Advice on new blade wanted

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Does it spring back into position or does it just bend??

Heat treating the tang will result in messing about with the HT of the knife. So you'd have to re-do the whole thing.

If it just bends then I would recommend doing the brass rod test on the blade itself. particularly if it bends near the blade. http://www.caffreyknives.net/testingart.htm
- if the edge chips or bends then I suggest sending the blade back.

If the tang springs back then just leave it alone as it is fine.

That said - it is not uncommon for the tang to be left very soft as it had no need to be hard.
Some times the first inch or so of the tang near the blade is hardened. But as said there is no need for it to be hard so as long as the blade is okay then it will be fine IMO.

As ever pictures would help.

All the best

Andy

Last edited:

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Maihkel sends blades to HT to a small specialized company near where he lives and weld the second part of the tang after he gets the blades back. The tangs have to be soft to absorbe stresses and, for my experience, on Maihkel's blades they bend and spring back.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as above if it springs back it should be fine, i HT the first half inch or so of my stick tang blades, this is so the HT line in not in direct line with any real pressure from battoning etc......

IMO this make the handle a little more robust, as it decreases the chance of it snaping......

just my thoughts....;)

regards..

chris.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Even if it does not spring back it will be fine just as long as the 1st couple of inchs spring back. Probably the 1st inch would do

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for the advice guys.
It does not spring back it is quite soft, I'll test it closer to the blade later next week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE