Advice needed please- long-term survival diet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Gulf Stream passing the British Isles skirted the North American East coast, so I guess whatever they dump in the sea comes with the current.

There is a current going south from Barents Sea, and the Soviets dumped lots of radio active stuff there.

But, until fairly recently, Britain dumped huge amounts of trash into the North Sea, which ended up on the Nirwegian south coast and Swedish West coast......

The algae is a natural thing, but has been augmented by the excess nutrients we all put into the sea.

leon-1

I spend more than 6 months of my year living in the outdoors with my work. I work all year round. Ease yourself into this, don't just take the plunge. Although food is a worry health and hygiene can be a bigger problem.

Keeping yourself clean when the temperature is below zero and you either have to have a strip wash or a shower isn't a pleasant experience and leaves you open to a number of elements. It's also keeping your clothing and equipment clean as they don't work as well when they are wet and dirty. How many changes of clothing will you have, how much clothing do you actually require when it comes to the layers system and seasonal requirement? How are you going to dry clothing in winter?

Human waste, where will you dispose of it?

If you have a shelter how are you going to heat it in late autumn, winter, early spring and what will be the cost? How are you going to cook? What pans and cooking equipment do you have and is it easily manpackable? Where are you getting your firewood and will you be able to get it in large enough quantities? You can only do so much on an open fire.

How good is your first aid? As you are going to be alone there is a chance that you may have to deal with not just minor but some quite serious issues. Would you be prepared to push a hyperdermic needle through your cheek into your jaw to draw the puss out of an abscess before flushing it out with a sterilising solution?

Where are you getting your water from? It's of far higher priority than food. If you can get enough water how will you clarify and then sterilise it?

How good are you with your own company? What equipment will you take to keep you occupied, especially when it's winter?

Do you intend on taking technology and if so how do you intend on powering it?

These are just some of the factors that will effect you. Have you got legal and viable solutions to them?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thankfully it can not be the original poster!

Living off the land as a hunter/gatherer without a too bad impact on the area - how many people lived in all of Europe after the retreat of the ice?
50 000? More? Less?

Even they managed to kill off most of the mega fauna pretty quick....

80 pounds to buy food every mont?? Thats a lot of food you could by. No bother hunt or gather maybe?

In summer we live off the land, eat mostly fish & game. But I know no one up here who lives entirely on own caught food much anymore. We too like tea, coffee, sugar and vegetables and or fruit somewhat. On long trips we take store coffee, tea, flour, sugar and dried berries - you can buy them from your stores (raisins??) We make all we need from that. Bannock bread, bread with fruit, and so on. In winter we get most of the meat and fish we need from what we took in summer as we driy or smoke our meat and fish.

We can make labrador tea also out of snowberry which I've seen in the UK and also hemlockspruce, leaves, rasberry twigs and cherry twigs, which I also see in England. You must know these and more in the Uk and how to keep them all year. This is more important than finding place and where they grow.

Do you know much about food in the wild in UK? you have birch so you could collect sap. But do you know how to make sap into sugar to keep?

We have Bulrush, Aspen and basswood which I think I saw in UK my friend called it Lime tree. You get sap from and can eat leaves. Bullrush and Lilly have nice roots make good eating.

Up here another two months and we have first snow then freeze. You have much longer but time to prepare your food to keep you going is little time to do it. These things we must think about carefully be fore we go on long trips or stay in place we don't know very well.

My concern for your endevour is there isn't too much space in England to roam free and look and find best places to obtain sustinance as it appears all your land is private. I guess you can't shoot cattle, sheep & horses eh? And much of the land is given over to farms so no chance of finding wild food there. Mayb your police come looking?

We wish you well on your journey and hope you tell us how you are getting on.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You hunt summertime? In Europe we are only allowed to hunt (most) animals during a restricted time of the year, in the Fall. The offspring is born in the Spring and is deemed to be able to fend for itself by then in case somebody shoots the babymama.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
First Nations in Canada have traditional rights over what was once their lands.
I see them hunt and fish for what they need to keep the old ways alive.

West on Haida Gwaii, some is taught and practiced in the schools now.

Britain isn't a big place and it's packed full of people.
Very long history of land ownership and cultivation.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
First Nations in Canada have traditional rights over what was once their lands.
I see them hunt and fish for what they need to keep the old ways alive.

West on Haida Gwaii, some is taught and practiced in the schools now.

Britain isn't a big place and it's packed full of people.
Very long history of land ownership and cultivation.

Very long history of poaching and thieving too :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I remember those. We were shocked when we realized that milk was delivered to your front door ( we moved to UK in 1995). Throwback to our grandparents time!
Was a good service though. But it took us a bit of time to find a way to prevent birds damaging the foil cap.

I am happy it is coming back. Maybe one day the various European Postal services will go back to the old quality service too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE