Advice needed about knots in spoons.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
No ideas for filling in, but why don't you put in some more holes an use it as a "strainer spoon" for removing solids from liquids, like teabags from tea, pickles from jars, etc.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I have had a couple with knots in them not always the best thing either. but to fill it super glue or good 2 part epoxy I use the quick set stuff myself then sand it smooth

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
The best option in my opinion is to drill out the hole and to insert another piece of round wood hereby sealing the hole,
I would recommend a D3 Woodglue or another water resistant glue.
Yours sincerely Ruud

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I wouldn't recommend superglue, it isn't really waterproof.

I've seen people use sawdust mixed with Cascamite to fill small holes. That stuff really is waterproof but it sets sort of milky white so you might want to experiment for colour match.

Whatever you do is going to be different from the parent wood, and I wouldn't be surprised if it developed a split or something. You can fill splits with Cascamite too but it's knowing when to stop...

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Cheers for the replies. As the hole wasn't all the way through but more like an irregular dent on the back, my other half quite liked the added 'rustic charm' and persuaded me to leave it! So, I just made sure plenty of Danish oil got worked into it...
hope that does the job...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE