Acorn Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
nobby said:
Is this as in an ideal world where I could be sure that I was leaching out tannins and not replacing them with various chemicals washed off the fields into the water supply?

Tannins are water soluble, organic phenolic compounds and found in some water naturally but at low concentrations, so I think that osmosis will be working in your favour.
Of course if the river is polluted then I’d not put anything "in it" I was going to later put in my mouth.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
true....but we don'ts lives in the fields.....well not everyday anyhoo.........just go by the stable...''soak them in changed water everyday fer three days''...an' ye can't go wrong (Ifin ye be lookin' t' cook them like)........says I.......tho roastin' them ''twice''(fer coffee) as I mentioned earlier, has had no ill effects t' mesel'....in fact....still drinkin' as I speaks...... :eek: ...lol....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I collected a handful or two of acorns this weekend and decided to try this coffe malarkey out. Peeling them seems to be the only difficult part, I feel like I have arthiritis! I cut the ends of and slit down the side, but they were still a bit fiddly.

After that I started to chop them with a knife but then thought "Sod this!" and got my food processor out! :D 10 seconds with the hopping thingy at high revs had them in little bits and I dry roasted them in a pan. I then ground them a bit more and got a bit of smoke coming off the grounds. I thought that that must be it and they were done, so I put a few spoons into a glass and poured some hot water on.

I didn't have a filtering media so I put a knife blade along the edge of the glass and poured the fluid into another glass, leaving all but the tiniest grounds behind. A small spoon of sugar and a quick sip left me in no doubt that this is damn good coffee substitute! I really like it and will be collecting more acorns this weekend! It's better than dandelion root coffee IMO!!

Cheers, Prost, Nazdrowie, Skol!! :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE