Advice: Antler scales for Viking Seax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
grainy? you mean the pith? If it's soft then either scrape it out and fill with epoxy/epoxy putty, or saturate with superglue to seal it up. If it's not too soft, then super glue to stiffen the structure and then glue as normal. Pay attention to sealing the ends where the epxy won't be sealing next to steel (just fill with super glue and/or epoxy to seal it up and stop muck getting in :)

Don't worry abut the questions mate. People often say that learning on your own and making up as you go along is the best way to learn; I whole heartedly disagree! I'm almost 100% self taught and it is the slowest, most expensive and most frustrating way thanks to the mistakes, miss purchases and bad habits that have to be re learned or worked out.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
grainy? you mean the pith? If it's soft then either scrape it out and fill with epoxy/epoxy putty, or saturate with superglue to seal it up. If it's not too soft, then super glue to stiffen the structure and then glue as normal. Pay attention to sealing the ends where the epxy won't be sealing next to steel (just fill with super glue and/or epoxy to seal it up and stop muck getting in :)

Don't worry abut the questions mate. People often say that learning on your own and making up as you go along is the best way to learn; I whole heartedly disagree! I'm almost 100% self taught and it is the slowest, most expensive and most frustrating way thanks to the mistakes, miss purchases and bad habits that have to be re learned or worked out.

Pith! that's the word, couldn't think of it at the time. It's still nice and hard so I'll seal it up with superglue as you say, and do the ends too. Just waiting on getting some things delivered, including a big sturdy table, so I can sort out my new woodworking shed and get some of my new machines bolted down properly and have some fun!

Dreadhead

I've been ignoring this blade for far too long! I've been ill all week and not wanted to touch leather, so thought i'd have a bash at this. I got a bunch of nice files and rasps from a kind member of this forum this week, so having the right tools for the job really helped.

I decided to just keep it full tang as some dear friends in norway gave me the antler for the handle, and it was too thick to take a stick tang, and i wanted to try the full tang. So it's a seax yes, but not for living history. I'll get another one for that :)

I cut my antler down, roughly shaped it, drilled holes, then used a bigger drillbit to inset the washers on my pins. Got it all epoxied up and peened my pins down. I had to reshape the handle a little but it's turned out to be really comfortable. It's bashed up, wonky as hell, and still plenty of epoxy mashed in here and there. But it suits me, and i'm chuffed. It's exactly what I had in my mind, and I accomplished what I set out to do, even if it is in a very hodgepodge way.

I'm not sure if i'll reshape the handle anymore, especially at the bottom where it's very off centre. I'm not too bothered as it's comfortable in the hand, so doesn't need to be shaped equally both sides. I'll play it by ear on that one.

SiggySeax 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

SiggySeax 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

SiggySeax 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

SiggySeax 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

SiggySeax 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Next is to coat it in superglue to seal the pores up (completely forgot to do it beforehand but there is enough epoxy in there to seal next to the tang hopefully). I fancy decorating the handle with some ring and dots, then it's just to make a sheath for it which will be a bit more my department.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
After you've sealed the ends do nothing else, coz that looks bloody excellent just as it is! Can you feel a bit of decorative leatherwork coming on yet, Hamish?

Excellent job, mate!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Great job! I would not worry if the handle is assymetrical, as long as it fits in your hand comfortable.
All my handguns have assymetrical grips, to fit my hands. Might look weird to some, but the best grip is with assymetrical.

No, the vikings did not use a "seax", but something very, very similar. I think the word seax is Saxon for knife.
It is just a large knife.
Vikings had small knifes and large knives, some of the large ones had the kink in the back just like a Saxon seax.
Maybe they got them in trade and discovered how goid they were?

Last edited:

Dreadhead

After you've sealed the ends do nothing else, coz that looks bloody excellent just as it is! Can you feel a bit of decorative leatherwork coming on yet, Hamish?

Excellent job, mate!

thanks mate, especially as i was very much inspired by your fine work :)

Great job! I would not worry if the handle is assymetrical, as long as it fits in your hand comfortable.
All my handguns have assymetrical grips, to fit my hands. Might look weird to some, but the best grip is with assymetrical.

No, the vikings did not use a "seax", but something very, very similar. I think the word seax is Saxon for knife.
It is just a large knife.
Vikings had small knifes and large knives, some of the large ones had the kink in the back just like a Saxon seax.
Maybe they got them in trade and discovered how goid they were?

Thanks Janne that was my thinking :)

Very nice indeed!

Atb

Tom

Thanks mate, it was going all very kak-handed until i got those rasp and files on the job! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE