adjustable height grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Birchwood of this forum has brought an interesting packed grill along to some of the kent meets. It's a really nice grill that's great for cooking over an open fire. It consists of a two part stick you put in the ground next to the fire, then a handle with a shaped block fits over the stick and holds the grill above the fire. The one Birchwood has has no label indicating who made it. Googling has come up with the name "Rome pioneer adjustable grill" ( bottom item on this page).

It looks like it sells for about $15 in the us, but my Googling forthe uk isn't finding any results. Does anyone know of a similar adjustable grill available in the uk that folds up nicely for fitting in a pack?

Thanks

Julia

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Julia,
I've removed your double post for you.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've seen one locally, Frontier grill I think? Looks like it packs down but will be limited to the circumference of the grill and length of holding stake. There was also an ash tray attached if I remember. I've looked at it a few times, ideal for the beach but I would never think it was 'packable' Julia.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
url

I have that one and I really like it. Easily fits into the backpack.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
Do you know the 'brandi grill'? You can adjust height, easily turn the grill plate towards or away from the fire, and everything fits into a backpack.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Cheers for the responses so far. None of them quite have the same elegant simplicity of the one Birchwood has:

grill01_sm.jpg

I wonder what the postage is on the $15 one from the US is...

J

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice design.

Shame can't find it in the UK, the custom charge is likely to be more than the cost of the actuall grill :/

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Looking at the grills available from the States, they seem a little overpriced for what they are. Not the $15 one obviously, but some of the others on the link above.

fenrir

Dec 12, 2014
Austria
I have the Braendi one (as mentioned by dewi, and offered by ASMC). I really like it. Fits into my backpack. The newer version actually has a slit in the plate-holder that allows you to scratch any sot off the plate before packing. Really effective. Well. And you can rotate the plate away from the fire, while also adjust the height. Don't see how it can become any better than that.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Nice!

Bit costly for me but like the design.

Aye, the actual killer on this is the €17.90 postage from Germany to the UK.

The one from ASMC has the advantage over the one from the states of being stainless steel, rather than chrome plated. I've also now tracked it down direct from the manufacturer in Switzerland. It's 49.95CHF, but I can't work out how much postage is, my German isn't good enough.

Cheers everyone for your help.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE