Advice needed: DIY leather stamps!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
For my 30th last week my wonderful wife bought me a leather stitching set from Tandy Leather :D
I'm really excited to get started and have a number of projects lined up: MOD survival knife sheath, Hultafors large trekking axe mask, axe belt loop, a couple of pouches and a Svord Peasant sheath... (Should keep me busy for a while!)
Anyway, before I begin stitching, I really want to emboss the leather that I'll be using with a personal stamp.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to make some DIY leather stamps...

I think I'd be most interested in finding out how to make them in a similar way as the ones that Kerne designed and made on this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110485

Merry Christmas!
Will :theyareon

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Personally I use Beech for my custom stamps, and instead of cnc'ing them I just stick on the mirrored image I want with glue on the end grain and route it out.
Hope that helps,

Yours sincerely Ruud

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Personally I use Beech for my custom stamps, and instead of cnc'ing them I just stick on the mirrored image I want with glue on the end grain and route it out.

Surely it'd have to be an absolutely tiny router for that? Interesting idea though, how well does it work? :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
It works superb, and usually I use my University's "3 axis" bigrig router with a 2mm bit for the bigger stuff and a 0.8 mm bit for the tiny gaps, and finish off with a small precision blade.
But have done them completely with knife as well works well but takes allot of time to get right and if you have a big boy standing in the shop, why not use it right?
ps this is the kind of machine I use XD " http://blog.sterlingmachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/A1898.jpg " might be a bit overkill to use a 12k milling machine, but it does the job XD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE