Advice about handles and glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Hi all,

I have done a search for the answer to this so forgive me if I missed it.

As a reward for pruning my mother-in-laws beech trees I managed to keep some of the nice thicker branches. I had planned just to have a fire but I feel the need to 'do' something with them. So I decided to make a knife handle. Now knowing my limitations as I do, I've decided to start small and work my way up so today I purchased another firesteel to re-handle. My questions are then:

What's the best way to get the plastic handle off without breaking the steel?
What's the best glue to use to stick it all together?

I did see a picture on here that someone had done it before and I really liked the look of it so I know it can be done!

Thanks in advance for everyone that helps. :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've found the plastic handle comes off fairly easily by putting the steel in a vice (not TOO tight) and drive the handle with a hammer, using a bit of wood as a drift.

The new handle I fit using araldite (epoxy)

Dave

leon-1

For Future reference you would be better off getting one from the trading post or bearclaw as these don't have handles fitted and are considerably cheaper.

I think that most people use epoxy, I am just finishing one at the moment where the firesteel matches the handle of my knife, including a mosaic pin that fits through the top of the firesteel which is a slighlty smaller pin than the ones on my knife but look very similair :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE