Acid etching advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Any knife makers out there know about acid etching? Ive decided to have a crack at it as well as scaling a knife. I intend when I've had a little practice to do it from a decent quality blank but for now have ordered a couple of these...
98a32447b125e0ff8ec4b6992b40a6c6.jpg

As for less than £4 I don't mind if they turn out a bit shoddy as a practice. Have some decent handling materials including bone, nicely figured woods and antler. Are there any pitfalls to acid etching I should know about? I will be using ferric chloride solution unless anyone knows of better acids to use. I have access to pretty much any chems I need too within reason so if dilute sulphuric, nitric anything like that works better I can try it.

Last edited:

Justa1098

Maker
Aug 15, 2013
Leicestershire
make sure its clean before you start. often better to warm the blank a little. remember etched blades rust quickly so i always give mine a good wipe in wd4o :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
make sure its clean before you start. often better to warm the blank a little. remember etched blades rust quickly so i always give mine a good wipe in wd4o :)

Any particular cleaner? I'm guessing a general decreasing agent possibly acetone? And good point on rusting never even considered that.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cool. Usually the very cheap ones seem to be these days. If they're 01 they're a bit of a bargain.

If they're actually any good I'll be pleasantly surprised. In fairness another Anglo arms knife I bought claimed to be stainless (525?) and was both magnetic and has corroded. Doesn't sound much like any stainless I've ever herd of

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If they're actually any good I'll be pleasantly surprised. In fairness another Anglo arms knife I bought claimed to be stainless (525?) and was both magnetic and has corroded. Doesn't sound much like any stainless I've ever herd of
The other one I saw said 440C. Although my hultafors HVK was only £4 and is carbon steel.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Can't complain for the price really it makes you wonder how they make them so cheap. Even if they turn out to be stainless as I said I do have acess to some chemicals that will make very short work of it. Just didn't want it to eat the blade too much

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Electrochemical etching works on stainless though does it not?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE