Advice on axe selection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
Hello everyone, as I am headed back to the states in a few months I have been looking into ordering some new kit to supplement what I already have from the past. While I have always enjoyed the outdoors I had never heard the term bushcraft until moving to Europe, while I have many tools that will serve such a purpose I am in need of a few.

When it comes to axes, my main use has been for splitting rounds for the fireplace at home and kindling in camp. As such I have always used a splitting maul, boys axe (70cm +/-) and a hatchet (40cm +/-). That said, from what I have seen in the bushcraft community people tend to select axes between 40-60cm. I realize the reason for a hatchet or boys axe size when considering your purchase but am a bit confused when it comes to mid sized axes such as the GB SFA at 50cm. I mean, the obvious reason is that it is smack dab in the middle so it becomes more of an all around tool. However, I have watched a lot of reviews and use videos and read a lot and this size just seems to be cumbersome in use. Is this a real concern or am I making a mountain of a molehill? My brain tells me that shorter stays (2-3 days) is where I would bring a hatchet and longer stays (1 week+) such as a camping/hunting trip is where I would bring an axe.

That brings me to my next set of questions. It would seem that 50cm axes are not overly popular as I have only seen them as specialty tools such as carpentry axes or higher end brands with a hefty price tag. Gransfors, wetterlings and Hults seem to make an axe in this range but they are all a bit pricey, not to mention often times difficult to locate as they are always sold out. Other popular manufactures seem to make their smaller boys style axes closer to the 60cm mark. Anyway, were I to go this route and obtain a 50cm axe is the quality difference between something like Gransfors and Hults really worth the price difference and the likely wait time?

One other thing I was curious to see if anyone knew was if the axes I am about to discuss are different or simply marketed under different names. If you look in the UK you can find the Hultafors Classic hunting axe, in Canada the Hultafors Bushcraft axe and in the states Hults Aneby(pronunciation?) hatchet but these all use the same picture and have the exact same specs.

Anyway, what I have been looking at is getting the Husquavarna general purpose axe and hatchet but supplementing that with a 50cm axe from one of the above companies if necessary. Well, I wouldn't say necessary as most of my activities are recreational but you get the point.:D

Thanks in advance for any insight you have to offer!

-Travis

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Personally, I think there is so much marketing hype on all manner of kit, and to me Bushcraft is, if you don't have the best kit, mostly about making the best of what kit you've got.

20 years ago I was given an old 1lb. hatchet head, with no maker's mark. I cleaned it up, gave it an edge and hafted it on a piece of oak about 65mm long. Since then I have been using it happily in camp and garden, to split logs into kindling, snedding branches and felling small trees, including cutting roots. This winter, having forgotten to keep the haft oiled, woodworm has gotten into it so I'm in mid-process of re-hafting with a nice 60mm piece of ash. I find the unusual length gives me as much power and swing as I need, and for hatchet duty I merely shift my grip to mid-haft.

Over the years I have acquired a felling axe and a log splitting maul which are useful for heavier work but for 9 out of 10 jobs the little axe is all I need.

What's in a name? I have half a mind to give mine a fancy Scandiwegian moniker like The Bjørnhæren Trollsplitter (possibly done in pokerwork runes), the only one of its kind, and beyond price.

My advice is to go minimalist. Look at those Bronze Age axes - they were rarely any great size, but they cleared great swathes out of the European rainforest
nonetheless. Get something light that will just tuck between cupped hand and armpit, and go unobtrusively on a rucksack.

Hello everyone, as I am headed back to the states in a few months I have been looking into ordering some new kit to supplement what I already have from the past. While I have always enjoyed the outdoors I had never heard the term bushcraft until moving to Europe, while I have many tools that will serve such a purpose I am in need of a few.

When it comes to axes, my main use has been for splitting rounds for the fireplace at home and kindling in camp. As such I have always used a splitting maul, boys axe (70cm +/-) and a hatchet (40cm +/-). That said, from what I have seen in the bushcraft community people tend to select axes between 40-60cm. I realize the reason for a hatchet or boys axe size when considering your purchase but am a bit confused when it comes to mid sized axes such as the GB SFA at 50cm. I mean, the obvious reason is that it is smack dab in the middle so it becomes more of an all around tool. However, I have watched a lot of reviews and use videos and read a lot and this size just seems to be cumbersome in use. Is this a real concern or am I making a mountain of a molehill? My brain tells me that shorter stays (2-3 days) is where I would bring a hatchet and longer stays (1 week+) such as a camping/hunting trip is where I would bring an axe.

That brings me to my next set of questions. It would seem that 50cm axes are not overly popular as I have only seen them as specialty tools such as carpentry axes or higher end brands with a hefty price tag. Gransfors, wetterlings and Hults seem to make an axe in this range but they are all a bit pricey, not to mention often times difficult to locate as they are always sold out. Other popular manufactures seem to make their smaller boys style axes closer to the 60cm mark. Anyway, were I to go this route and obtain a 50cm axe is the quality difference between something like Gransfors and Hults really worth the price difference and the likely wait time?

One other thing I was curious to see if anyone knew was if the axes I am about to discuss are different or simply marketed under different names. If you look in the UK you can find the Hultafors Classic hunting axe, in Canada the Hultafors Bushcraft axe and in the states Hults Aneby(pronunciation?) hatchet but these all use the same picture and have the exact same specs.

Anyway, what I have been looking at is getting the Husquavarna general purpose axe and hatchet but supplementing that with a 50cm axe from one of the above companies if necessary. Well, I wouldn't say necessary as most of my activities are recreational but you get the point.:D

Thanks in advance for any insight you have to offer!

-Travis

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I meant *cm*, not mm, before anyone takes the p*ss...

Personally, I think there is so much marketing hype on all manner of kit, and to me Bushcraft is, if you don't have the best kit, mostly about making the best of what kit you've got.

20 years ago I was given an old 1lb. hatchet head, with no maker's mark. I cleaned it up, gave it an edge and hafted it on a piece of oak about 65mm long. Since then I have been using it happily in camp and garden, to split logs into kindling, snedding branches and felling small trees, including cutting roots. This winter, having forgotten to keep the haft oiled, woodworm has gotten into it so I'm in mid-process of re-hafting with a nice 60mm piece of ash. I find the unusual length gives me as much power and swing as I need, and for hatchet duty I merely shift my grip to mid-haft.

Over the years I have acquired a felling axe and a log splitting maul which are useful for heavier work but for 9 out of 10 jobs the little axe is all I need.

What's in a name? I have half a mind to give mine a fancy Scandiwegian moniker like The Bjørnhæren Trollsplitter (possibly done in pokerwork runes), the only one of its kind, and beyond price.

My advice is to go minimalist. Look at those Bronze Age axes - they were rarely any great size, but they cleared great swathes out of the European rainforest
nonetheless. Get something light that will just tuck between cupped hand and armpit, and go unobtrusively on a rucksack.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain

Thank you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have, and have tried, various axes and hatchets but the one I use most is the GB SFA.
The size of this axe makes it a "Jack of all trades - master of none" but it's very versatility makes it a winner for me. I have used the SFA for everything from felling trees through splitting rounds to roughing out spoon blanks and making feathersticks - and the build quality is excellent!

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I have, and have tried, various axes and hatchets but the one I use most is the GB SFA.
The size of this axe makes it a "Jack of all trades - master of none" but it's very versatility makes it a winner for me. I have used the SFA for everything from felling trees through splitting rounds to roughing out spoon blanks and making feathersticks - and the build quality is excellent!

It seems that a lot of people like this axe, I was just curious because the sizing seemed odd to me. Kind of like a one knife option in the woods or using a 240mm Gyuto for everything in the kitchen, it is a wee bit cumbersome for me. My kitchen knife system is 5 knives for dedicated tasks. So I was just worried about shelling out the cash for something that I will hang on the wall and never use.

The quality of GB is well spoken on the net. Hults seems to get mostly good reviews as well but they seem to market what looks to be the same models under different names, so I would not know which way to go. As for GB and wetterlings, if I can find them when they are not sold out they are well above MSRP.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
GB SFA is a fantastic bit of kit, I've tried almost every type of axe popular the bushcraft community and a few others and I rate the SFA as the best and I've spent a fortune on cutting tools.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I'm a fan of the new type of husquvarna (sp?) small axe, made by hults bruk apparently, very good for its cost of about £35.

Tonyuk

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I'll push the boat out and say have a look at the STHIL forestry axe. You can get the bright orange one or go more pricey for a bushy look of the 1926 edition :)

Mines fantastic, absolutely love it :)

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
think i would stick with what you already have. between your boys axe and hatchet your good to go.for me its how you use it not what you use.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you are still looking for a smaller axe, I have found the Robin Wood axe to be very good value for money (£39 plus p&p). I have a GB Wildlife hatchet and a GB carpenters axe as well :)

Last edited:

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I'm a fan of the new type of husquvarna (sp?) small axe, made by hults bruk apparently, very good for its cost of about £35.

Tonyuk

I was looking at the 60cm and the 40cm models. The 50cm model is sold as a carpenters hatch but I was not sure to think about it as many people claim that the profile is a bit too flat for general purpose use. That said, reading the reviews reveals that there was a design change. Maybe it is better suited for all around use now.

Everyone, thank you for your suggestions. I have some name brands to look into that I have never heard of!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I got a GB SFA and was blown away by how well it cut, after having previously used only a Draper Hand Axe. The SFA is very packable, will fell and limb 6-8" trees when used in conjunction with a saw, and can be used with one hand for hewing projects from bows to spoons. Head shape is more for cutting than splitting, but it will split small rounds. As such it is a very good campers axe. It will handle all the jobs one might have on a camping/canoeing trip. One could argue that in boreal forest, in winter, you need a bigger axe and I would feel happier with something a bit longer and heavier for that since the size of wood needing processing goes up.

How tall you are might also play a part. I am about 5'8" and don't find it a problem to kneel down to use the SFA for felling, but someone taller might like a longer design.

I love that my GB is around the 58Rc point and can take an edge as sharp as a knife. If I was only interested in splitting and limbing I might not be so bothered and wouldn't see as much value in the harder head. The sharpness pays off for the crafting work and is something of a force multiplier for the short length of the SFA compared to some other brands.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I got a GB SFA and was blown away by how well it cut, after having previously used only a Draper Hand Axe. The SFA is very packable, will fell and limb 6-8" trees when used in conjunction with a saw, and can be used with one hand for hewing projects from bows to spoons. Head shape is more for cutting than splitting, but it will split small rounds. As such it is a very good campers axe. It will handle all the jobs one might have on a camping/canoeing trip. One could argue that in boreal forest, in winter, you need a bigger axe and I would feel happier with something a bit longer and heavier for that since the size of wood needing processing goes up.

How tall you are might also play a part. I am about 5'8" and don't find it a problem to kneel down to use the SFA for felling, but someone taller might like a longer design.

I love that my GB is around the 58Rc point and can take an edge as sharp as a knife. If I was only interested in splitting and limbing I might not be so bothered and wouldn't see as much value in the harder head. The sharpness pays off for the crafting work and is something of a force multiplier for the short length of the SFA compared to some other brands.

I am 5'8" as well but I am more interested in limbing and splitting than felling. I typically only take deadfall. Now, around the farm it is a different story but not when I am out camping. A little bit of crafting as well but for rough shaping. My carving is done with knives.

I guess one could say that I am a very task specific kind of guy that lugs a heavy bag of metal into the forest when I go out to play. Hook knife, small carving knife, packable draw knife, belt knife, folding knife, leatherman rebar, and machete. Just figured that adding an axe of some sort would round it out. Then again, I am on my own property or my grandfathers so it isn't like I have to hike three days in. :D

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I was looking at the 60cm and the 40cm models. The 50cm model is sold as a carpenters hatch but I was not sure to think about it as many people claim that the profile is a bit too flat for general purpose use. That said, reading the reviews reveals that there was a design change. Maybe it is better suited for all around use now.

Everyone, thank you for your suggestions. I have some name brands to look into that I have never heard of!

I think they still only sell the 50cm wooden handle axe as a carpenters model and it still appears to have a very flat shape to it. I got mine some time ago but just looked them up again on this site;

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqvarna-axes.html

The range has grown massively from the 2 original models i remember, either that or they're more available in the uk now. If 50cm would be a good size for yourself you could always buy the standard hatchet and re-handle with one 50cm long?

Tonyuk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This always ends up a personal thing but the GB Scandi forest axe is for me the best all-rounder. Similar weight to the head of the SFA but the extra handle length makes it much more efficient for most tasks. When choking up on carving what difference does a few inch on the handle length make? Except when it comes to limbing or processing firewood when the extra handle length is not only more efficient but safer.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
My small forest Axe is still my most used axe. Have the GB double but for felling and a wildlife hatchet too. I basically never use the wildlife as I think it needs a handle closer to the length of the small forest axe. The double bit is deadly for it's intended purpose though, a pure pleasure to use.

Having said that, I think the small forest axe needs a longer handle. I would like to try the scandi forest axe but just don't have the money for another at this time. The comments on your height make great sense. At 6'1" it should be a surprise to me that I generally feel axe handles are a little short.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Don't get me wrong. It's still great and I can't justify re-helving it when there is a perfectly functional one with excellent grain orientation on it.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
Hultafors Classic Hunter's os a geat choice as well in this range. Considerably cheaper than SFA too...

hulta_hunters-1a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE