some advice on my Polish Lavvu!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, I'm wondering if a kind soul could offer me some advice on pitching my newly acquired polish Lavvu?

I'm fairly new to bushcraft and indeed this forum but as i prepare for my first camp during the may bank holiday, I've spent a lot of time reading lavvu reviews on this forum and thought I'd give one a try.

So I've buttoned it all together and have tried pitching it in the garden, I was very happy with the size of the tent so the next task was to test it for water resistance! This is where it went a bit wrong, as my wife showered the lavvu with the watering can I found that some water was coming in via the peak where the two hoods cover the pole. Esseentially there's a small gap at the first button where the two hoods overlap each other. I've not heard anyone complain of any issues in this regard (mostly its about what way round to pitch the lavvu!) so I'm left wondering if there's a technique that I'm not aware of?

Most grateful for any advice on offer.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
PIC_0100_zpsb34599b7.jpg

Best I could find I'm afraid... hopefully you can spot what I mean or someone else will chip in with a better pic.

If the weather holds I'll be pitching mine tomorrow so I'll get some better ones myself.

One thing I would suggest is to waterproof the button threads - in really heavy rain the fabric still sheds water perfectly, but once the threads attaching the buttons get soaked through they can start to drip. I doped mine with a mix of paraffin (candle) wax and petroleum jelly melted together. Used warm it's quickly wicked up by the thread but doesn't harden as much as straight paraffin wax so won't break away if you undo the buttons.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Aha thanks very much, I pitched the lavvu the other way round but have just tried it your way with the pocket buttons on the outside and it creates a much better seal at the top.

Next job is to waterproof if as I got some of the waterproof spray from aldi (they've got camping gear in at the mo!)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That's the way I pitched mine also. I tried to pitch it the other way but could not get the top to fold over properly but doing it like the pic it folds over itself perfectly. I ended up cutting the excess material off that hangs on the inside when pitched like the picture as it serves no purpose unless when used as a poncho, the bits of canvas are perfect for sewing over the arm holes so that you can leave them open without water getting in.
The only trouble with pitching it like the picture is when doing up the buttons from inside, the last few at the bottom become tricky and a pain.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks for the link, saw that vid and the vids on Wiltshire mans channel and they all have very conflicting comments about which way round to pitch the lavvu. To me it seemed obvious to pitch it like it is in the vid (in link above) but I just couldn't see how you make the peak nice and water tight. In this regard the other way around makes more sense? All down to trial and error I suppose!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Elgatoloco

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for the link, saw that vid and the vids on Wiltshire mans channel and they all have very conflicting comments about which way round to pitch the lavvu. To me it seemed obvious to pitch it like it is in the vid (in link above) but I just couldn't see how you make the peak nice and water tight. In this regard the other way around makes more sense? All down to trial and error I suppose!

I was with Polish SAR for 3mnths, we often joked that no one really knows how to pitch them correctly, not even the guy that invented it, that's the whole point of it, having fun!;)

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I pitch mine as above picture with shoulder flaps on inside. Have reproofed it, also added para cord loops to make pegging out easier with larger better pegs and added some para cord to the door buttons so I can close the door Dutch lacing style.
apa7abyh.jpg

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Thanks, no need to stitch in, just make loops and button in place, bottom loop just peg or use a toggle, need to get out fast just un peg and pull apart. Easy mod that works. To close door thread top loop through button hole, pull down loop in line with next hole and take next loop and thread through loop and button hole, then carry on down to last loop. On the reproofing front it did take about 2lt, did not spray on but used a brush to give the canvas a good coat. I know some don't like this setup and the pole does get in the way, but for the money I love it, just need a stuff sack big enough now to keep it all tucked away tidy like. I'm only 5'10" so I do fit in the lavvu ok, two Man tent it is not, but for the money and ease of pitching it fine. One man and his kit it plenty big enough unless your over 6'. Just need a bit bigger ground sheet then I'm all done.

Last edited:

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use 4 of the old expanding washing poles on mine on the inside and I find I get a lot more room or another alternative is to tie some core to the peak and then string it up under a tree and then peg it out both methods gives you a lot more room on the inside and no fear of knocking down the central pole ( I can squirm around sometimes when i sleep) :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
the first time i pitched mine up at our Swift valley meet, I thought a mod was needed and cut 6 tree branches and put it up tipi style worked a treat.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Am liking the idea of the para cord additions to the button and peg holes, I've just ordered an ipk sheet to use as a groundsheet so might put the para cord which comes with this kit to good use!

PS: good to see there's lots of love for the lavvu on this forum, can't wait to use mine.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I use 4 of the old expanding washing poles on mine on the inside and I find I get a lot more room

Like these? link If so, how do you find the tension on the fabric? Is it as good as the vertical pole? I'm a little over 6'2" so found I'd have to sleep curled up to sty dry and it's not overly comfortable as most kip mats are straight - doing away with the central pole would be a big bonus.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Like these? link If so, how do you find the tension on the fabric? Is it as good as the vertical pole? I'm a little over 6'2" so found I'd have to sleep curled up to sty dry and it's not overly comfortable as most kip mats are straight - doing away with the central pole would be a big bonus.

Because they are adjustable, its a matter of trial and error to get it spot-on. However, once done, mark the poles an it'll be perfect first time.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
The poles that are similar are these :http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8503413.htm

I just tied them at the top with a simple clove hitch knot and lashings because they expand you can set them to the height you need and just place them on the walls in four opposite corners and peg all the loops out.

For the tie method I have used paracord and even our new issue string with has has a breaking strain of only 220lbs and I find that better as it grips better to the fabric I just loop and lash tight and then string it up. When pegging it out you need to have good strong pegs and make sure they are stable then I do a final tightening of the rope up to get the full height and width I can.

Hope that helps with the questions. If you do a search on the Polish Lavvu on here you should find a lot of your questions answered and even a few pictures of it as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE