Afternoon Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Went for a bimble over the hill by my house on Sunday afternoon, I had intended to go fishing but the forecast on three different tv channels said the weather was going to be awful with heavy rain forecast, in the end it didn't happen, so not wanting to be stuck at home all day i hit the trail.

The path starts about half a mile, if not less from my front door

Dscn4549.jpg

Bit further down the trail

Dscn4551.jpg

Did a bit of tracking, anyone know this breed of crossed legged dog with it's distinctive tracks? :lol:

Dscn4553.jpg

The Elder & Dog Rose were in full flower

Dscn4564.jpg

Dscn4563.jpg

A bit further up found some common mallow, i love this plant if only for it's striking petals

Dscn4556.jpg

Also found a non native growing up on the hill, now i know global warming is true, a fig tree, no fruit that i can see, but i shall keep my eye on it as i love fresh figs.

Dscn4558.jpg

The path again

Dscn4559.jpg

These woods are about a mile from home, but totally out of bounds unfortunately the landowner is very particular who uses his woods, ie nobody can.

Dscn4560.jpg

Getting further away from home now, the woods are the same ones as pictured above

Dscn4566.jpg

Still on the path, the scenery is starting to change now to proper downland

Dscn4568.jpg

General view from the path to the West, the large hill in the background is Cissbury Ring an Iron Age hill fort dating back to 300BC, more info here
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mai.../w-south_east-places-west_sussex-cissbury.htm

Dscn4571.jpg

Finally reached my destination for the afternoon

Dscn4594.jpg

a few general views of the area i sat in for a couple hours just taking it all in

Dscn4588.jpg

Dscn4589.jpg

Dscn4590.jpg

The big old Ash tree i perched myself under while i had a brew

Dscn4572.jpg

Had a bit of an explore and found this hole in the base of another Ash tree, think it's mouse or vole, closer inspection showed it was still in use as there were fresh grass leaves up inside the tunnel.

Dscn4596.jpg

Loads of Deadly Nightshade & Bladder Campion nearby to where i sat

Dscn4592.jpg

Dscn4598.jpg

Rscn4608.jpg

After a time which always seems too short, it was time to head back home was also the time i saw my one and only butterfly of the day

Dscn4604.jpg

Dscn4600.jpg

What started as a bad day, turned out alright in the end, a nice satisfying walk in the afternoon sunshine, roll on next weekend.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like a really nice area and a great day out. What a pity the landowner won't let you use his woodland ...

Simon

It really is a shame as it's a well established woodland, some of the reason he doesn't let people in there is because he has shooting parties up there, but as ive said to him in the past, if you are shooting i wont be there anyway, and i have also offered to call him prior to going up there to gain his permission to use them for a particualr day/weekend if only to let him know it's me in the woods and nobody else, the answer is still a resounding "No", win some lose some i suppose

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE