Acorn cup whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Fenlander said:
It's ok......I've collected loads to hand out to people :lmao:

That car alarm seemed to work very well this year.....although I never heard it :dunno:
Did anyone ever find out who's car that was, I had mixed feelings about it.........When I got back to my hammock at about 3 ish in the morning, all I could hear was snoring comming from all over the place, and then the car alarm went off and it completely stopped the snoring, made me chuckle............

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I slept right through it too! I seem to remember that the owner had to sleep in the car during the night to keep it off, in the end.

Cheers for that kevin, am always interested in another way to make an annoying high pitched noise. As if mors' whistles weren't enough...

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
The whistles add a bit of fun when hiking through the woods as does a "Leaf Pop"

Make a loose fist with one hand. Thumb upper most. Place a hazel leaf (any broad leaf will do) over the "hole" in your loose fist hand. Cup your other hand and bring it down quickly onto the leaf....pop!

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Fenlander said:
Last Sunday I was taught how to make a really loud whistle using an acorn cup

Nice one Fenlander!
When I was a kid we used to do this with seashells (cockles Cardium edule & Spisula species), never tried acorn shells though. I bet my 4 & 5 year old daughters would love to try this but I am a bit reluctant to show them because I am sure my woodland and beach walks will never be as quiet again if they learn this technique…
(I have visions of a stampede of local wildlife fleeing from the forests & beaches, trying to escape the piercing whistles)

Tom

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I went for my midweek run, ended up finishing it next to a old oak tree, I remember this post and found a acorn just larger than a penny piece across, It took a bit of practice but what a noise!!!!, scared the life out of a business man doing ‘stuff’in his car 50ft away. Without meaning to do it, I called a huge black Labrador that his owners were struggling to get back into their car. He looked like a small pony running at me, he peed on the bench I was sitting on and sprinted back. Top Tip for “free toy” to give to the kiddies, just make sure they or on the way to the evil-in-laws afore you teach them. :D :lmao:
They work better when the cup has dried, or so I have found.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
geoff88 said:
I love children with whistles......... fried or boiled. :D

Geoff

I'll second that. ;)

I was disappointed at the Moot to note that it took a few words from Tony to cure the "problem". Surely the kids were there with their parents? :banghead:

With the site filled with folks doing their stuff, using edged tools of all sorts and sizes, practicing archery and the like, the possiblity ( thankfully avoided I believe) of someone badly injuring themselves or someone else was ever present. Why then, did the group of archers I interrupted by emerging from the bushes to ask "Who blew three?" seem so surprised that I had left what I was doing to respond to the internationally known distress signal of three successive blasts on a whistle ? It turned out to be a small boy who had been allowed to do it by a parent "as practice". :banghead:

We are suposed to be bushcrafters, outdoorsmen (and ladies). Would we think to set off a red flare at sea "as practice", then look surprised when the lifeboatmen arrived ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE