Advice wanted for friction fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,
One of my goals over the last few trips has been to try to improve my fire husbandry. Still not spectacular as I tend to get impatient and not do the proper preparation. Still need to work on it. Anyway, I've also determined I want to try more primitive fire techniques. I think a HBC flint and steel kit is in my future, but I would also like to make and practice with a bow drill. Here in Newfoundland, the types of trees available are pretty limited. We have mostly Spruce, Balsam Fir, and Paper birch. We also have a little red pine, maple, and pin cherry, but not much.

So, out of spruce, fir, and birch, what do you recommend trying for a spindle and board?

Thanks
H

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
You want a soft hardwood. Something that you can make a slight indent with your finger nail. Try all three, let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Ammo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, you can use one of the upward bent branches at the bottom of the fir for your bow; spruce root cordage for your string.
Birch bark to catch the coal, split fir for the hearth board and try the birch for the spindle......I usually use hazel on pine, so you're in the right ballpark.

I use a short bow and a spindle no thicker than my thumb, I can't be doing with this big long stave like thing and a spindle the thickness of a brush shaft.

Each to their own though.

It's fun practising firebow :D

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE