Adding side pockets to a dry bag?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a 30 Litre Alpkit Gourdon backpack that I would like to modify by adding a smaller dry bag each side. I can't think of a way to attach them securely that would also keep all the bags waterproof? I thought of press studs and silicone the insides or just glue the parts together? Sewing isn't an option I think?

Any ideas? This pack is really light but a little small. I would like side pouches to hold a sleeping bag and water bottle?

Steve

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can sew it but it will need sealing afterwards. Taslan is really strong stuff and PU impregnated I believe-used on inflatable boats.

It could be stuck with McNett seam seal, it's PU too and should stick like poo to a blanket but keeping the work tidy will be challenging.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well removable side pouches would be best. I would like to keep the weight to a minimum though? I have been looking at lightweight packs but figured if I can mod one I already have I could save a few bucks for other toys?

Strapping the side bags to the main may be tricky as there are no attachment points anywhere and the side bags may slip down?

I wonder if velcro would work?

Steve

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Strapping the side bags to the main may be tricky as there are no attachment points anywhere and the side bags may slip down?

If the contents of the sack are soft then it'll stay in place. Another alternative may be to make a "jacket" for the bag. With the side packs attached or just some molle webbing. This could be as simple as a sack with press studs or clips to allow it to be attached around the carry straps. Then you can add on as much as you like.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If the contents of the sack are soft then it'll stay in place. Another alternative may be to make a "jacket" for the bag. With the side packs attached or just some molle webbing. This could be as simple as a sack with press studs or clips to allow it to be attached around the carry straps. Then you can add on as much as you like.

I'd say this is the way forward for having the pouches removable.

Polyester Grosgrain is plenty strong enough for it but very lightweight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE