After some knife restoration advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I have no idea whether this is up to much but this has been in dads shed for years gradually deteriorating. The original sheath has long gone too. Anybody recognise the maker VENTURE made in Sheffield?

Since signing up to this forum its given me the incentive to ask him to find it out and pass it to me as a bit of a restoration project.

Here's how it looked when he gave it me this evening:

20130107_170520.jpg

I don't have much in the way of restoration stuff but as I'm in to my car detailing I had a few products I thought may be useful.

Firstly I sprayed the blade with IronX to help stop the heavy oxidisation in the metal followed by a rinse, some brake cleaner and some elbow grease with a piece of 320 sand paper I had lying around.

It's come up much better but still needs a lot of work and that's where you come in!

20130107_182220.jpg

Can I have suggestions please of what to do with it next? Although the worst is off, you can still see there's some deeper black pitting in the steel so I was thinking about getting about 4 grades of sandpaper ranging from about 160 to 600/700ish to try and get the remaining black out before smoothing the finish off again. What does everyone else think?

Once the steel looks good I can get someone to put a good edge on it for me. I'll try and bring up the wood (again suggestions please) and was thinking Brasso for the brass?

Once its back to its former glory I'll see if I can get someone on here to do me a nice personalised leather sheath and was going to give it back to dad as a present. :)

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had one identical to that when I was a kid, swapped it out to a mate for something that I can't even remember.

Oh and another vote for Garryflex abrasive impregnated rubber blocks, think I got mine from Chronos engineering and they are almost at the bottom of the page.

Get a few of them cos they are quite addictive. You will end up cleaning random bits of metal with them.

Last edited:

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I think you are done. Why try to make it look new? Every knife my grandfather ever had was in that kind of shape so put a nice edge on it and use it.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure how much use it will get but even if it ends up as an ornamental piece I thought it would be put to better use than rusting away in a shed. I'm not planning on changing anything about it, just thought it would be nice to get it looking as it did when it was new again :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE