Advice on what to beg/buy/acquire for Leather work

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi all

I am very keen to have a go at the wonderful craft that is leather work and was looking for advice on an introductory kit list that I can put together. There are a bewildering amount of tools and I haven't been able to get a good handle on what I need to start.

I want to be able to start making belts, pouches, multi-tool pouches, etc.

If anyone has any old leather type tools/stuff lying around that they may want to give, sell, swap then please let me know!! :)

Also does anyone run any courses on said craft?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Craeg;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Here's what I got from LePrevo to start with, unfortunately they were out of bottles of skill when I asked ;)

T47 overstich wheel 6 £4.30
T45 stitch groover - adj £5.80
T46 edge bevellers no 2 £4.22

T11 awl blade 2" £1.97 x 2
T63 saddlers awl handle £1.02
T26 saddlers needles 2 £1.13
TR14 Linen 18/3 brown 50 gm £3.59
C10 Beeswax 30 g £0.60

C09 Leather Dye 4 oz black £2.52
C09 Leather Dye 4 oz dark brown £2.52
C12 Carnauba Cream 4 oz £2.20

028 Shoulders 3 - 3½ £3.97/sqft

Would I change anything?

dump the carnauba cream, it gives a little too shiny a finish as is fashionable.. :cool:
maybe get mid brown dye rather than dark brown you can always put 2 coats on
maybe get slightly thicker thread, but maybe not
get more beeswax for waxing stuff

Cheers,

Alan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi Chainsaw

Nice one mate, really appreciate the list. Birthday soon so I now have a list for SWMBO as I am the hardest man in the world to buy for :lmao:

Cheers
Craeg;)

To start working with leather, you don't need much. Some leather definitely, but it doesn't have to be shoulder (expensive). You can start with european buffalo, or belly( a lot cheaper, but still very good).

For tools, you need something to make small holes (awl) and you can make one from a sharpened nail banged into a piece of branch wood. Some needles (harness needles are blunt, and best for general leather sewing. The awl makes the hole so the needle doesn't have to be sharp.) Some linen thread or artificial sinew - or you could start with a reel of bonded polyester sewing thread, doubled and run through a block of beeswax.

You'll need a pair of pliers (to help pull the needle through tight holes), some scissors to cut the thread, a sharp knife to cut the leather (a Stanley knife will do) and not much else.

Gather the above, and once you've had a play and made some stuff, then you can think about dyes and edge bevellers and all the little extras that you don't really need, but make life easier and give the product a better finish.

Best of all, ask questions on here when you get stuck. There's plenty of us here - one of us will know the answer, and remember, there's no such thing as a daft question.

Eric

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Best of all, ask questions on here when you get stuck. There's plenty of us here - one of us will know the answer, and remember, there's no such thing as a daft question.

Best advice yet, some cracking tutorials on this site in the articles section and also on british blades in the tutorials and how to's section and browsing some of the work here is inspirational.

Cheers,

Alan

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Yep, the tutorials are a BIG help to getting started although not all of the methods are recommended, like drilling holes with a pillar drill rather than using an awl!

Another great book for reference is the Al Grohlman book on making sheaths, boxes and all sorts else. Le Prevo sell that one too although to start out with you won't need it for sheath making.

I started maybe 5 months ago or thereabouts, it certainly is addictive and I keep setting my sights higher both in terms of finish and complexity.

I quite like a carnuba wax finish, although not the bushcraft trendy finish most people are after it certainly does a very good job of making any items splash proof. The practicality of that wins me over.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Yep, the tutorials are a BIG help to getting started although not all of the methods are recommended, like drilling holes with a pillar drill rather than using an awl!

Another great book for reference is the Al Grohlman book on making sheaths, boxes and all sorts else. Le Prevo sell that one too although to start out with you won't need it for sheath making.

I started maybe 5 months ago or thereabouts, it certainly is addictive and I keep setting my sights higher both in terms of finish and complexity.

I quite like a carnuba wax finish, although not the bushcraft trendy finish most people are after it certainly does a very good job of making any items splash proof. The practicality of that wins me over.

Thanks Mick
I will check out this book too :) Any chance you post some pics of your leathercraft projects?

Cheers
Craeg;)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Sure, here goes;

laplander-brown.jpg
leftie_sheath.jpg
maglite-brown.jpg
trio_belts.jpg
sheath1.JPG

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Very cool Mick and inspirational too ;)

I look forward to getting my stuff from Le Prevo; sheath for Frosts carving/hook/draw knifes and a couple of belts.

Cheers
Craeg

It's a good hobby, for real inspiration I like to look at the work of TopKnot, Eric Methven, Dougster & Rancid Badger to name just a few, there really are quite a few inspirational folk between the various forums.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE