Advice Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I keep thinking about getting one of those Argos 4-person teepees. Especially since they're now reduced to £45.
However.
Reading the reviews on the Argos website you can see decision is keenly split - it's a bit like Marmite: you either love it or hate it. Nothing inbetween.
So I wondered if anyone here had one and could give me their opinion.
The main use will be during Summer, no more than two or three nights sleep in it. Most criticism seems to hinge around the fact they let in water. Particularly where the ground sheet attaches to the main tent. Is this so? Will it stand up to a light shower? How easy would this be to remedy?
Any and all advice and detailed criticism gratefully appreciated.
Cheers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mixed reviews on these durulz, the the Vango Juno tipi is getting rave reviews over on song of the paddle.

The 4/5 person version is £65 and they do a sort of green colour if thats important to you. One of the canoe blokes took one up to Scotland and it withstood very high wind and rain.

http://www.thetentteam.co.uk/product/27786/vango-juno-tepee-500.html

I like the look of the big one, the 800

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=64825&Affiliate=Froogle

At £95 it looks to be a bargain. I've been humming and harring over what tent to get (I now need a walk in size) and think this will fit the bill and save me money over other options I'd thought about.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/goatboysnoopdog/Lochearnhead13th14thJune09#Hi there,

First off I can't comment on the Argos ones as have never seen on in the flesh. Though I did spot a while back someone trying to pass them off on ebay as swedish tipis at an inflated price.

We took a Vango Junno 300 on a trip to Loch Earn at the weekend and I ended up sleeping in it instead of my Hillieberg to test it.

Went up very easily, though I dispensed with the central pole to create more internal space, suspended it from an overhanging tree which also increased stability. Also didn't use the supplied pegs as they'd never have worked on the rocky beech, used some hardened "Y" section pegs instead. Had a pleasant night sleep despite the mutt and the fact that we also piled all the surplus gear in there too. It was a fairly still night and the tent didn't move. One niggle that may get to some is that the bottom of the door doesn't seal shut, the cenral zip comes down and the bottom is held in place by pegs.

Will try to get it again for worse conditions and let you know how it goes, there's a link to some pics of it up in the camp @ the top of the page.

Goatboy.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cotswolds have the Vango Juno 500 for £64. Since there's a Cotswolds just down the road from me I'll pop in and have a look at them.
Cheers for the comments so far.
But has anyone on here bought one from Argos? I could have sworn I saw some comments a while ago.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi,
I know a guy who got one from Argos,looked good but he took it when he was fishing and it poured down,which was OK until he unzip it to get in and it was full of water. Also trying to zip it shut the seams around the zipper started to rip. Not good in my mind........

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...this ability to let in loads of water seems to be an occurring criticism. Despite the fact that I'd only be using it in the Summer, it's not worth the hassle. I think this poor reception is probably why Argos are selling them off cheap. For just an extra £20 the Vango one seems like the best option - the groundsheet in that looks to be integral to the fly sheet rather than separate, as it is in the Argos one.
I'll pop into Costwolds to have a look to make sure and will probably go for that instead. I'll always be unsure about the Argos one, so it's not worth it.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I bought the Vango Juno 500 tepee. It was only £64 in Costwolds. First impressions are extremely favourable (which is why I bought it). Hasn't been used in anger yet - that's coming up in a few weeks. I'll post a review once I've used it.
The only thing I would say (and this is common to ALL tents) is that I'd take '4-person' with a pinch of salt. You'd have to know each other very well to get four in there. But, if sleeping space is all you want, then yes - it'll easily sleep 4, probably 6. But in reality, after you've put bags and other bits inside, it's absolutely ideal for 2 people. As I say, that's not a criticism of the Juno 500, EVERY tent manufacturer seems to take a bloody-minded attitude when it comes to capacity. I tend to halve the number they claim as a better guide. Anyway.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I just bought a Vango Juno 300 from Tiso for £50. Hopefully using it tomorrow.. Fingers crossed it does the job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE