Advice Please on some new Kit

S

shaunmcdonald

I have been looking at getting myself some new gear but am unsure really which direction to go in so am hopeing that some of you fine people will be able to offer some advice as im sure the stuff im looking at some of you will have :)
Because we do alot of familly car camping all the kit we have already, is not the most compact or lightwieght stuff as you can imagine so this new gear will be just for my use on wild camping / bushcraft trips and if the familly are joining me well thats a different story.

Sleeping Bags
One of the biggest problems :(
I know there are Nanok Endurance -10 Sleeping Bag's at http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk for £40 and having read all the posts by people about them think they are a good bag but it looks like they are a bulky bag when packed.
As i was in Decathlon earlier today i was looking at some of there lightwieght hiking bags and the pack size was really small but the one i saw was only rated at 10oC so thought that might not be enough. But then i noticed an outer bag and i thought mmmmm that and that might be enough. Is trying todo it like this a bad way? as then i have summer and winter options ?

A few questions
Do you have summer and winter bags ??
Do you have a sleep system i.e Bag, Outer Bag, Liner ?
Are you ever too warm ?

Cooking stove
Again an area where there are a few choices. I know alot of you use trangia cooksets and i have been looking at the swedish army ones as i think they would do me. The costs are good from Outdoorcode

Any other suggestions or advice regarding cookers ?

Other kit
I already have a Hammock and insectnet and a decathlon Tarp which would do me i think, but as it is not really all that good quality i am thinking about a Tatonka polycotton tarp as these always have good reports.

Is a 3mx3m Tarp big enough for me and how much difference is there in packed size/wieght between a 3mx3m and a 3mx4m ?

I would like to end up with all the kit i would need for a few nights out in the woods that is not too heavy or bulky.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
You are at the top of a slippery slope my friend!! :)

I dont think there is a one size fits all answer to this.

For example I have different kit i use in the winter than the summer which includes different sleeping bags tents etc

Different kit depending on mode of travel ie car or long distances on foot where weight and size are important.

Different kit depending on how many people are on trip ie 1 person cook set right up to large group gas burner

And of course this all interchanges depending on my mood, what I want to try out, gravitational pull of the earth etc!!!

My general advice (for what its worth!)
Tent - decide when and where you will use it most - will you be on yor own and carrying it or is a large tent that can be car carried better. The balance between size and weight is an ongoing challenge for all tent makers. Also will you want a fire in it or near it etc.

Tarp - If you are in a wood a hammock and tarp may be better as it can be hard to find flat ground to pitch a tent on. 3x3 is fine 3x4 gives more shelter but weighs more. There are some good photos on this old group buy thread showing the difference between cotton and poly compared to something everyone recognises: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13644&highlight=tatonka

Sleeping Bag - where and when will it be used - you dont need a bag that will keep you warm at -10 if you are only camping spring to autumn in this country, is it likely to get wet and is pack size important? the down vs man made filling dilema!!

Stove - I have tried lots keep going back to the trangia with a gas conversion kit - can be carried solo but will just as easily cater for 4.

There are loads of reviews on this site and it really comes down to personal taste and buget. I imagine everyone elses advice will differ though!

Hope that helps

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I used a tatonka the other weekend. The build quality was great and it was a doddle to use also it was very light compared to my DD tarp. Saying all that i didnt like it ( s*orry EdS) as it was lighter in colour than my DD so in the morning it let more light in and it woke me up at about 5 am, that did not happen the night after when i was under my DD.
SWMBO and I used both our set up and the Tatonka and we both suffered the same problem as we swopped systems to test them out with a future purchase in mind.
So if you are carrying it and dont mind the extra light in the morning then go with the tatonka as it had more options but it is more expensive than the DD. Having used one i would not swop my DD for one.
In the end a tarp is a tarp it goes over your head and keeps you dry (hopefully) so if there is nothing wrong with the Decathlon one stick with it. I will be getting one in the next week or so as a back up / living space for when we both go away.

Hope this helps.

Cheers again Eds

S

shaunmcdonald

Thanks for the replies guys i am still looking for a decent sleeping bag but to be honest there doesnt seem to be an all situation solution :(

Ah!....the never ending question!

I agree with Aliwren - it really is horses for courses, although you've come to the right place and asked the right question IMO.

Car camping is great because you can bring the kitchen sink if you want - whatever makes you comfortable. Solo, on foot, wild camping - you've entered a whole new ballgame, where everyone is striving for the perfect set up re comfort versus weight...oh and cost!

To answer your questions: I have one bag a snugpack softie 9 rated to -5 (absolute low of -10). I can use it like a loose quilt in warmer weather and I have a silk liner for colder weather (I tend to sweat like mad with synthetics next to my skin). If it's really warm I will just use the silk inner. The whole lot compresses pretty small (10"x8"?) although it's still the largest thing in my pack.

Cook gear - I currently use a 14" Zebra billy which contains an ultralight Bushbuddy wood burning camp stove - which I bought in Canada and a Clikstand + trangia burner. The billy will also pack in 48 hrs worth of boil in the bag meals. Along with this I have a SS mini wok for frying (if I cheat and nip in for sausages!) this also doubles as my main plate/ washbowl etc. + a 1 ltr trangia fuel bottle. A 12" billy would suffice for all of this and Wayland has produced a lovely individual set up with the 10" billy. I do like to be prepared to offer hospitality - even if it's the offer of a brew and besides - I have space for the 14" so it's now my main billy. For water I have 2x3 litre Camelbak bladders (usually only take one) which fit into the pack

I think you've done yourself a huge favour in going down the Tarp/ Hammock route for solo use (although others may disagree - horses for courses), I can't think of anything else that reduces weight/ size - but actually increases comfort. A 3m X 3m tarp should be palatial for your needs - it's not so much size but how you pitch it that matters - especially in wet/ windy weather - research and practise tying adjustable slip knots and there's no such thing as too much cordage!

Lastly, Tony has produced a pretty comprehensive 'top tips" sticky in the Bushcraft Chatter forum and I would stick to those principles.

Good luck with your kit choices - experience will guide you and it 's a never ending (and sometimes expensive) quest. I look forward to reading about and learning from your experiences.

P.S.

Some links:
http://bushbuddy.ca/
http://www.snugpak.com/30_codegreen/31_03_softie9hawk.htm
http://www.clikstand.com/

I use a Nanok "0" endurance sleeping bag for summer. I used to use a Softie sleeping bag, but it felt like i was in a straght jacket. The nanok has a lot more room, but of course takes up a lot more room in the pack. I am, however, prepared to put up with this for a more comfortable night's sleep. I almost always use a bivi bag if I'm sleping under a tarp. to cook with, I have a Primus Omnifuel, which I run on Unleaded petrol (BP Ultimate unleaded gives hardly any soot or residue) I like the controlability of the omnifuel burner, and I can easily use a gas canister if I need to, though I will light a fire wherever I am allowed to do so. My billy can is an old stainless steel sugar canister I bought from TKMax for 99p. I have 2 tarps, 1 is an Aussie Hoochie which is fine for solo use, and the other is a 3 x 3 DPM basha I got from USMC. usually I just use the Hoochie. I don't use a hammok at all, just sleeping on a Thermarest inside the Bivi bag.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
I use a Marmott hydrogen (-1) sleeping bag in spring summer and autumn, but was thinking on the nanok -10 for winter too but was also afraid of pack size, but u just cant escape the warmth to pack size ratio problem.

Tent wise I use a Hilberg Akto, tiny, light, quick and easy to put up and full 4 season.. but nearly £290 when i got mine.
Now use a thermarest in a bivvi but started getting into hammocks now so will see how long the tent thing lasts (damn elusive flat ground!)

I dont take a gas stove anymore, but might on long expeditions just for backup, its a Pocket Rocket, tiny but works well.

Trying to get back to nature to curb all this gear buying, hence the bivvi and no stove, its less to carry and just feels more natural.

I saw an episode of Ray where he builds a long fire by his shelter and says it will keep him warm down to -50 without sleeping bag!! so food for thought!?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nanok bags are ok but don't take much notice of the -10 tag. You'll shiver once the temp starts to get near freezing, let alone below it. I'd say it's a 3 season bag at most. I never use mine in winter cuz it's just not up to the task (unless your sleeping fully clothed). OK up to autumn however. and £40 isn't too bad a price

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Other kit
I already have a Hammock and insectnet and a decathlon Tarp which would do me i think, but as it is not really all that good quality i am thinking about a Tatonka polycotton tarp as these always have good reports.

Is a 3mx3m Tarp big enough for me and how much difference is there in packed size/wieght between a 3mx3m and a 3mx4m ?

I would like to end up with all the kit i would need for a few nights out in the woods that is not too heavy or bulky.

I think the decathlon tarp is 3mx3m so best person to judge if a 3x3 is big enough for you is you after a few uses of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE