recent heavy, wet, snow) which can be tricky with 48 X 12 inch shoes on. Anyway, I digress, as usual.
Now, not wishing to further damage my equipment and unable to facilitate a repair until I can make the proper materials, I've purchased a pair of Tubbs "Pathfinder" snowshoes. Modern materials with aesthetics only a Klingon could love. My son told me five years ago that it was time to move into the twenty first century and bought me a computer. That's worked out wonderfully and opened a whole new dimension of the world to me. I'm hoping this experiment will do the same. I do love the traditional though and it's hard to part with what I'm accustomed to.
I'm expecting to be able to have more maneuverability with the new gear and be able to pull the sled and carry my pack without help from Bear. All I need now is a weather forecast that doesn't call for nighttime temps lower than 10 degrees F, that's about my comfort limit with two wool blankets, a reflector fire and a lean-to. Actually, my first real clue that I was getting older came when I went hiking a while back and by sunset the temps had dropped to a little above 5 deg. F. I got good and cold on the way home. It wasn't that long ago I was playing with my dogs in -20's F, and loving it. This year I'm taking along a bit more food and another layer of clothing for the trip.
I guess I'll see how this twenty first century gear will hold up and how these aging bones will take the weather. I'm hoping for some light snow just for the sake of aesthetics and for some warmer nights just for the sake of my hide.
If anyone has managed to plow through all of this blather and has a word of advice concerning the use of modern snowshoes, or anything else for that matter, I'm all ears.
In the mean time, Cheers! (as some folks say).:campfire::christmas2:

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Sounds wonderful. Had my first campout of the year the other night. Nearly didn't bother to get into my hammock. We're hardly having a winter this year so far. Night time temps have been pushing 10 degrees C (think that's 50 f) so didn't even have my jacket on. Quite fancy camping out in snow conditions, if only to test my metal.

Well impressed you can get your kit so light, I struggle to get that light in summer!

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
In response to: jackcbr and elen sentier.......

I don't know much at all about what it is like in the UK or anywhere else for that matter, when it comes to camping on government land. Here in northern Michigan we have in my county about 70% State and Federal land. During the winter we are free to pitch camp almost anywhere. During the summer I refuse to use a designated campground and do what I think you all call 'stealth' camping(?)To me state campgrounds have the feel of refugee camps. I hate the crowds and noise and the new breed of adolescent. Come to think of it, I guess I'm a curmudgeon. Anyway my point is, I'm free to use as much firewood as I can gather and cut poles for my leanto &c. Using a reflector behind my fire I can sleep very comfortably in sub freezing weather using only a military surplus wool blanket and a poncho with its liner. I use a sleeping pad and stay dressed except for my boots. My kids used to love camping when they were younger but now as adults they prefer to go "fancy campin" as I refer to call it when I want to rib them a bit. When I was growing up I camped very light out of habit because my first experiences were with my granddad and that's how he did it. I'm too old for that now and honestly don't know how he managed. We did forage on the trail though so we didn't have to carry much food except some jerked meat of some kind, I never thought to ask, dried fruit and crackers my Gram used to make. I used to call them sinkers because they would sink in coffee and seem not to get soft. I don't forage meat anymore as a matter of personal ethics so I carry more food now too. I'd love to go over to UK and EU to hike. My son lived in the UK for five years and took his family hiking at least once a month. They just moved back 6 months ago (my grandkids sound like Yorkshire-men) and they miss it a lot.
Oh yeah, the Klingon aesthetic. I was reffering to how they are all hard looking and unnatural, being aluminum, plastic and steel. They just don't seem to belong in the woods.

Last edited:

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
In response to: jackcbr and elen sentier.......

The weight may not be all that low depending on how you calculate it. I don't know the 'official' method. I don't count the weight of my pack only its contents. I use my old A.L.I.C.E. pack and it runs at six pounds. The weight of my walking stick doesn't count up in my calculation either.The weight of my clothing is probably pretty substantial this time of year too. I don't use a tent or sleeping bag but depending on the forecast take one or two wool blankets and sometimes a poncho and liner. For tools I carry a tomahawk, a belt knife, compass and map. I carry one pot and a 1 quart canteen cup. I use a wooden fork and spoon that I carved so I suppose that saves an ounce or more. My sleeping pad is my luxury item. Food is pretty light but not as light as some folks use. I see a lot of dehydrated wonderchow on the trail. I don't have a problem with carrying a few potato's and a hank of smoked hog jowl (just like bacon only much fattier). I do use some dry food like rice, cornmeal, oats and crackers. In summer I bring along pre-made bread mix that I put together at home. By the way, I think that the snowshoes weigh in around 4 1/2 pounds and I wasn't even thinking about that since I'll be using them for the first time in ages. The shoes are due to arrive on the eighth or ninth, I'll know then how much they weigh. In the long run that may take the shine off the weight factor! I don't want anyone to think I'm like a Yehti or something, just strolling the frozen wasteland, munching tree limbs and impervious to the elements.

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
We don't doubt your figures mate, we are just jealous. Sadly we don't have quite the freedom you have in the countryside. There is precious little land where you can free camp (officially) in the uk. 99% of land is privately owned (this figure may not be true) and cutting down wood isn't something that is practised as we have soo little over here. Having said that, I'm sure with more practice and skills I can get my weight down. My kit usually has a shelter (either tarp or tent), sleeping bag, change of kit, cooking set including stove and fuel, food, water and water filter, wet weather gear, camera. As its difficult to get away with open fires in the UK, we generally have to carry a little more kit. But then I know guys that carry a lot less in the UK, guess I just need to man up a bit more and get on with it.

But fair play to you buddy, I would love to go for a night out with you, I think I've got a lot to learn from you.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I love my Klingon snowshoes but they sure aren't pretty.They are surprisingly effective on even fairly icy slopes as they have carbide studs to bite into the surface and hinged "bearclaws" to help on deeper snow.I think that is probably where they have an advantage over the traditional Canadian and US styles but they are less useful on soft deep powder.Ugly but effective ; like 4 wheel drive for feet.I don't ski any more but the family do so I take my snowshoes along and just have a bimble up a mountain or two.It's lovely to find a hidden valley where the skiers and boarders haven't been and just enjoy the views.
Both my pairs are in the Lakes at the moment so just praying for snow so I can get out there.
Cheers , Simon

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Two weeks now and I've been rained-out twice. What a disgusting turn of events. We had rain in my neighborhood yesterday and last night a winter storm moved in, oh boy!! Since I have blocks of three days at a time to do my camping I watch the weather closely. It looks like this coming weekend will be perfect but, the last two periods were supposed to be ideal too. The other option I may take is mid-week. Problem with that is single digit temps in the day and 0 to sub-zero overnight (Fahrenheit of course).
While I'm contemplating my next move, I decided to take a small test of my gear since today barely peeked above 4 deg. F. I wore my canvas mukluks with one pair of wool socks and liners, polypro long johns, wool cap, lined mittens with cuffs to the elbows and my woolen, 3/4 length capote. I took the Bear along just because he loves it when we hike. The muks' worked wonderfully as always. I love those things. They breathe well and have a lot of room. I always used a rule of thumb for the winter that if you can't wiggle your toes, your boots are too tight. It didn't take but 10 minutes and my head began to perspire, not good. My core was so warm though that I had to take off my mittens because of the moisture building in the liners. Basically, I had two problems beside being too warm. My bum was cold and my eye-glasses got steamed up. If any one out there has a cure for the eyeglass thing I'd just love to hear it. It has been a curse for as long as I can remember during the cold.
Well, that's all. Just wanted to write. Enjoy!

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
The arctic front continues:
The Bear and I love this stuff, for brief excursions that is. It's been warmer in Anchorage Alaska for the last few days than it has been here. It's still too cold to camp for pleasure. This is survival camping to me. Perhaps a campout just for the challenge would be in order. Problem is this; I would normally have my wife drop me off somewhere out in the county with a predetermined pickup day and time. The auto can't be just left by the side of the road or it may end up buried by the snow plows as they clean the roads. The cell phone coverage here is very spotty so, I wouldn't be able to call if something went wrong. The lowest temps we can expect here in any given year are about -30 to -40 degrees F. Those are extremes but not uncommon. Since I've hit my late 50's in age, I just don't get or stay warm like I used to. I'm dying to get out because as each year passes I come closer and closer to being locked into three seasons. The woods are a sanctuary for me. Really the only place I truly feel 'at home' so, to be limited in this way is not a happy prospect. The only alternatives are to bring in about 25 lbs more kit, ie, tentage and a camp stove or to cut enough pine boughs to build a large enough wikkiup to accommodate a small fire. I really hate cutting live wood and while it isn't a legal problem so long as I don't start clearing tracts of forest land, I have a problem with it. I prefer as small a 'footprint' as possible when I'm woodsrunnin'.

I know that you crafters in the Nordic lands face these conditions all the time and there must be some folk from more temperate climes that have experience. That said, does anyone out there have any words of advice on dealing with sub zero temps while over-nighting? The snow here is the wrong kind for igloos and at present not deep enough for a decent cave. What would y'all do?

Thanks for tolerating my whining.

Best to all,
X
:vio:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Grand reading and feeling your passion :thumbup:
Atb
chis
eha4a4yb.jpg

An thers Nowt wrong wi us Yorkshire folk lol

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Grand reading and feeling your passion :thumbup:
Atb
chis

An thers Nowt wrong wi us Yorkshire folk lol

No sir! Not a thing:)

Thank you for your comment and for the photo. The scenery in the background looks inviting; Location? Your pup looks a lot like one I had some years back. She was a wonderful girl and we played together in the weather all the time. Though she was short haired it didn't seem to bother her at all. She refused to wear the 'boots' I made for her to protect her pads from the ice but it never seemed to have a bad effect even on frigid days.Sometimes it was so cold she'd grow a frost beard. She was a once in a lifetime companion. She's passed and now I spend my time outdoors with "the Bear", he's kind of a knuckle head but.....Do folks in Britain get as sentimental about their dogs as we do here in the states?
Your companion looks like he's enjoying the stroll. Do you take him often?
That's all.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The arctic front continues:
The Bear and I love this stuff, for brief excursions that is. It's been warmer in Anchorage Alaska for the last few days than it has been here. It's still too cold to camp for pleasure. This is survival camping to me. Perhaps a campout just for the challenge would be in order. Problem is this; I would normally have my wife drop me off somewhere out in the county with a predetermined pickup day and time. The auto can't be just left by the side of the road or it may end up buried by the snow plows as they clean the roads. The cell phone coverage here is very spotty so, I wouldn't be able to call if something went wrong. The lowest temps we can expect here in any given year are about -30 to -40 degrees F. Those are extremes but not uncommon. Since I've hit my late 50's in age, I just don't get or stay warm like I used to. I'm dying to get out because as each year passes I come closer and closer to being locked into three seasons. The woods are a sanctuary for me. Really the only place I truly feel 'at home' so, to be limited in this way is not a happy prospect. The only alternatives are to bring in about 25 lbs more kit, ie, tentage and a camp stove or to cut enough pine boughs to build a large enough wikkiup to accommodate a small fire. I really hate cutting live wood and while it isn't a legal problem so long as I don't start clearing tracts of forest land, I have a problem with it. I prefer as small a 'footprint' as possible when I'm woodsrunnin'.

I know that you crafters in the Nordic lands face these conditions all the time and there must be some folk from more temperate climes that have experience. That said, does anyone out there have any words of advice on dealing with sub zero temps while over-nighting? The snow here is the wrong kind for igloos and at present not deep enough for a decent cave. What would y'all do?

Thanks for tolerating my whining.

Best to all,
X
:vio:

Can you not prepare your winter camp in the summer?

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Can you not prepare your winter camp in the summer?

Since times such as these cause such consternation I think it would be advisable. If I choose to, I can build a litter shelter and stash a cord or so of firewood. A few extra supplies in a sungjuin would round things out nicely. That would save me a lot of grief. I usually get about on very short notice but prior planning is looking more appealing. I also dislike being locked into a specific location. At least if I am locked in, so to speak, I will at least be able to get out when the temps get so frigid. I can also use it only in circumstances such as in the present. We're expecting -8F to -10F temps tonight and tomorrow night. I'm glad I didn't set out for sheer stubbornness (as is my nature), I'd be paying the price about now. Thanks for the suggestion:)

Hrafnmann

Jan 19, 2013
BC
I donned snowshoes for the first time since I was twelve years old and following my Grandad's trapline. Today, I pay. I didn't know how many muscles a human being has in their hips, buttocks and inner thigh. Goodness, is all I can say. Well, that and a few other things, as I crobbled out of my bed and sought out my easychair. ...

Oh I hear you. I went for a four-hour snowshoe the other week in some steep terrain and by the end of it the hips were none too happy on the way down. Next day things were a bit stiff but I stretched matters out and was ready for another go. I jacked in snowshoeing years ago in favour x-country skiing to getting around in the winter wonderland but only recently decided to take up snowshoeing again because I was missing some of my old haunts back in the rough. Skiing is great if you have some open but for thick bush and miserable terrain, snowshoes are it. Looking at my ancient tennis rackets I decided to retire them and got some MSR Axis snowshoes. Wow, the difference is night and day with regards to ease of walking and traction and no more fighting with bindings! And poles are a must if you want to reduce fatigue. I see so many people snowshoeing without poles but if only they knew that the increased balance and so easing of muscle strain will get you a lot further for a lot longer. I daresay I’ve rediscovered the joy of snowshoeing and the winter forest.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Oh I hear you. I went for a four-hour snowshoe the other week in some steep terrain..................... I’ve rediscovered the joy of snowshoeing and the winter forest.

It's a wonderful thing isn't it. So many people don't know what they're missing. I've never done cross country skiing but have been wanting to try one of these days. I got my modern snow shoes a while ago and then we had three days of rain and temps in the 40's-50's F. We still had snow but it was more like ice and just not suitable for any good recreation. The snow has been slowly building back up and when conditions permit I'll be shoeing and camping for several days. This weekend is looking very promising. I've not used two poles before but am in the habit of using one, you are so right, it does help with fatigue. I think after reading your post I'll try two.
Take care and have fun.

Hrafnmann

Jan 19, 2013
BC
It's a wonderful thing isn't it. So many people don't know what they're missing. I've never done cross country skiing but have been wanting to try one of these days. I got my modern snow shoes a while ago and then we had three days of rain and temps in the 40's-50's F. We still had snow but it was more like ice and just not suitable for any good recreation. The snow has been slowly building back up and when conditions permit I'll be shoeing and camping for several days. This weekend is looking very promising. I've not used two poles before but am in the habit of using one, you are so right, it does help with fatigue. I think after reading your post I'll try two.
Take care and have fun.

Oh indeed try two poles. . .you’ll never go back to flailing about with none. In the Rockies here we’ve had some excellent snowshoe conditions but things are getting a little crusty and another dump of snow wouldn’t go amiss. Temps so far haven’t dipped below the –23C mark yet this year which helps reduce the beardcicles. :D

As for x-country skiing, do try it if you get a chance. It is a bit of a learning curve but most folk can shuffle around easily enough. You can cover some serious distances with skis in pretty much any snow condition. The skis I use are the shorter and wider bushwhacking types with a metal edge and a stiff boot that gives me some telemarking capability. All handy features when not following a set trail.

Get out there and have fun this weekend. Hey, if the snowshoeing is crap there is always ice-fishing and bs-ing around the campfire. :camping:

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Oh indeed try two poles. . .you’ll never go back to flailing about with........................... :D
....... there is always ice-fishing and bs-ing around the campfire. :camping:

Thanks for the advice. Short wide skis make sense. I assume the principle is the same as for snowshoes, square inches of area. We do have close to a hundred miles of groomed trails for cc skiing in my county. Winter sports are very popular in the community during the off season when canoeing and hunting are done. I'm really surprised that more people here aren't interested in winter camping. The Boy Scouts do it a couple times a year and on occasion I've taught them winter survival before they do the "Klondike Derby" no one seems interested after they grow up, too busy I guess. I'd love to see the Rockies and do some hiking/camping there. I've never seen a mountain like the ones out West or in BC. Closest I've come is driving through the Smokies at night, not much of a thrill. I can't imagine how beautiful the scenery is and envy the folks that live there. I'm scared of heights though so climbing is out of the question. In our part of the state it's very hilly but nothing that even compares to where you are. The highest point (ha, I almost said peak :eek:) is in the order of 1300 feet according to my USGS survey map. I'm afraid that they're little more than ant hills, though the place is covered with them.
Thanks again for the advice on poles and for piquing my long dormant interest in cc skiing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE