Advice needed on PMR radios.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A few years back I bought a couple of Kenwood PMR's off ebay. They worked well, and I was pleased with them, until I tried to use them with other PMR radios...

Turns out they didn't have the right coding or some such, and while I could hear PMR radios, they couldn't hear me. Don't think it's something you are going to come across, but thought I'd mention it incase you get tempted by something on ebay...

J

The Kenwoods you have could in all likelihood be programmed (with the same programming cable and free software mentioned in this thread) to be bang on the PMR channels and correct CTCSS codes. If you could hear others, but they couldn't hear you, the chances are that you were just transmitting on one of the 8 main channels with no CTCSS code, but they had CTCSS coding switched on. Either that or your TX (transmit) and RX (receive) channels were programmed on different frequencies/CTCSS codes. Don't bin the radios! 20 minutes with a £3 cable will sort them....

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hello, sorry, I've only ever borrowed the cables myself! You may find that the radios come already pre-tuned to channels that work with each other, but quite what these channels are is anybodies guess - probably not the 446 channels, which means you could be interfering with someone else's legit (licenced) frequencies.

The longer antenna do help a little, but it is rather marginal to be honest. You can even get external mag mount antenna that come with a few meters of (cheap) coax cable already attached, but the power loss through the cable often seems to offset any gain you get from the antenna.

Yeah, I know that from my CB so I'm not that bothered with antennas.
If someone can spare that programming cable it would really make my day and week. 1-2Watts over the limit in the middle of nowhere is not much of an issue for me, but using licensed frequencies is a different story.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
But not legal to use without a licence as it doesn't comply with PMR rules:

Taken from the OFCOM website here

Well said that man, this is one of my pet hates on this forum, if I'd posted about bushcraft type unlawful activities on here the mods would be all over it like a bad rash. So please people stop advocating the use of PMR radios that have been modified or reprogrammed for use on PMR466 If you won't to use PMR466 then use the correct approved radios. They have limited RF power and small fixed antennas for a reason. If you won't more RF power than 500mW then get a CB radio then you have 4W, or sit the Foundation Amateur radio licence, it's not difficult, and then you would be able to use 10W all be it not on the PMR466 frequencies, but a lot more frequencies and use of repeaters to further you range and coverage on a small HT radio. If anyone would like help in getting a licence I am more than willing to offer help and advice on the subject as I hold a full licence and registered as an instructor.

Ok rant over, please play fair and observe the correct use of the frequencies and equipment used.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
It's all about the context and intentions. If I want to stick to the rules 100% I shouldn't carry my swiss knife with me in town and I shouldn't drive 73 miles an hour on the motorway even in the middle of nowhere 2am on the empty road in perfect conditions.

CB is not an option as I am not draging a half a kilo worth of equipement up the hill with those options and transmitting power.
I need a way of asking my girlfrien is she ok when she stays at the end of a group. Maybe a total of 5 minutes once a month. Should I:
1. Use proper CB equipement that is overkill and transmitt 100mileas away (top of the mountain) that I like her ears.
2. Use ebay or tesco PMR that burn through batteries, almost certainly don't stay in the frequency and won't really work above 1 mile so will be useless in emergency.
3. Use better class gear properly programmed to the right frequencies and tested by many to work properly in this band. The only "illegal" thing about them is that they put out 1,5W instad of 0,5W which means my range will be more like 3 miles insted of 2. But of course I should use CB radio with 20miles range (or maybe SSB with 100miles).

I was hoping to avoid this kind of conversation that pops out on almost every radio forum, common sense versus self-righteness. I honestly dare (can even give you my details) to call offcom, police and even mountain rescue and tell them there is a guy who is trying to use a radio in the mountains on the PMR band with an extra Watt of power. But please record your conversations for us....

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
BigMonster,

This thread prompted me to look for my BaoFeng programming cable, damned if I could find it, eventually found it a couple of minutes ago, bit too late as ZebbEDY had kindly offered his to you.

You may be aware of this already, if not then it may be of use, appears to be appropriate to your radios.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

rorymax

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
It's all about the context and intentions. If I want to stick to the rules 100% I shouldn't carry my swiss knife with me in town and I shouldn't drive 73 miles an hour on the motorway even in the middle of nowhere 2am on the empty road in perfect conditions.

CB is not an option as I am not draging a half a kilo worth of equipement up the hill with those options and transmitting power.
I need a way of asking my girlfrien is she ok when she stays at the end of a group. Maybe a total of 5 minutes once a month. Should I:
1. Use proper CB equipement that is overkill and transmitt 100mileas away (top of the mountain) that I like her ears.
2. Use ebay or tesco PMR that burn through batteries, almost certainly don't stay in the frequency and won't really work above 1 mile so will be useless in emergency.
3. Use better class gear properly programmed to the right frequencies and tested by many to work properly in this band. The only "illegal" thing about them is that they put out 1,5W instad of 0,5W which means my range will be more like 3 miles insted of 2. But of course I should use CB radio with 20miles range (or maybe SSB with 100miles).

I was hoping to avoid this kind of conversation that pops out on almost every radio forum, common sense versus self-righteness. I honestly dare (can even give you my details) to call offcom, police and even mountain rescue and tell them there is a guy who is trying to use a radio in the mountains on the PMR band with an extra Watt of power. But please record your conversations for us....

Thanks for your comments and sarcasm, but none of your points makes it any less unlawful. I will not take you up on your offer to call Ofcom as the Amateur bands are usually self-policing, unlike the unlicensed bands that unfortunately are full of people using bad language etc. (although I still have and use a CB radio as that’s how I got started in radio) You could of course use a hand held CB radio for the task you mentioned, but I know that a good radio, well two could set you back £400 so I know that is probably cost prohibited.

I have offered up my services and would gladly point you and your good lady in the right direction to your nearest radio club that hold examinations. (At some clubs this can all be done in a weekend) It would be better to pass the foundation exam for you both and have a licence for life, you would have many more radio options afforded to you and it’s a lot of fun. The exam is not expensive and not difficult at all and if you have used CB radio you already know how to set up a radio and antenna etc. so you are half way there already.

So if you would like any help then please let me know, I can even post you out the training manual that is used if you would like.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
BigMonster,

This thread prompted me to look for my BaoFeng programming cable, damned if I could find it, eventually found it a couple of minutes ago, bit too late as ZebbEDY had kindly offered his to you.

You may be aware of this already, if not then it may be of use, appears to be appropriate to your radios.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

rorymax

I'm already all set to go with software and drivers, and the cable from ZebbEDY is already in the post. I want to realy thank you for your suggestion as this option is so much better for my purpose in every way than cheapo set of walkie talkies. Luckyly I was smart enough to ask here before buying. Cant wait the post man on monday :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I'm already all set to go with software and drivers, and the cable from ZebbEDY is already in the post. I want to realy thank you for your suggestion as this option is so much better for my purpose in every way than cheapo set of walkie talkies. Luckyly I was smart enough to ask here before buying. Cant wait the post man on monday :)

I think you owe your thanks to The Lord Poncho for the radio suggestion, :)

I like his suggestion too.

Let us know how your new radios perform in use.

rorymax

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
"You" as you guys.

They were waiting for me at work this morning. Couldn't wait so programmed them on one of the computers. Worked first time on win7 with auto drivers and BF 480 software.
I am very, very impressed by the quality. It really doesn't sound anything like those standard walkie talkies. Strong clear modulation, this thing filters better than my car CB. I work in the middle of the retail park and it was so much fun to listen to all that chatter from different stores :)

Really awesome radio, good volume, solid channel selector and PTT button. This radio doeas only what you need without any fluff, but it does it very well. It's really what I was after.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I would say they are just the right size. There is a tesco near me and one of the girls have a wonderfull voice. And a building site that uses 449.3925 so I have both radion on my desk listening :)

I'm actually thinking about a proper scanner... These are so much fun!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As I said - its a slippery slope from now on! As you will know I'm sure, UHF is largely billed as being 'line of sight', but in the real world that isn't strictly true, and you can get some staggering ranges out of these things. Whatever happens, don't let me point you in the direction of a TYT TH-9000 !

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
O I have been there with my CB addiction. In Poland almost every car have one, so I started with a basic one and ended up with a full blown base station in my flat doing SSB around the continent :)

Exactly what my bank account need right now, another forum for me to join :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE