Advice sought re lightweight 2man tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have spent ages on the web studying and comparing various models of the above , but it is difficult to visualise how they compare size and quality wise, so I thought I would ask on here if anyone can offer first hand experience of any models.
I do not want to go over the top pricewise but do not want to get fobbed of with something that will not stand up to bad weather or adverse weather conditions, I have a Saunders Jet-Packer and a Vaudy Hogan both of which are o.k. I now find the jet packer too
limited for space as I intend to take my dog along. The Hogan is pale blue in colour so is a bit bright for wild camping.
I know that choice is a very individual thing, and it will finally be up to me to choose. I have been narrowing down to the following Tundra 2 Vango Banshee 2 Aspect 2 Quechuat 2 and
finally the Marmot Grid 2 The Grid 2 Gets my vote at the moment but it is a bit expensive, Still you get what you pay for and It gets good write ups Any help welcome.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi. Do I take it that the tent will only have you and the dog in?
What kind of dog do you have, what sized pack will come into the tent with you, are you carrying the tent, or taking it by car, how long will you spend in the tent each day, and how many days at a time will you be using the tent?
Last but not least, what time(s) of year will you be using the tent, and in what conditions, plus what price ranges are you considering?

If you can provide some of the above answers it will help in selecting a tent. Already, I have tents in mind from £19.99 to £450! i think you may wish to narrow that down a bit :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have a Vango Helium (allegedly 2 man, though really somewhere between a solo and a normal sized two man tent)) that weighs 1.5kg. They also do a slightly bigger version. I'm impressed enough to use it in mountain country. Although it comes from Vango's premium 'F10' range, I note that the cheaper Vango tents have still had good reviews in Trail Walker.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Ol Smokey,
You won't find a better value/quality tent than the VauDe in that price range. I suppose that depends on the condition of your Hogan but if it's in good order I see no reason for you to buy new. If you're planning to take a dog though, I'd recommend something to prevent his claws from ripping the groundsheet.

My bug-bear with lightweight tents is the lightweight groundsheet scam for which you must carry a protective footprint or such like. This started out catering for a misguided lightweight mentality but the reality was a lowering of quality until someone eventually twigged that they could screw punters for another £30-40 for an extra, decent groundsheet. Kinna turns the "lightweight" nonsense on its head, eh?

The tent repairers, Scottish Mountain Gear http://www.imagescotland.com/scottishmountaingear-home.asp in Musselburgh will carry out any repairs or reconditioning at very reasonable prices. I had them fit a new groundsheet last year to my trusty old lightweight Force Ten for £60, and that included replacement bungees.

I have a VauDe Taurus I but usually opt for my Force Ten. The Force Ten was bought in the mid 80's and looks as though it has another 20 years left in it.
It'll see the end of my dancin days!

Cheers.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've just got a vango banshee 2, not tried it out or put it up yet, if i can help tell me what you want to know.

Rob

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
banshee 200 should do one man and his dog, its very lightweight and goes up easily too.
as for it being two man? well lets just say if me and Calibanzwei are out in this thing its going to be all trains, planes and automobiles come morning
"where's your hand?"
"between two pillows"

ensue hilarity...
however it is a rather nice tent, don't believe anything they say about it having a porch area for storage, honestly there isn't enough room there to store anything except perhaps a solitary boot.

dispite this its a cracking tent, its low key and well vented.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Been having a similar problem myself.

The only thing I would say is go have a look at them up.

It always pays to see a tent first.

Vango do seem to have a large range of 2 and 3 man hiking tents, that all look very similar. They even have a few models you can only buy at certain places like Blacks.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Melonfish.

Please take this in good humour, but your earlier reply gave me a good chuckle

You said:

banshee 200 should do one man and his dog, its very lightweight and goes up easily too.
as for it being two man? well lets just say if me and Calibanzwei are out in this thing its going to be all trains, planes and automobiles come morning
"where's your hand?"
"between two pillows"

ensue hilarity...
however it is a rather nice tent, don't believe anything they say about it having a porch area for storage, honestly there isn't enough room there to store anything except perhaps a solitary boot.

dispite this its a cracking tent, its low key and well vented.

So, if we start with the fact the banshee is not very lightweight at all for a modern tent. You then say it has no porch area (useful to have for one man and his dog), it is cramped inside (not good for one man and his dog), and is is also worth mentioning the lack of usable head room over most of the tent (not good for one man and his dog), the door is also not the best for getting dogs in and out of if they are at the back of the tent.

But you still recommend it lol.....Do you have something against the OP? :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I have spent ages on the web studying and comparing various models of the above , but it is difficult to visualise how they compare size and quality wise, so I thought I would ask on here if anyone can offer first hand experience of any models.
I do not want to go over the top pricewise but do not want to get fobbed of with something that will not stand up to bad weather or adverse weather conditions, I have a Saunders Jet-Packer and a Vaudy Hogan both of which are o.k. I now find the jet packer too
limited for space as I intend to take my dog along. The Hogan is pale blue in colour so is a bit bright for wild camping.
I know that choice is a very individual thing, and it will finally be up to me to choose. I have been narrowing down to the following Tundra 2 Vango Banshee 2 Aspect 2 Quechuat 2 and
finally the Marmot Grid 2 The Grid 2 Gets my vote at the moment but it is a bit expensive, Still you get what you pay for and It gets good write ups Any help welcome.

OS,

have a look at this tent mate, just my twopenneth. Lightweight, good quality ingredients. I've had one a few years now and can't really fault it.
http://www.lightwave.uk.com/en/tent_t1trek.php

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This was asked a little while ago and I bookmarked this one which was recommended at that time (don't know if it is any good or not):
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/product.php?id=52

I use that one quite a bit, it's good for length but I don't know about getting a dog in it. I certainly wouldn't consider letting either of mine in, they'd rip the groundsheet to shreds.

I've had a Vango 350 (or something like that -- can't remember the exact number) for about 12 years and I really like it for two person camping. It's a tunnel tent, sleeps three at a pinch (had to when it turned out there were no hotels in Albacete for the British Superbike one year). The thing about the tunnel tent design that makes me suggest it for one man and his dog is that about half of it could be used without a groundsheet for the dog, while master sleeps in the other part. Just a thought.

Another thought: if I were taking my dogs camping, not that I'd be up for that sort of excitement, they'd think themselves very lucky if they just got a tarp. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE