Advice on Oslo in December

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Hi

Just a quick one, as the flights are really cheap to Oslo I've been looking at going to Norway for a short break.
I would like to just fly in to Oslo then get a train north to Maridalsvannet then walking north and wild camping along the way.

A few questions:
  • what will the weather be like
  • is there any laws against fishing or forgaging or wild camping
  • what advice can you give me
Thanks in advance

Dunk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cant offer any advice, other than to suggest searching threads, but it sounds like a great idea, I've toyed with myself. They stopped the ferry from Newcastle to Bergans a few years ago, but there's been talk of it being ressurected. Take plenty of photo's. :hatscarf:

http://www.visitnorway.com/en_old

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I was speaking to some Norwegian colleagues, they recommended the boat to the lofoten islands. Hurtigruten I believe it's called.

I planned on flying to Stavanger, getting a connection to the lofoten islands. Then getting the hurtigruten back to Bergen. Doing a bit of trekking and sight seeing there and then getting the train to Oslo, day or two there then fly home.

Hoping to do it next spring.
Andy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Flights to Norway with Norwegian are silly low prices at the moment. Heathrow-Alesund is £100 return and a direct flight. Direct flights too to Trondheim for not much more.

Expect snowcover and low temperatures, I'd pack for a Scottish winter trip.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Thanks for the info so far guys!
I don't really intend on travelling for long distances, just finding a nice spot, setting up camp and fishing for a fews days.
Is ther any special equiptment i should think about taking? I'm well schooled in winter scottish highland camping.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hi

Just a quick one, as the flights are really cheap to Oslo I've been looking at going to Norway for a short break.
I would like to just fly in to Oslo then get a train north to Maridalsvannet then walking north and wild camping along the way.

A few questions:
  • what will the weather be like
  • is there any laws against fishing or forgaging or wild camping
  • what advice can you give me
Thanks in advance

Dunk

It's going to be very cold.

Remember most of the weather forecast temps are taken from round civillisation.

When I went with the lads - 2 turned out to be -15 in the night.

Best bit of kit you can take is a Buffalo Shirt.

You need to have a look into The Every Mans Rights law. It covers everything you need to know about wild camping and foraging.

Advice - Buffalo Shirt, Fire Biscuits, Give contacts back home an itinery and have a great time.

Sorry just clocked that about Scottish Winter Camping.

You should be fine mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE