Advice on poaching laws in the uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
I did , the reply came back today which is basicly no, The british waters people employ a eco warrior person whos job it is to survey the bank sides and decided which and what stays and goes, so after a very nice chat with the person we came to the agrement that yes rabbits can be hunted but only when and where they are classed as damage causing vermin only and when they are they call in a pest control firm, as for the other pest of crawfish they are free to anyone who wants them just help your selves, the canadia geese question was also asked, the answer was a big no the reason was that we could not find a meathod of capture or killing that did not involve shotguns and as such the risks were to great.

as for the issue of poaching illegaly , we also spoke the answers there was anyone caught would be prosicuted but that means police and the clown prossicusion service which will start another thread of arguments from british red, as for her personal opinion she like most of the british water ways staff are bunnie huggers unless they are under mining a bankside

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
"87. If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it."
Skippy's List

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
A little more info on the canals for you thanks to my uncle who works for BW. :)

BW own the water.

Most of the towpaths are put down on council land but BW and the local council have come up with an agreement of sorts.
Some towpaths and all canalsides (except those in a public residential area which are property of the council) Will be privately owned.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
prossicusion service which will start another thread of arguments from british red, as for her personal opinion she like most of the british water ways staff are bunnie huggers unless they are under mining a bankside

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yes of course Pete

She is a he

Who first got a section 1 FAC more than three decades ago and has been hunting ever since with rifles, airguns, shotguns, traps, nets and sundry other ways.

You want to know whats legal. The short answer is "everything is legal unless a law prevents it", so to know what is legal, you have to know what is specifically prohibited by law (illegal). If you don't want to know whats against the law, no-one can help you as there is no reference to tell you what you can do, only what you can't.

By the way the advice that
as for the other pest of crawfish they are free to anyone who wants them just help your selves
is also incorrect.

However, as you don't want advice on specific laws and what they do cover, I'll leave you to take your chances

Red

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
no that was not a typo error they are the clown prossicution service, I also see that british red is back on his soap box again, be carefull mate thats pretty high up thier, ha ha ha,

the lady was telling me that it is standard practise to chop most trees back if they are within 2 metres of the canal bank but most of the rest is left as a natural wild life avenue, standard to keep trees trimmed but not to harvest as a product which i thought was strange, bit of a missed opportunity myself .

as for british red and his usual soap box dribble as ever wrong end of the stick, so i will try again to get the message over, I am not allowed to hunt bunnies on the canal bank side, ( it does not belong to the council where i am , dont know about the rest ) any form of pest has to be removed via a pest control company , which counts me out which is a shame realy but thats the way it goes, the geese are a no no unless they land in my garden and commit suicide them selves or i get someone else to run them over with a car but i have to be quick to collect them neither of which i can see happening, the crawfish are on a help your self policy at british water ways aslong as you only collect american signal and none of the english, she has evan suggested a few spots out of brum that are completly infestted and thay have an active trapping policy going,

lastly british red you realy are a one at times , i love the way you try a shout people down throwing your wieght around and showing every one how one can urinate up wards, very impressive. I have also been hunting for over 30 years and i also used to have a selection of fire arms in class 1,4,and 7, i am also militry trained and can do wonderfull things with rounds over and above 7.62 upto 20mm I have shot most forms of game up to and including HUMANS ( the army is good like that) neither of which has any thing to do with a simple question that i asked about what is legal or not , I wanted the question answered before i committed a crime not after wards, I realy do not like the bully boy thuggery that you imposed on me or the others having a simple conversation, I suggest that next time you try connecting the brain rather than the mouth next time you try to answer someones question.

love lots hedgerow xxxxx

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
Just to put my view forward.
The term poaching means the illegal taking of game or other creatures not belonging to you or which you do not have permission to take from the owner.So basically if you don't own it or have the permission of those who do ,then you can't take them.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Crayfish - American signal are only legal to take if:

1) trapping - you hold and EA permit to do so and land owners permission. It is getting very difficult to get a permit due to pockets of native crayfish and the inceasing spread of otters.

2) rod and line - with rod licence and permission to "fish" there. Remember a lot of canal fishing is in essence private

Plus would you want to eat something that dines on the detritus of West Midlands canal?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You might be better off with forgetting about dealing with British Waterways, council, whatever and concentrating on the landowners t'other side of the hedge. I'll bet you'll get more sense out of them and will be able to talk face to face.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE