Advice needed - flattening nylon webbing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I've got some nylon webbing that I'm re-using on a project.

It has some kinks in it from it's previous role.

Any suggestions on how to flatten it out?

Normally I'd iron fabric, but am worried about damaging it - even if I started low and gradually increased the heat.

Thanks

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Iron it with a (damp?) Tea towel over the top?, i'm sure thats a thing..........here speaks a man that has never owned an iron so that suggestion is worth every penny of what you paid for it :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically it's nylon.

It's weave will have shaped a bit, so wriggle it around a lot, like trying to straighten up the grain in fabric.
Then try the damp teatowel and the iron on it…..set to Nylon.

Personally, I'd soak it in biological washing liquid (or Fairy) for a bit, get any residual gunk out of it first, rinse it thoroughly and see if it stretches back mostly into shape, but I have no qualms about leaving stuff soaking for a couple of days. Most folks aren't quite that patient, especially if they're geared up to get a job done and finished.

M

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks everyone. Advice appreciated

Some nylon fishing line develops a "memory" - i.e. it curves from being wound round the reel and I'm concerned this might be the same. We will see I guess.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE