Advice on rainwear please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepforest2501

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2007
Northern Ireland
I'm looking to buy a new rainjacket. I've been looking at the Keela Munro and the Paramo Alta Jacket.
I think the Munro might be a bit short in length but looks like a good alternative to gore tex.
If you own one could I get an opinion please?

I'm aware that Paramo has a big fan base and Keela is popular with mountain rescue teams but really the test is in the owning and am looking for a coat that wears well in the woods.

Advice please.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi, I've a few items of Paramo and used the Keela Munro jacket when issued to the MR team I was a member of. The Paramo Alta I have is an excellent bit of kit, especially in the winter BUT I find it too warm in the summer. The Munro jacket has taken a bit of a hammering on various call outs in all weathers and as a general all year round jacket I would probably go for the Munro. IMHO it works a little better as part of a layering system in the warmer weather.

Dave

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Paramo has big followers and big detractors. The Keela gets very good press and no detractors. Another idea : Ridgeline Roar is very tough, long, dark green or khaki, waterproof, fairy breathable, and can be had for c.£120, very suitable for the woods, so maybe that's another one to consider

NS

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If you're looking for a general purpose jacket you could also look at the Paramo Velez Light, mine gets worn pretty much daily. Paramo is useful from the point of view that if you do rip it it can be sewn up with little/no effect on its function, it does come in green as well and it's fairly silent to walk in. On the other hand I wouldn't wear mine around fire and generally throw on older gear or my swanni if it in the woods as I'm not worried about trashing it.

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I will second that for the Paramo Velez smock a very good waterproof, soft to the touch and lightweight with plenty of ventilation options,they also do it in a nice olive drab colour only down side is that it is cut quite short so does need to be worn with waterproof trousers in heavy rain.
I have had mine for 2 years with no signs of wear yet and very simple to reproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE