After Some Advice on Hammock / Basha Setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Hi all,

I've searched high and low, think I've answered my question but would appreciate some verification.

My DD camping hammock reaches further than my DPM basha can cover. I usually have it taut, fairly flat and so far all my nights have been without rain.

How do people here ensure their hammock is completely under the basha? I've noticed that many hammock setups are "slacker" than mine - could someone please confirm if this is to avoid it extending beyond the cover of the basha?

My question has left me feeling silly, but I just can't find mention of it to confirm my thoughts anywhere. I've been advised to go "corner to corner", but with a rectangular basha this isn't much good - or is it?

Two silly questions, swear I'm a thoughtful guy! I'm hoping to get out saturday and I'm REALLY hoping it pours down, I'd well appreciate a bit of wisdom!

I used to use a dpm tarp with my dd travel hammock, I also used to string my hammock quite tightly. In bad rain with wind the ends of the hammock would get damp so I used to put the tarp covering one end more and hang a coat over the other end to keep the rain off which meant I had to have a spare coat if I wanted to wear one too.
I upgraded to a 3x3 dd tarp and never looked back. I also now put more sag in my hammock. It's all down to personal preference and you need to use it until you are happy with the set up you have.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I use a dd camping hammock and a dpm basha too.i tie the hammock knots a good few feet above the ridge line knots causing the hammock too hang in a u shape.your basha will cover the ends if your hammock this way but only a few inches or so.thsts the way I like it lazy boy style.if yer want it tight you'll need a bigger tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I always wondered why Ray Mears attached his hammock above his tarp that explains it. He says to do it that way on his hammock dvd but not why

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
I use a dd camping hammock and a dpm basha too.i tie the hammock knots a good few feet above the ridge line knots causing the hammock too hang in a u shape.your basha will cover the ends if your hammock this way but only a few inches or so.thsts the way I like it lazy boy style.if yer want it tight you'll need a bigger tarp

Thanks mate I appreciate it, I never noticed which was tied higher when I've seen this setup. Cheers!

Thanks everyone else too, and the jacket over the end is a wicked idea!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Different hammocks lay differently. On my RM System, the hammock was most comfortable tied slack. But on my Exped Scout, it is best tied taut. If that is the case with the DD, then only a larger tarp can fix the rain ingress problem.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks mate I appreciate it, I never noticed which was tied higher when I've seen this setup. Cheers!

Thanks everyone else too, and the jacket over the end is a wicked idea!

It's no probs pal.i tend too set the basha first Keeping it central as possible between the trees.i set mine quite low compared too some of my friends only about 5 feet from the floor(so I stoop my head slightly when underneath).then yer can set your hammock too that.tie one side of the hammock up as high as you can reach but leaving enough length on the webbing so the end of hammock is just under the end of yer basha when pulled towards ( if that makes sense.)then go too the other side and tie the other end up keeping your hammock webbing knots as level as possible.if you don't keep your hammock and knots level you'll slide too one end in the night.keep your knots loose n you can adjust everything too suit.take your time.its like riding a bike.happy swinging!

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
"Slack" hang - 30 degree hang angle from horizontal used to reduce the strain on the hammock suspension to manageable size. At 25 degrees, the strain on each cord is equal to your weight. as the angle reduces, the strain increases exponentially. using a safety margin of 5 (OSHA demands 10x for safety lines), you should use suspension lines with a breaking strain of 650 to 750 kg.

For typical 9 or 10 foot (3 metre) hammocks, a tarp ridge length of 11' (3.60 metres) is reommended when using a 25-30 degree hang angle. A diagonal ridgeline is frequently a very good idea to get an adequate level of coverage.

For more coverage of hammock basics, www.ultimatehang.com is a very good source, as is the book of the same name.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am going away from a Hammock now due to the fact that it does not matter how I hang it i end up waking at least 4 times a night for a pee... no it not because I am cold.. they are just not for me...unless its very wet and boggy and I can not take a camp bed.... normally I ground dwell it now...

But heres my thoughts on a Tarp, hope it helps

Myself I don’t like diamond tarps.. ok in the summer but in the winter give very little protection to things on the ground, they cannot be lowered to the ground to stop the airflow under them, if the rain is falling at an angle /getting blown, then anything on the ground will get wet...this leads me to say square or rectangle,

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (poncho Tarp)..

The 3x3 in my opinion is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. But for me the reasons above count it out,

I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,

I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably burrito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice height for me and does not restrict movement under the Tarp.. the amount of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, if you have not got a communal shelter....The only thing I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.

The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course Boonie weekends..lol

I like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and dripping inside the tarp on to whatever’s under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging possibility’s of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,

So to me the 4 x4 is the best size for my needs...hope my thoughts help

Sep 18, 2014
Blackpool
Nobody on here seems to use a ridge line on their hammock.

This is a line of cord between each end of the hammock so that the hammock droops down. You then can lie diagonal in the hammock which means you lie flat.

This also means you can have your suspension lines at about 30 degrees.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
For me, I have a DD hammock and Tarp 3m x 3m. I like a hang with little slack so have my Tarp as a diamond hang. As I am not very tall I never get a high ridge line and so the tarp does give a lot of cover to the hammock and the ground. In really bad weather ( snow) I have had the tarp corners touching the floor to give that extra shelter to the hammock.

ShooTa

Oct 9, 2014
N Wales
dont confine yourself to haging the basha in its basha formation - aka roof pitched along the hammock - instead switch it to a diagonal one where two of the coners touch the ground - with this you will (i hope) be fully able to cover your hammock.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
They're a lot more expensive, but I really rate the Hennessy hammocks for poor weather hammocking. I've camped in snow and freezing rain in mine and been absolutely fine. The Hennessy uses an integral ridge line, so you just bang it up tight and horizontal and the hammock itself is all set correctly. They have asymmetric tarps built in too. You just vary the angle of pitch depending on the weather. Rather than a string on the securing line, I split a squash ball into halves, bored a small hole in each and threaded them onto each end with the open 'cup' bit facing outwards. It stops any rain/dew whatever dribbling in. Having said all that, I prefer some DD set ups when its warmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE