Add Salt to Meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Was reading a few older threads regarding meths and safety.

I add a good sized pinch of salt to my 500ml meths bottle when I fill it. It gives a hint of colour to the flame and so makes it a bit safer I feel.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Adding salt to meths gives a salt solution in your burner,have you had any problems with corrosion?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Interesting idea, but does this not clog up the burner?

Safety wise, I have been using a Trangia for about 30 years & teaching their usage for about 20 and never had an issue..

• I always teach my D o E groups / Scouts to hold their hand about 30cm above the burner and bring it down slowly to see if it is lit.
  • If the burner is too hot to hold in the palm of the hand, it is too hot to refill.
  • Always have a clear space around the stove to work in.
  • Never have stoves closer than 1.5m to each other. This prevents crowding in the cooking area and I was told of a group filling their stove next to a lit one which caused a flash over. Probably not true....but better safe than sorry!

Simon

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Regarding corrosion, I have not noticed a problem but none of my burners are more than two years years old.

I still test by hand but the salt acts as a quick sign it is alight ( not that its gone out ).

And I also make sure its cool enough to hold / cool enough to fill

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I always added a pinch of salt inside new built pop can stoves, for the same reason, the first tme you light one you never quite know what to expect from the jets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE